• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    Fellas I need some advice. I have a 1998 Ford F150 Van that the A/C stopped working this past summer due to the (I assume) clutch on the front of the compressor breaking for lack of a better description. It now makes a very embarrasing rattle type sound. I'm sure thats what it is because it doesn't engage any more and just slowly turns and vibrates. I just want the noise to stop. It doesn't seem to be affecting the engine performance any. Can I just wrap some duct tape or shove a shim in it? Is it possible to just take it off? I am somewhat handy with car repair but this is a new territory for me.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    Dose it make the noise all the time? Have you tried unplugging the compressor so the clutch will not try to engage? You could also just take the clutch plate off of the front on the compressor. Most AC clutch plates are just held on with one or just a few bolts on the front of the compressor. The bearing and pulley are pressed on the compressor and will not fall off or anything. Good quick fix if you ever have a compressor lock up. Both would be free and easy. If it is the bearing on the front of the compressor that is making the noise than the bypass pulley would be your best option.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    Dose it make the noise all the time? Have you tried unplugging the compressor so the clutch will not try to engage? You could also just take the clutch plate off of the front on the compressor. Most AC clutch plates are just held on with one or just a few bolts on the front of the compressor. The bearing and pulley are pressed on the compressor and will not fall off or anything. Good quick fix if you ever have a compressor lock up. Both would be free and easy. If it is the bearing on the front of the compressor that is making the noise than the bypass pulley would be your best option.

It does make noise all of the time and no I haven't tried unplugging it. A guy I work with suggested I could try using the belt thats made for the engine without AC and just not hook it up, also potentially gaining better mileage until I get the system fixed.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    It does make noise all of the time and no I haven't tried unplugging it. A guy I work with suggested I could try using the belt thats made for the engine without AC and just not hook it up, also potentially gaining better mileage until I get the system fixed.

That's good advice, I'd do that until you fix it.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    The bypass pulley might be what is used on non AC units. Some vehicles use the same belt and put on a pulley instead of compressor. I know some vehicles you can not just put on different belt because the compressor is where the belt would run. Hope you have a set up that you can just put a shorter belt on.

n3v3rtrstamor0n

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    :twocents: the cheapest would be to buy a bypass pully.but remeber when you do that sometimes you have to buy a different belt.otherwise buy a new a/c...:ar15:

Top Bottom