• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ttrimcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lafayette
    So i found an M&P 40 on monday and really want shorten the trigger on this thing. This gun is my everyday carry piece so i don't want a crazy short and light trigger but the stock trigger is just not great. I am thinking of getting the aek trigger and the dcaek kit from apex. Was wondering if this is going to be too much? or could i just go with the aek and the duty carry spring kit and polishing the usb?

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just put a thumb safety on it and set the trigger at like 4.5 lbs, or as light as you can safely operate it. Then you don't have to worry about it going off in your pants.

:twocents:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just a question... Have you trained with your M&P? If not the one you currently have, maybe another? I'm just trying to learn what you did to determine you didn't like the factory trigger.

AF Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    North East, Indiana
    I would love to do that but don't want to be without my gun for up to 6 months. I'm a machinist by trade so doing the install and other work is no problem.

Understand. I'm not ready to lose mine that long either. Once I have the cash for the other work I want done. I was hoping I could talk him into putting me into a cue and send it out closer to the time the work would be done.
    ??

ttrimcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lafayette
    Just a question... Have you trained with your M&P? If not the one you currently have, maybe another? I'm just trying to learn what you did to determine you didn't like the factory trigger.

I have actually not even shot it yet... yes i know flame me... but I have put about 600-700 rounds through my sd40 and the trigger pull length is pretty close to the same. I shot a guys new glock 10mm a couple weeks ago and fell in love with the trigger but love the smith and wesson feel ergonomics wise. Going to go put 100-200 rounds down range this weekend with the stock setup on the m&p.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I have the DCAEK and RAM in my M&P9 and love it. It isn't too light, it's a nice short pull, consistent all the way, nice positive feel on the trigger reset. If you feel a trigger job is needed, I would only go with this.

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    I have the DCAEK and RAM in my M&P9 and love it. It isn't too light, it's a nice short pull, consistent all the way, nice positive feel on the trigger reset. If you feel a trigger job is needed, I would only go with this.

:+1: on the DCAEK and the RAM. I also installed the Apex Extractor.

The DCAEK makes the trigger soooo much better.
    I put about 500 shots through the factory M&P 9 set up, as soon as I installed the APEX stuff, I could never ever go back.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I guess it's all about personal preference. I tried the Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, etc. I actually hate the length of pull on this style of guns. I put the FSS on my M&P 40c and fell in love with it. I wouldn't want it any other way. It's not too light or too short of pull. Everyone that's shot it really likes it. If you get a chance give one a try. If you lived closer I would let you shoot mine.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have actually not even shot it yet... yes i know flame me... but I have put about 600-700 rounds through my sd40 and the trigger pull length is pretty close to the same. I shot a guys new glock 10mm a couple weeks ago and fell in love with the trigger but love the smith and wesson feel ergonomics wise. Going to go put 100-200 rounds down range this weekend with the stock setup on the m&p.

This seems to be the persistent problem people are trying to solve. Love the Glock trigger, but like the ergos of the M&P.

I carry Glocks but also have an M&P. I had the RAM installed, but not the other pieces of the puzzle on the M&P. It brings it part of the way, but it is still not really like a Glock trigger. At this point, I have not decided to go further with the adoption of the M&P. The consensus seems to be the DCAEK and the RAM gets you there.

ttrimcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lafayette
    This seems to be the persistent problem people are trying to solve. Love the Glock trigger, but like the ergos of the M&P.

I carry Glocks but also have an M&P. I had the RAM installed, but not the other pieces of the puzzle on the M&P. It brings it part of the way, but it is still not really like a Glock trigger. At this point, I have not decided to go further with the adoption of the M&P. The consensus seems to be the DCAEK and the RAM gets you there.

SOOO MANY OPTIONS!!!! haha... i am going to go shoot the gun some tomorrow and try and figure out exactly what i am going to do. I dont care to make the trigger pull any less pound wise but just want a shorter pull.

iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    You could try the apex fss and trigger, but keep the old sear in and see how it runs.

S&W M&P FORWARD SET SEAR & TRIGGER KIT | Brownells
    I like this idea I put a duty carry kit in all mine even my shield and just love them. I did do a 2.5# in my full size plus had the slide machined and put on a trijicon RMR. Glock makes good guns I just don't like the grip angle

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I put the USB in my 9. The factory sear was just like the Apex so I didn't change that.

I too still don't like the feel of the trigger. It is smooth now but still long. I am used to a 1911 style trigger. I would like to get rid of the "mushy" feel that the M&P has.

I read about the RAM not working in the newer pistols. I just bought mine in January. Is their a way to tell if it will fit?

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    After about 2,500 rounds I put the DCAEK and Ram in my M&P. It gave me a more positive reset and that's what I was looking for. I actually tried the AEK trigger for a while and ended up going back to the original trigger - I had about 11,000 rounds through my M&P at that point and at that point just felt more comfortable shooting with the hinged trigger.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I'm sure glad I don't have to send my "blocky" old Glock anywhere to get the trigger like I want it. M&P IS a great pistol but trigger mods are expensive and it seems that, like Glocks, many owners of striker fired pistol aren't really excited about the factory trigger. It's been my personal experience that most of the people that say the factory trigger is just fine are the people that seldom make it to the range. (Sad to say my Wife falls into that category) but I'm still working on that little issue. ;)
    I know the Pros (and a lot of other people) say that trigger time rather than trigger mods are what is important. I agree with that completely but most of us don't have access to a range and all the ammo that we can consume every day like the Pros do. My personal experience is that the closer I can get my Glock trigger to what a 1911 trigger feels like the more accurate I become.
    Now my disclaimer, before anyone gets their shorts in a bind, keep in mind that this is MY personal experience and just my .02 for what it's worth. :D

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

ttrimcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lafayette
    I'm sure glad I don't have to send my "blocky" old Glock anywhere to get the trigger like I want it. M&P IS a great pistol but trigger mods are expensive and it seems that, like Glocks, many owners of striker fired pistol aren't really excited about the factory trigger. It's been my personal experience that most of the people that say the factory trigger is just fine are the people that seldom make it to the range. (Sad to say my Wife falls into that category) but I'm still working on that little issue. ;)
    I know the Pros (and a lot of other people) say that trigger time rather than trigger mods are what is important. I agree with that completely but most of us don't have access to a range and all the ammo that we can consume every day like the Pros do. My personal experience is that the closer I can get my Glock trigger to what a 1911 trigger feels like the more accurate I become.
    Now my disclaimer, before anyone gets their shorts in a bind, keep in mind that this is MY personal experience and just my .02 for what it's worth. :D

i sure wish S&W would have gave this gun the trigger it deserved from the factory. I shot about 50 rounds through it yesterday. (took my fiance to the range with me for the first time so i let her shoot way more than i did, this was her reward for taking the basic safety class at applied ballistics!) I will probably go shoot some more with it today. I like the actual pull of the trigger once you get past the pretravel so i might just call apex and talk to them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I see that you kind of like Glocks, :) but do you have some tips for those of us who have M&P's as to what trigger mods should be done to get it close to the 1911?

Top Bottom