• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cjcmajor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson 642. I have since fallen in love with this design and feel of this firearm. I would be interested in possible seeking out and purchasing other J frame models, but i am fairly new to revolvers as well as the numbering and labeling system used is rather confusing.

What i am hoping for is help in understanding this system so that i can navigate myself to a informed future purchase. I am mainly interested in the "older" models. Not the newer scandium/ TI...etc.

Thanks to all that are willing to help me out

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    There are a few books out there too that are pretty good for this, but I apologize for not remember the titles off the top of my head... I'd check out Amazon... Pretty much the first number designates the model and the - number is the series, ie model 60-1. Is a model 60 and the 1 is the series. The series are used to signify design changes. I guess it was around the 1950's, I think, that they went to this numerical system. I am by no means an expert, but hope this maybe points the in the right direction..

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Big thing to remember is J-frame S&W's were either square but grip frame or round butt grip frame. It is easier to find aftermarket grips for the RB which does feel better to me for carry.

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The "J" frames are, IMHO, the ultimate in "always in your pocket" carry pieces. The best reference currently is the Standard catalog of Smith & Wesson, by Jim Supca and Richard Nahas. It's in the 3rd edition, and covers every Smith and variation ever made.

If you think you might like vintage J frames, look for a model 40 (Centennial) or a model 38 (Bodyguard). Both are blue steel, hammerless and great pocket revolvers. Good luck!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Congrats on your 642!

Now get some nice looking wood grips for it!

-J-

P6010308.jpg

Cjcmajor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    indy_guy_77- those are some awesome grips. i have actually been looking for something nearly identical to those. i really like the wood like and the fact that they are no larger than the grips that come with the gun. i think once i make the next purchase, another j-frame, i will start to get some accessories. can you tell me which ones those are?

thank to everyone else. lots of great info. i think i am leaning most toward the 640 but still also entertaining the idea of the 40 and the 60. The problem with the 40 is i wont be able to interchange grips.

so now the question is.... what do you all think of these firearms?

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Anything starting with a "6" is stainless. Anything starting with a "3" is one of the scandium models. I've owned a 649, 442, 60 and an older Model 38. Still have the 442 and the 60. You might wanna think about keeping the rubber grips on it. Wood tends to wiggle around a bit if you shoot +P in these little guns.
    I carry the 442 almost religiously...my load is the standard 125 gr Federal Nyclad round that they just started producing again this year. Milder than a +P and it still expands to about .65 caliber, even in a snubby.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    can you tell me which ones those are?

Wish I could tell you a manufacturer... But I bought them from a big "grip guy" at the Indy1500 several months ago.

They DO look sharp, don't they? :D

But those things HURT. Not at all comfortable to shoot. It's on the verge of intolerable with standard pressure ammo... And downright painful with +p.

The factory rubber grips were slightly more comfortable in hand when shooting.

-J-

lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm no S & W expert but I do carry a 442 and I love it. I carry it with 125 Nyclads. My friend carries a 60. Don't think you can go wrong with a Smith. Good luck and enjoy.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    As someone else stated,, go to the S&W forum....more infoe than you will ever need....those guys are true afficiandos...and luckily I am one of them!

Top Bottom