• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've used a rat poison that I've gotten from Tractor Supply, it's called Rampage and comes in small squares. I'll drop 2-3 down their holes and there seems to be fewer around. I've also got to give a +1 for a pellet rifle.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    If he could get a hold of one to drop anything down it's hole, don't you think he'd just put them in a cage? :-D

They make poison suppositories?

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Pellet guns aren't an option for me and I've tried poison pellets of all forms, and the dang critters were still everywhere. One time I spotted one mocking me by coming up on my deck and eating sunflower seeds he took from my bird feeders 20 feet away... and that did it. The war was on.

Mouse traps? Forget it! Get the old fashioned huge spring-loaded rat traps. Put a dab of peanut butter on the trip lever, not as bait but as an adhesive. Stick some bird seeds, including sunflower seeds, in the peanut butter plus a few scattered around the trip lever as an attractant.

In 2 weeks I nabbed 12 chippies between 2 traps, and then they dried-up. If I saw any evidence of them returning, I'd set out the traps and quell the resurgence within a week.

It's virtually a guarantee to work. Just make sure you don't have a neighborhood cat that likes peanut butter!

PS- Yep, I had one 'incident' of a curious Blue Jay, but...

:+1:

Absolutely works! I've had decent luck with poison "peanuts" from Rural King as well.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    OK This works I use it all the time. Take a gallon empty milk jug fill it with water, When you see them go down the hole tip the milk jug up over the hole with the water running down the hole they will run right up into the milk jug, durn it right side up and put the cap back on it, you then can turn them lose out in the country or you can drown them, up to you. Hope this helps.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Mouse traps? Forget it! Get the old fashioned huge spring-loaded rat traps. Put a dab of peanut butter on the trip lever, not as bait but as an adhesive.
    It's virtually a guarantee to work. Just make sure you don't have a neighborhood cat that likes peanut butter!

You sound like that's a problem. You see "problem".... I see "bonus"!!! :rockwoot: :laugh: :cheers:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    OK This works I use it all the time. Take a gallon empty milk jug fill it with water, When you see them go down the hole tip the milk jug up over the hole with the water running down the hole they will run right up into the milk jug, durn it right side up and put the cap back on it, you then can turn them lose out in the country or you can drown them, up to you. Hope this helps.

These are chipmunks, not SALMON!!! Can chipmunks swim upstream?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    These are chipmunks, not SALMON!!! Can chipmunks swim upstream?

chipmunk-swimming.jpg

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    well guns are a no go per a pending divorce if used. I have a blow gun though maybe that would work? I was thinking more along the lines of poison, trap, etc.

Please do not put out poison. It could get to the wrong animal OR kids could get into it. :rolleyes:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009

I agree. Catch and release if you can! :rockwoot:

RedRedWine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You sound like that's a problem. You see "problem".... I see "bonus"!!! :rockwoot: :laugh: :cheers:
    Well, one local cat occasionally would munch on a chipmunk (it was such a pleasing sound!) so I didn't want to get rid of one form of solution to the problem. So I'd try to hide the traps in areas that a cat would be unlikely to be able to get to.
    BTW, that cat would then head back 'home' to the house across the street, and I'd watch as they'd open the door and let her back in. I bet those neighbors found some interesting fur balls coughed up!

After this post reminded me earlier, I have to admit that I went outside and re-set my first trap for the season. Might as well be proactive about this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a scoped Gamo Shadow 1000 and a small Havahart trap. Both have worked for me. Give me a heads up and I'll get them to you to borrow.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have 2 chipmunks in my backyard that are digging through all my flowers and other plants. I threw out a mouse trap but those little bastards are too quick. any suggestions?

Rat traps, chip and dale are too big for mouse traps. Watch for a place where they zip along next to a wall and just put the trap up against the wall. You don't even need bait.

They are pretty tricky though and learn fast. I've killed a lot of 'em but now I'm down to Chip Einstien and been after him for a couple weeks now with every thing I've got. He even beat me with the shot gun in my hands one time. Never got a shot he was so fast in to the weeds.

Top Bottom