• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dispatch765

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Brown County
    Ok, So I am finally ready to buy an AR (I don't think my wife is ready for me to buy one though). I am curious, with all of the manufacturers out there, which one is the best? The most relialable?

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    There are many, many, many, many threads on this. Just use the search feature. Everyone will have their own opinion though, plus it depends on what you want to do with it.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As stated above, opinions will vary to incredible degrees on this question. The only word of advice that I will give is that as this is your 1st AR, buy a complete rifle from a reputable manufacturer and from a credible dealer. Thus should you ever have issue it will be covered. the biggest mistake you could make right now, in my opinion, is to buy a parts gun in order to save a few hundred dollars. Buy once cry once, peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold.

Which is ironic that I write that as you can not measure peace of mind in order to value it against gold so in theory, peace of mind realy isnt worth anything.......... just sayin.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Micah,

I too am looking to do this within the next month or so and am trying to decide whether I just purchase the entire rifle or if I will build a custom one.

What I can tell you is the following:

If I decide to purchase an entire rifle, I have narrowed my choices down to: Rock River, S&W, Colt, Daniel Defense and Sabre Defence.

If I decide to build, I will be using components from Rock River, Spikes, Daniel Defense, Magpul, Troy Industries, and Larue.

Personally my price point is $1000 - $1200 so it limits my choices but quality options exist either route I decide to take.

Only you can answer the questions of what you're planning to use it for, but for me the primary reason that I want to go with an AR is the versatility of being able to switch out the uppers in order to change the "purpose" of the firearm.

Good Luck, God Bless and thanks for posting as I am looking forward to learning more along with you.

Keith

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Two factors to consider:

1 - your budget
    2 - the intended purpose of the rifle, what profile you want, tacticool goodies, etc.

The way I did it, and the way I would advise, is to buy parts and build it yourself. That way it is exactly to your specs, and you know how it works, should it need any service.

Don't get too hung up on the details. Chances are, the rifle will evolve quite a bit over time, and it may quite possibly multiply, giving you more rifles to modify.

Don't let someone convince you that you have to have a Gucci rifle because it's the only one that the Navy-Delta-SS Door Gunner-Rangers use. Mil-spec is exactly that, and under $1500, they're pretty much all parts guns. Just stay away from Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne, and you'll be happy.

FWIW, if you want to start with a complete rifle, CDNN has had some pretty decent rifles at good prices as of late, and sometimes they'll even throw in some mags. Remember though, that "optics ready", means you'll be spending at least another $100 on sights and/or optics.

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    I have a Colt and two Rock River AR's. I have to use an ACCUWEDGE in the Colt due to the loose fitting upper. Not so with the Rock River. Perfect fit! My vote goes to the Rock River.

vf-202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    so far every one has agreed with rock river. I do too.

My first AR was a lower from Rock River.

But as was stated above, mil spec is still mil spec.

if the manufacturer follows it you are good.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a Colt Match, just ran into it, and got LUCKY, my brother has a Bushmaster, both are fine rifles.... If you are going to do any long range shooting, 200 yds, or longer, get a good one. Plinking, at 50 yds or so, it shouldn't make any difference...

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    ive had 2 dpms rifles, not single issue with either one, at 300 yds, im getting nice tight groups. one is set up at a basic M4 with a 4x scope and the other is also a M4 heavy match barrel and 3-9x scope. DPMS isnt that bad but if youve got the 1000 dollars or more, go rock river or stag arms or even bushmaster.

Top Bottom