• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustAMom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Beech Grove, IN
    Went to the Gun Show today, and it was the first time, that my husband had a chance to see the XDs. I had put one on Layaway a few weeks ago, and now I am having second thoughts.

It all started when my LTCC came through, and my husband let me go through his handguns, and pick out something that felt right. I ended up with his Smith & Wesson 99. I love the way that it feels. I have not shot the XDs yet, and I am afraid that the recoil will be too much for me, but the weight of the P99 is too heavy for me to carry everyday.

When locking up with gun safe, I made a joke about "blinging out" the P99, then he suggested that I get my own gun. Problem is - I don't think that S&W makes the P99 anymore, and he is NOT willing to let me have his pristine "baby."

OH - and PLEASE don't suggest a glock - I don't like them at all.

PaxRomana

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    The P99 and XDs are very different guns.I assume from your comments that this will be a daily carry gun? If that is the case, then you answered the question on the P99 and we need to focus on smaller pistols. Personally I love my XDs, and I was actually surprised at how reasonable the recoil was from such a compact .45 pistol. That said, it is still stout and certainly more than you'd find in a similar sized 9mm. I have no idea how recoil sensitive you are or what shooting experience you have so it is difficult to recommend it to you one way or the other. If you have experience with a .45 and find it tolerable, the XDs is a very nice pistol for carry purposes. Have you handled a subcompact XD 9mm? Thicker grip but might be a better choice if you like the XD platform but don't want the recoil of a .45. Also, there is the Walther PPS in 9mm or .40. Basically a subcompact version of the P99. Ideally you should either rent or borrow whatever pistol you are considering and put some rounds downrange before you buy. Not always possible though...

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Justamom, my wife and I both started on an XD and love it. We then got her a Ruger lc9 assuming that, as it was smaller, it would be a better conceal gun for a gal. We're now talking about getting the Missus her own XD, she just likes it that much.

She carries in her purse and is looking for other carry options as we speak. I'll try to get her to put her thoughts on here so can get another gals perspective.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    You will most likely do well with the XD. What barrel version did you get? The subcompact has a little snap in the 9mm, but nothing that you can't handle.

However as I always tell people, its what FITS YOU THE BEST that matters.
    Plus the XD is simple to maintain and I've never had a issue with mine.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I'd take an XDs over the P99 for a few reasons. First, size. The P99 isn't a big gun, but the XDs is TINY. I was playing with one at work last week and it fit in my jean pocket easily. Second, design. I'm not a fan of the Walther style mag release, too easy to actuate under stress. Also, the P99 is an aging design. the PPQ is a much better gun to put up against the XDs.

JustAMom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Beech Grove, IN
    I want to thank you guys so much, I think I was just in SERIOUS gun overload, because of the show.

To answer some questions...
    Love the XD platform.
    I will be carrying in a holster IWB
    I have big hands, and I am a "Sturdy Gal" I have no problems with any of the .40 that I have shot.

XDLover - you're not bias at all huh? I think that the XDs fits me the best.
    It is a .45

lowendgenerator - I think you have a point about size. I want to carry concealed. With the P99, I would have to get new clothes, cause the ones I wear, would have been too tight. Money I spend on clothes, I can't spend on ammo :(

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I have a .40 Walther PPS that I CC IWB and have for several years. It's great. I guess you would say it is my EDC. Very comfortable in a CBST. I think some have said it is an ugly gun, but I actually like it. Very comfortable to shoot and wear. Likely wouldn't be using it for extended shooting periods for fun, but I didn't get it for that either.

Just recently got the Beretta Nano in 9mm and also like that too. It has a shorter grip, and slightly shorter barrel length (overall). It's gonna be a toss-up as to what I do for an EDC at this point.

Hate to kick the PPS to the curb so quickly, but sometimes lighter is better and more comfortable.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    OK, here is my :twocents: I own both the PPQ in 9MM and the XDs in .45.
    The XDs is smaller. It has a smaller magazine. It has :ar15:

That being said... the .45 has a straighter, pusher typer of recoil.
    The 9MM has a quicker, snappier recoil; albiet, somewhat lighter.

Try 'em both... you'll see what I mean. :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't have any experience with the XDs... Though I think a better comparison would be with an M&P Shield or with a Kahr pistol. 'Course I don't have any experience with a Shield, either...

But I have owned two different Walther P99 pistols. Similar to the SW99, but wholly imported. (Kind of like the difference between a Honda and an Acura. P99 = Acura)

The P99 is a very well built pistol. Ergonomics are top notch IMO. I think that their "AS" triggers really are an engineering marvel - but they're going towards the PPQ with a "Glock-esque" trigger.

I found the P99 to be quite "flippy" upon firing - both in 9mm and in .40S&W. .40 especially. I found it very difficult for ME to achieve controlled pairs. Repair / replacement parts aren't terribly easy to find. It will generally always require a call to S&W - and they'll probably want it sent back to them. 9mm mags are difficult to find, too. .40 mags are everywhere... Actual P99s are quite expensive, too.

My only experience with the XD platform: I owned an XD-9 for a short time. I found it, too, to be too "flippy" - owing to the tall slide profile. Nothing at all wrong with it - I just didn't enjoy shooting it nearly as much as I do my M&P. I've also shot a few other XD pistols - couple of XD45 and a couple of XD-9sc. I'd still rather shoot my M&P or an M&Pc vs any XD.

Kahr: I owned a CW-40 for a few years. Fantastic pistol to carry. Quite accurate. Trigger makes it difficult for fast follow up shots - as does harsh recoil. MY pistol had issues. I made sure the factory took care of those issues then I sold it with full disclosure of said issues.

A friend of mine had a Kahr P-45 for a short time. Carried like a dream. HIS was a basket case, though. And again, harsh recoil owing to a super light gun.

I'm still seeking out a Kahr CW-9 for myself, actually. One day I hope to have some actual trigger time behind a M&P Shield and a CW-9 / P-9 to make a much more informed decision. Though the price point on the CW-9 is mighty nice - especially used.

-J-

Mongoose1.1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Hi Justamom. Try shooting these different models at a range before pulling the trigger on a purchase. .45 polymer compacts usually have a lot of recoil and can be difficult to manage under stress (self-defense/combat situation) without a lot of practice.

Shoot different models and see what you think. My wife and I have a smith and wesson Shield 9mm and it is very reliable and easy to control.
    It shoots like a compact model not a subcompact even though it is very small.

FYI: In reality, most gunfights are at 15 feet or less and last about three seconds (usually 3 feet - 3 rounds - 3 seconds).

Ballistically, at close range, there is not going to be a big enough difference in penetration when shooting hollowpoints to necessitate the added (and sometimes considerable) recoil. When dealing with all of the major calibers (9mm on up) accuracy (shot placement) is the most important factor. I do recommend using heavier 9mm rounds though not 115 grain.

Don't take my word for it. All of the top-tier trainers with military special operations experience will tell you the same thing. I prefer .45 personally, and my wife can handle a .45, but she's much more accurate under stress with 9mm. Try it out and see what works best for you! :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom