• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Like it says. I am wanting to put a scope on my Mossberg 702 plinkster .22LR. I know nothing about scopes. I have always shot open sites with all my guns but would like to get into shooting with some glass. I'm looking for something that will be user friendly and that is fairly simple to adjust. I'd like to spend somewhere around $30-$40 on the glass to start with. I only have the capability to shoot out to about 200 yards maximum but mainly 100 yards or less. My eyes aren't great so anything that has maybe a larger glass to look through might help? I don't really know. Any help and recommendations are appreciated.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Optics Planet had Simmons .22Mag scopes,4x,reconditioned,for $25 incl.shipping. I bought 2 in mid December,as I've had good luck w/ Simmons in the past. Their prodiamond shotgun scopes have done well for me on .22's also. Decent image quality,hold zero well,last about 5 yrs of range use and squirrel hunting,then become squirrley themselves.

beardedbrodel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    West of Indy
    Go to the Indy 1500. They have hundreds of cheap scopes in your price range. I have a cheap illuminated mil dot on my 10/22 target and love it. I believe it is a Leapers Accushot.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Go to the Indy 1500. They have hundreds of cheap scopes in your price range. I have a cheap illuminated mil dot on my 10/22 target and love it. I believe it is a Leapers Accushot.

Most of the cheap scopes there are sniper optics, leapers, barska, osprey and nc star. 2 shows ago one of the sniper optics customers came to me and ask how to use his new scope. Apparently their salesman sent him to me because he had no clue. I wasnt busy and even though I thought it was pretty brave to buy from a diffrent vendor and want me to do the leg work I decided to help him out. I took his new scope out of the box to show him the turrets, etc. when I showed him how to adjust the elevation turret I noticed the turret was locked up. The scope was brand new and broke. I told him to take it back wich he did. A few minutes later he came back pissed. apparentally he was going to have to ship the scope to china to have it inspected, and fixed for a fee (as if shipping to china isnt expensive enough)

long story short he bought a working scope from me, but now he had

1 working scope 129 dollars
    1 paper wieght 40 bucks
    total 169 dollars

vs

1 working scope 129 dollars

When buying cheap scopes keep in mind that "limited lifetime warranty" may mean paying 2x the cost of the scope to ship it to ? and another 1x the price of the scope to fix the scope. Most folks have to learn this the hard way, I know I did. I woulnt take anyones work on it, and wasted alot of money.

There is defintally alot more money to be made with cheap knockoff scopes, but there is a reason I wont carry them. The vendors at the 1500 most defintally make more money at a show than I do, but we have diffrent business philosophies. There method is to make money off of alot of people 1 time each. My method is to make alot of money of of my customers, but to do it by earning repeat customers and making alot of money off of them because I treat them right and buy alot of product over the years.

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    You might try looking over at Rimfire Central forum. There are quite a few people that know a lot about optics and are not so "limited" to one particular brand so scope like here on INGO. Also look on eBay. Armslist is also a good source for products. Don't give up.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You might try looking over at Rimfire Central forum. There are quite a few people that know a lot about optics and are not so "limited" to one particular brand so scope like here on INGO. Also look on eBay. Armslist is also a good source for products. Don't give up.

Rimfire central is a welth of knowlege, I dont see to many folks recomending cheap scope on there, but im not on there as much as ingo. I recomend all diffrent brands of scopes for specific uses. But when your running on a limited budget and looking for the best scope in its price class Vortex is the answer. I found a post of yours from not long ago that says you agree with me. Has somthing changed?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._vortex_optic_razor_red_dot_reflex_style.html

"My experience with birding optics from all the top vendors is that Vortex seems to price below and offers a great warranty. Very competitive in the world of optics and Vortex is relatively young so they about have to price below others Swarovski,Leica, Nikon, Zeiss to get in front of the audience. I introduced a close friend to a pair of Vortex binoculars and he was very pleased overall and he got them at a great price. "

BTSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sellersburg
    There are alot of options, the problem is your typically better off with Irons than a scope under 100 dollars. If you can raise your budget even 30 bucks it opens up a whole new level of quality

I am ignorant of how much a scope should cost for a 22lr. I will be using it for plinking fun, but would like a scope instead of using Iron sites. How much should I be looking to spend, and what are some recommendations? I do not have to stay under $100.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    i have had dozens of 22's with 50 ish dollar scopes...and never a single issue or problem. held zero fine. survived the rigors of coonhunting (cant say the same for all the rifles)

never found a need to spend more

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I'm sure others will dispute this but for the money, I have had really good luck with the BSA Sweet series scopes. Have one for my .22 and another on my .17 HMR. Nice scopes that hold zero and the Bullet drop compensate works very well. Just my :twocents: and they can be had for well under $100.00.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am ignorant of how much a scope should cost for a 22lr. I will be using it for plinking fun, but would like a scope instead of using Iron sites. How much should I be looking to spend, and what are some recommendations? I do not have to stay under $100.

This is what I run on my personal 22 that is just a mess around squirrel rifle
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 V-Plex Rimfire

mueller and nikon prostaff will have some options aswell. Price on the scope above is 119. I know the prostaff does not have as good glass quality as the scope I linked, but it may be a few bucks cheaper

Regular Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Im not far from you if you want to see some options, but to be honest if your looking for a 30-40 dollar scope stick with irons and save money.

Good advice. I have Vortex almost exclusively for my stuff, and they make a rimfire scope that has really clear glass for a reasonable price.

Top Bottom