• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    OK, I have several motion lights around. They work great. Helps when it gets dark in the yard they will trip so I am not stumbling around.

The story... I have 2 motion lights, pretty much facing each other on 2 buildings. But far enough apart they do not trip each other. One is always tripping. 5-20 times a night. (guessing) I keep dialing the sensitivity back and it does not help. The other rarely comes on. Could be animals, we have them all over here... But the second one does not trip (turn on).

Finally I got fed up with the faulty motion sensor. I replaced the whole light and sensor.

The same thing keeps happening with the new light. It keeps randomly tripping. The other light almost never. Unless some kind of critter. I kept dialing the sensitivity down and it keeps coming on. The sensitivity got so low, it would not turn on when I walked in front of it. (still was tripping) I check the cameras around the light and there is absolutely Nothing there.

It started around early spring. Even the neighbors say they see the light on during the night. Only thing I can think is it must be demons. It is getting really eerie.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    That will be a hard one to troubleshoot over the internet. You did good replacing the fixture. Maybe check all wirenut connections in the box and wherever else it is fed from? Make sure they are not loose.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    With all the crap that companies sell now I wouldn’t be surprised if the new sensor is faulty. I have 6 motion lights and 2 have lasted over 15 years while a the rest been changed twice in that many years. I’ll be curious to see if someone has a good answer.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, I have several motion lights around. They work great. Helps when it gets dark in the yard they will trip so I am not stumbling around.

The story... I have 2 motion lights, pretty much facing each other on 2 buildings. But far enough apart they do not trip each other. One is always tripping. 5-20 times a night. (guessing) I keep dialing the sensitivity back and it does not help. The other rarely comes on. Could be animals, we have them all over here... But the second one does not trip (turn on).

Finally I got fed up with the faulty motion sensor. I replaced the whole light and sensor.

The same thing keeps happening with the new light. It keeps randomly tripping. The other light almost never. Unless some kind of critter. I kept dialing the sensitivity down and it keeps coming on. The sensitivity got so low, it would not turn on when I walked in front of it. (still was tripping) I check the cameras around the light and there is absolutely Nothing there.

It started around early spring. Even the neighbors say they see the light on during the night. Only thing I can think is it must be demons. It is getting really eerie.
    A little Scotch tape over the sensor area will cut down the sensitivity. Look for anything that blows even a little in the wind. The other thing is some bugs are attracted to the infrared or they may have a nest of bugs somewhere close to what ever it is attached to.

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I have several driveway sensors that start going off at random times. Drives the dogs nuts. Usually, it is a random weed or a spider has found a new hotspot. I do agree with Foszoe to switch lites.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Are the ones going off randomly on the same circuit branch? What else is on that circuit, it could be an electrically noisy appliance like a refrigerator that is confusing or tripping the motion circuit.
    Dedicated circuit. It goes from the breaker right to the light. One run with no splices, except at the motion sensor. (not even a wall switch)

I was thinking maybe wind, but the other sensor/lights never nuisance trip.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd change the location of the problem light. Even a little bit could get it by the irritation that keeps setting it off.

These things are modern technology miracles. Sometimes you cannot tell what might be phantom setting them off.

I have found the neighbor's cat loves to see himself lit up. A couple of bambi's are the same. I can hear them laughing at me in the distance.

:n00b:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Random tree limbs blowing around, maple tree "helicopter" seeds, tall weeds, flags, flying bugs..

There are a myriad of things that CAN set them off.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... Even the neighbors say they see the light on during the night...

A little public service message about being neighborly;

For gosh sakes, be conscious about where your outdoor lighting is directed in relation to your neighbors!

Even lighting up their yard, let alone shining in their windows, can be quite annoying to infuriating.

:soapbox:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Is it possible passing cars are setting it off? My daughter has a motion light on her garage that comes on every time a car passes, and it’s a good 150 feet off the road. They say they have adjusted the sensitivity down, but one of my motion lights faces the same way as hers, and is about 30 feet closer to the road, and doesn’t activate for a car going down the road.

Top Bottom