• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marlin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    North Liberty
    I discovered recently that I am anticipating the recoil which is causing all kinds of accuracy issues.

Looking for any help with some dry fire drills to help with this.

Thanks

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    How long have you been shooting? It was common to me starting out, as I would often reflexively shut my eyes and/or jerk the trigger. Just like what was said ^^^^ right before me. Breathe, Relax, Aim, Shoot, but also repetition. I wish I could give you something that'll make your reflexive jerking action disappear overnight, but it'll take some time of consistent repetition from dry practice both at home AND at the range. It also helps at the range to load your magazine with a few random snap caps so you don't know which will go bang and which ones won't (ideally you'd have someone else load them so you wouldn't know when to expect it). Also be sure to FOLLOW THROUGH your trigger pull, even after the round goes off. With consistent practice it'll go away over time. :)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    You don't say if you're shooting double action or single action, but provided it's single action...Picture the squeeze bulb of an eyedropper between your finger and the trigger. Slowly press that "bulb" as super slow as you can...anticipating just enough pressure to squeeze one scant drop out of the dropper. This is a good "trigger pull". Slow down. Slow down. And then...slow down. The break should be a surprise. Every time.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Like JetGirl says, squeeze slowly and breath comfortably. Knowing what's going wrong is halfway there to solving it. For me it's the BOOM, not the recoil. Don't like loud noises. I always wear noise cancelling headphones when I go to war.....

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    You didn't say what type/caliber of gun you are shooting. As mentioned above, dry fire practice helps. Also, air pistol and/or 22 pistol can help. A lot of people start right in with something a little too much for them and never really learn the basics. I think everyone should start with a 22, learn the basics, and progress from there. Air pistol or even airsoft will do the same and also let you practice and learn from home.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Marlin7 I feel your pain! Lots of dry fire and time at the range should help (just being at the range helps acclimate to the report). Also, get the best training you can find. I also tend to pull shots to the low-left (about 7 or 8 o'clock) if I get away from dry firing, which is flinch/anticipation related. Hang in there it will get better.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All above are great suggestions, I would only add to focus on the sight picture completely and then just let the rest of it happen.:)

Marlin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    North Liberty
    I have been shooting mostly .22LR out of a Marlin 795 and recently bought a SAR K2P 9mm which SA/DA. The funny thing was I shot a .357 in single action and shot a real nice tight group with that. I'm not sure if the instructor loaded it with .38spcl or .357 though. So I think it is just a repetition thing. Thanks for the suggetions.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I agree on the idea of having a friend load your magazine and mixing snap caps in.

Or, you could be crazy like me and find some super crappy hang fire ammo. Got rid of my flinch real quick! (I really don't suggest you do this.)

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2013
    Fortville
    Slow trigger squeeze is not the answer. Smooth trigger squeeze is what you are looking for. Regardless of single or double action, whatever amount of pressure you put on the trigger to get it moving, maintain that smooth, "slow" pull all the way through. You focus on aligning the sights while smoothly manipulating the trigger, and as previously mentioned, every shot should be a surprise. Never TAKE a shot, let the shot happen. A perfect shot is not hitting center bull, a perfect shot is maintaining sight alignment and smooth trigger pull. When the shot does break, you can call where it hit without looking. Accuracy will come as you master the basic fundamentals.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Do a search for "Ball and Dummy Drill" and get a buddy to help you. Do it over and over, and pull the trigger slower.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Dry fire like crazy. Start by slowly squeezing, trying to feel the entire movement of the trigger, and release slowly, trying to feel the reset. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Some of the things already mentioned are basic fundamentals. Take what has been said and apply it to your shooting technique. See what works, and what doesn't. Know your firearm. I am in the minority, I don't like a surprise break. I know when the shot will break. It takes time, but that is what is so fun about shooting. Good luck.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Dry fire like crazy. Start by slowly squeezing, trying to feel the entire movement of the trigger, and release slowly, trying to feel the reset. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

This seems to keep coming up, and I cannot argue with this as a cheep, easy way to not only work on a flinch, but also help polish your shooting positions. While I cannot comment on the other branches, the Marines spend an entire week prior to going to the rifle range "snapping in". Basically its dry fire exercise while contorted into the various shooting positions that are used across the course of fire.

Mixing in snap caps while shooting will be a great way to see if you are still flinching, but if you have already identified the problem, I dont know that it would be so much a solution for you, as a check to see if the other methods have improved your reaction.

Something else that may help, if you are using only plugs or muffs, double up, use both, or see if you can find a set of muffs that are quieter than the ones you are currently using. For some people a flinch isnt so much a reaction to recoil as it is the muzzle blast/noise of the gun going off.

Marlin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    North Liberty
    Usually use ear plugs because I can't stand the way ear muffs feel. Thanks for all the input.

Another I heard was to place a penny or a dime on the front and not let it fall.

Top Bottom