• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey INGO,

Im saving as I type this for a new rifle.

For the longest time I have been wanting a savage in 6.5 creedmoor...already got the dies and ammo, BUT.

I dont currently have a 308 bolt rifle....lots have suggested I get the 308 first.(only precision bolt gun I have is 223).

Last but not least...Ive had a long time itch for a garand....I love the 30-06 and the history/nostalgia....looking for a rack grade or service grade?

Theyre all on the list and I will eventually have at least one of each...but which one to get next?

God bless
    -Shred

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The Garand. Buy something that is not being built any longer before something that will be just as available next year.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    The Garand. Buy something that is not being built any longer before something that will be just as available next year.

^ I personally endorse this message^

I have 2 myself, one for shooting, one for keeping new and unfired!

As a bit of trivia: The garand made a distinctive "ping" as the last round was fired and the clip was ejected. Enemy soldiers soon caught on to this, and killed many American soldiers because of it. It did not take long before soldiers began carrying a couple empty clips, they'd throw them against a hard surface and wait for the enemy to pop out of cover thinking the soldier was reloading.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    There is nothing a bolt gun chambered in 308 Win can do that, that one in 223 Rem can't do better, assuming the latter isn't botched with a throwback twist rate.

Garands are plenty fun and I stock a couple myself but were I in the position of having to budget for rifles they'd not make my list. What is it you intend to do with this new rifle?

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    There is nothing a bolt gun chambered in 308 Win can do that, that one in 223 Rem can't do better, assuming the latter isn't botched with a throwback twist rate.

Garands are plenty fun and I stock a couple myself but were I in the position of having to budget for rifles they'd not make my list. What is it you intend to do with this new rifle?
    Don't you have that backwards? I'd rather have the .308 for large or dangerous game, and something that would be cover from the .223 could be reduced to concealment from the .308.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would go with the Garand first as well. Then I would get the .308 rifle. I am not big on odd ball calibers that may or may not be around 20 years from now.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Yuup!

As for the M1 "ping" story.....It's been tested, hashed, and rehashed. Pure BS.

Uh...Im pretty sure they go "ping"...Ive heard it/seen it.

If I bought the Garand....Id of course reload for it so I could shoot it more(100 yards)...but otherwise it would be a range/nostalgia gun....Id hold it while I watch WWII movie and grand torino...etc.

The bolt gun would(someday when I find a range I can shoot at distance) be a "long"(400 yards) range precision rifle...and also someday serve double duty as a hunting rifle...If I ever have time and money to take that trip elk hunting.

My .223 bolt gun is 1/9 twist....but REALLY prefers 50 grain bullets.

God bless
    -Shred

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Don't you have that backwards? I'd rather have the .308 for large or dangerous game, and something that would be cover from the .223 could be reduced to concealment from the .308.

No. Though 'large' and 'dangerous' are subjective, I kill what is likely more than my fair share of both.

Cite the creatures you've shot with a 223 Rem that walked away, that would not had the headstamp read 308 Win. Bullet, launch velocity, range, impact location, environmental particulars, etc etc.

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Possibly, I've never been in a fire fight with an M1 Garrand, only shot mine on the range and in the woods. I know the clip makes a metallic ping after being ejected though.
    Try shooting your garand 7 shots without ear plugs.
    Then stand up, walk 50 yards away and have someone else shoot the last round.
    That ping will be much quieter than you hear it now with your head against the rifle.

edit:
    +1 on the Garand. If you want to own one, buy it sooner rather than later.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    That ping will be much quieter than you hear it now with your head against the rifle.

edit:

Makes sense.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    Can't find the video but Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn did a test on the Ping at different distances. They debunked the myth.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

edit:

I'd never thought of it that way...makes sense.

Go with the Garand: you can always buy the others later

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    .308 rifles are plain fun (and painful, if it's light enough--pack Tylenol). Garands, anymore, are reloaders' rifles, so just keep that in mind

Top Bottom