• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    Looking for a good carry 1911. Function/reliability and quality build are most important to me. Then concealibility, field stripping, parts availability...

I'm down to to choices I like at this point, the Sig Nightmare Carry and a member here has a Kimber Combat Carry 1 of 1000 for sale. The price difference between the two will be about $2-300.00 more for the Kimber.

Ive not shot either. Can anyone make a recommendation based on actually owning/shooting either gun. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

tetsujin79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NWI
    SIG

SIG RCS - no problems

Kimber HD - FTF, FTE, failure to lock back on empty magazine (fixed with Wilson magazine), FTF/FTE fixed with recoil spring

Both were NIB

:twocents:

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    As I understand it, the Indiana Gun Cub has both in stock so I'm going to at least have the chance to handle each to help with the decision. It should be noted that this particular Kimber is a limited run of 1000.
    I read it was before they really got into high production and online opinions rate the gun very highly.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As I understand it, the Indiana Gun Cub has both in stock so I'm going to at least have the chance to handle each to help with the decision. It should be noted that this particular Kimber is a limited run of 1000.
    I read it was before they really got into high production and online opinions rate the gun very highly.

Do you want to pay extra for the collectability of a gun, then destroy that collector's value by carrying it?

Its why I shy away from collector's guns. I'm going to carry them, scuff them, shoot them, put turn rings on them (where applicable) etc.

I'd go with the Sig as well. Sig makes a great gun, the Nitron finish holds up well, and I dig the fastback on the Nightmare Carry.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Kimber Compact Stainless II and a Sig Scorpion full size. Both are great guns. Neither worked well with the factory mags though. Both are flawless with Wilson Combat mags. The Kimber has been a fantastic carry gun, but after buying the Sig, if I had to buy a compact 1911 again, I'd probably opt for the Sig over the Kimber. The fit of the grip safety is better on the Kimber, but the slide is fit better on the Sig. My perspective may be skewed though since the Sig is all stainless and the Kimber is stainless over aluminum. The aluminum frame does not hold a finish as well as the stainless frame.

Largely due to the stainless frame, the Sig feels more substantial, but also comes at a cost in weight. Either are great guns though. I do find myself looking at Sig Compacts though as a future purchase.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Looking for a good carry 1911. Function/reliability and quality build are most important to me. Then concealibility, field stripping, parts availability...

I'm down to to choices I like at this point, the Sig Nightmare Carry and a member here has a Kimber Combat Carry 1 of 1000 for sale. The price difference between the two will be about $2-300.00 more for the Kimber.

Ive not shot either. Can anyone make a recommendation based on actually owning/shooting either gun. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

The Kimber was made in 1999, if it has never been carried/fired it has collector value. If it has been fired it is just another Kimber.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Kimber all the way :D

I have had 3 Kimbers and zero issues with any of them (guess mine just weren't the problematic ones :dunno: ;))

OP, you would be fine with either gun, both are made by good solid companies. I would make my pick based on what each gun's features were and how it best fit me.

(by the way as you can see on my avatar, the Duke preferred Kimber's TLE Custom II :D )

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I prefer a springfield 1911.. but since that wasnt an option ill have to go with Sig sauer. Sig Sauer makes a very beautiful handgun and though I dont own one...yet, my dad owns two, they are accurate and have never had any issues out of either.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My vote would also go to the Sig 1911. I have owned both a Sig XO 1911 and a Kimber Compact II. Between the both of them the Sig was far more reliable and more accurate. The Sig shot to point of aim out to 25 yards. The Kimber only to about 10 yards then I would have to hold high and right. The Kimber was VERY ammo/mag picky. The Sig chewed up and spat out everything like it was nothing.

Although the Nighmare model is a beautifull pistol, My choice would be this one...

1911 Traditional Compact Stainless

Infact this will probably be my next pistol purchase.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If this is a carry I would not like a competition gun. To light a trigger and to much money for something that is going to get worn. But to each his own.

squish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    South Bend area
    Sigs are nice if you like rowing a boat. That's what pulling the trigger on one is like. LONG....exact same even pull all the way though....outside of that their a damn good pistol. Yes I'm a 1911 snob/fan.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've seen too many issues with Kimber's to recommend them, although the finish is nice. You won't find a better value out there than with a Sig, and that ISN'T my opinion, that's a fact Jack. You won't regret the Sig at all. Incredibly accurate as well.

Don't forget that 1911's are finicky guns, and may very well need adjustment as time goes on. Sig offers a lifetime warranty and great CS. Kimber gives you a year and rather subpar CS.

Top Bottom