• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, the Mrs and I are going to Chicago at the end of the month for a quick birthday getaway for her. (Don't try and talk me out of it...it's happening.) The problem is their new "fully vaccinated" mandate that went in to affect on Jan 3, 2022. I have had zero Covid shots, and plan to keep it that way. We won't even be able to get dinner the way I'm reading things.

I recently tested positive for the Rona and wonder if I could show that and say I had to wait to get vaxxed? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edit: add link
    You're probably out of luck there. You'll just have to consider what you can do to make it a fun getaway within their dumb ass rules. Excluding indoor shops, restaurants, entertainment, I'm not sure what else that leaves. Sightseeing?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well there is snow on the ground here and it will be cold for the next two weeks. Jan and February not really the best time to head to the mid south.
    I lived in northern missippi for several years. It can get damn cold about this time of year. But there are plenty of mild spells too.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Well there is snow on the ground here and it will be cold for the next two weeks. Jan and February not really the best time to head to the mid south.
    Ever been to Chicago? Nashville is nothing like that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd be having a pretty frank conversation with the wifey to explain your reservations about spending time and money in a city that has made it clear they don't want you there.

Is there some other reason why "it's happening" other than she wants to go?
    This. I just had to do the same. It was like pushing a rope uphill. She wasnt happy. But after some discussions, she finally saw the light of day.

We normally vacation on a small island in canada. Haven't gone for 2 years due to covid. There is a SLIGHT chance we can go this August, but I'm not holding my breath. And it would be our luck we would be pulled out for a rando rapid test that comes back positive (false or not) ruining our vacation because we are denied entry. Or they change the rules before our trip and we are locked out again.

And we lost our dream cottage because the families decided due to covid concerns to stop renting it out, but found one $700 higher down the street on the beach instead of across the street from it. So $2200 on the line for that gamble. I finally had to tell her she was an idiot for taking that risk (that we cant afford since it would be no vaca nor $$$) and that she is foolish for even trying this year. I made it VERY clear I wasnt about to waste my hard earned money on a fools errand. But I did say it was a good idea for 2023 and beyond when things calm down. So its not a total "no". I love it there too.

She finally agreed once she got past her addiction to that island and was able to accept how foolish it was to try. (she's gone there since she was a kid, so it has DEEEEEEEEP family memories for her. ) But it took a very firm stance on my part.

So now we are looking at a couple days at the floating cabins or a houseboat on Patoka, a week in Gatlinburg, etc.

And if it doesnt work out for you and she still insists, dont forget to point out how it was her idea when you are stuck in your room unable to enjoy the sights and the food. "This is GREAT, honey! reminds me of back home in late 2020 in the height of the panic when Lockdown McGee said we couldnt eat out and were stuck eating carry out in our house. Just like old times. Thanks a LOT babe! I really missed those days! Thanks for reminding me how awesome it was. But we still have each other, right?"

Dont worry, Im sure Kirk and Houghmade can offer referrals for a good divorce lawyer. (which may be good if she cant listen to reason on this topic)

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    She finally agreed once she got past her addiction to that island and was able to accept how foolish it was to try. (she's gone there since she was a kid, so it has DEEEEEEEEP family memories for her. ) But it took a very firm stance on my part.
    I grew up going to Long Beach Island, New Jersey as my grandparents had a beach house there starting when I was just three years old. They lived there year round so we would take multiple trips each summer. It was only about three hours from where I grew up in PA.

My Papa died in 2001 but my grandma lived there until I think 2009 when she sold it and moved off the island into a retirement community. My parents would still rent a house there after that and I would come with my family along with my sister and hers. We liked getting all the kids together for a beach trip.

That side of my family still lives about three hours away, so no big deal for them to go. But it's closer to a 14 hour drive for me out here in Indiana. I finally put my foot down after this past summer and said it was the last time I would ever spend money in NJ, as I can't carry there and don't agree with their politics in general. I only went this past year because my grandma turned 90 and we had a party for her at beach house rental.

But there are plenty of beautiful beaches in free states that I can drive to in under 14 hours. I told my parents and sister it's time that they all made a long drive for once, because other than taking a day trip to see family for some extraordinary circumstance, I will no longer be contributing to the economic coffers of NJ.

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I can relate to the OP. Six months ago the wife talked me into a trip to Vieques Island, Puerto Rico with her brother & his wife in February. She and her brother love the beach and very hot weather. I don't. When I recommended Key West or Fort Myers instead, that idea was shot down because it was not warm enough. Then she started planning the trip and discovered that to do anything in P.R, you had to show your vax card. At the time, she was not vaxxed, but went ahead and got them. Lucky me, who looks like a pasty white wookie, gets to hang out on the beach for a week.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It's amazing how off topic threads can get. He specifically said not to try to talk him out of it. We also have probably no less that 1,000 threads about COVID, yet people are trying to discuss the politics here. Eeeesh

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    It's amazing how off topic threads can get. He specifically said not to try to talk him out of it. We also have probably no less that 1,000 threads about COVID, yet people are trying to discuss the politics here. Eeeesh
    Off topic? The OP is going somewhere that requires vax cards to get dinner and is unvaxxed. To each their own, but that doesn't sound like a fun vacation / trip to me.

Between their politics, gun laws, massive crime and now this, I have to wonder why anyone would choose Chicago as their destination....

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I work in Chicago, I suggest you contact the hotel and every single place you are thinking about going as to what their policies are. There may be places that are not under the vax card mandate that will still require one. Don't expect that you can talk your way into places without the card. Expect people to move away from you and give you dirty looks when outside if you are unmasked. Expect to wear a mask every place you go indoors. Be very careful after dark. Do not take public transportation.
    I din't understand why anyone would enter the city and spend money there that does not have to. Good Luck and ....well....I hope the wife gets it out of her system.

Top Bottom