• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunGunDin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Alright folks I need some help. I have some extra coin and I dont know what to do. I've been jones'ing for a 74 platform.
    Should I get a Polish tantel or a ww74?

Or

Ak47 m70 ab2

Or just save it

You know once you get started w/ z new caliber it's all about extra mags and ammo what do you folks think the best way to go?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Do you already have a 7.62x39?

If I already had something in 7.62x39 I would stay with it. 5.45x39 isn't as cheap as it used to be, and even surplus is almost the same price as what 1K rounds of 7.62x39 is (or should be).

If you dont have either, and want a 74, then I would go WW74 for sure. Tantals are kind of a bastard of the AK world. To many of their parts are specific to the model, plus odds are it would be a century build, which I dont like either, plus like most century items, no chrome lined barrel.

The only "issue" with 74s right now is mags are expensive, and probably will continue to be unless someone finds a warehouse full of them for cheap.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I hear what u r saying clay about sticking to7.62, but, the 74's are so damn sexy

AK74s are my rifle of choice right now, but I also got into the 74 market when prices were a lot cheaper than they are today.

If you want a 74, go for it! they are great rifles, but I would go for a waffen werks rifle OR go for a Saiga and do a conversion (if you can find one). Nothing against waffen werks, but I prefer (given the option) chrome hammer forged barrels.

as for tantals and barrel issues, that was an early production issue from the barrel manufacturer, not specifically a century issue.

Century's issues are just overall crappy build quality, but the parts they use are typically good, ie polish parts kits, NDS receivers, etc. The monkey with the hammer is the issue here ;)

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I would do ww74 as well, the tantels are known for being horribly inaccurate because of their garbage barrels.

From my understanding some of the US made Tantals were made with the wrong barrels.(reason for inaccuracy & keyholing)
    But if you can find one with an original barrel they are very accurate as mine is. It was made from an original barrel Wz88 kit on an AKBuilder flat receiver.
    It cost me extra for this unfired(paper in the barrel) kit but was well worth it.

dceyoi.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really like my Tantal, but I built it on a matching numbers kit with the original barrel:

Used a receiver flat so I still need to paint it, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I've had Century's bastard mess of a Tantal and it was awful. It literally shot the bullet sideways, key-holing worse than any rifle I've ever had. The Waffen Werks rifles are nice, but as Clay said, I prefer CHF chrome lined barrels. I would recommend either biting the bullet and buying an Arsenal SGL31. If you can't afford that route, buy a Saiga and do a bolt on conversion. Or better yet, find a buddy with the tools and rivet the trigger gaurd on and put the correct hand guard retainer on.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The Waffen Werks is great advice. I picked one up last year and it's been flawless. No mag wobble at all and very accurate. The mags are a bit expensive right now but I found a great deal on GB and snagged a few Circle mags for a descent price. Patience was the key as I looked for about a month. The pic here is before I got the Circle mags though.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Can't go Wrong with the yugo m70ab2 as long as its built on the heavy reenforced receiver.

I love the waffen works ak74 but as mentioned you can't go Erin with an arsenal if you can afford it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, not even the factory yugo barrels are chrome lined (except for 5.56, never understood that). BUT 7.62x39 is much easier to find in non-corrosive than 5.45 so I give it a pass. Plus yugo stuff is good quality, just watch out (again) for century builds ;)

MadTownGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    If you go with a CIA Tantal. Be sure you get one with the serial number starting with a "Y" if its not a "Y" there is about a 90% chance it will keyhole. They used to put. 223 barrels on em and had all kinds of complaints and returns. They got their QC under control with that issue, and started serializing them starting with Y after the change. Good luck

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom