• ...and so much more!
  • misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Guys,

I need to replace a trackpad in a Macbook Pro, although it requires a very special screwdriver - it's called a "triwing" screwdriver and these screws are pretty small.

If anyone happens to have a set of these, I'd be more than willing to rent or buy them! Any suggestions on where I can find a set would reap some rep points. I'd prefer to get them locally as I need to get this fixed ASAP!

triwing.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Call graingers on I-69. They will have access to one. Maybe not in INDY at the time but maybe in chicago. Rather rare screw. Made to keep out people not to access compartments.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    • Includes chrome vanadium slotted, Phillips, Torx, and hex bits
    • Nonslip rubber grip handle
    • 5/32" hex shank
    • Stainless steel tweezers
    Slotted bits (6): 1/16'', 5/64'', 3/32'', 1/8'', 9/64'', 5/32''. Phillips bits (4): PH00, PH0, PH1, and PH2. Torx bits (8): T4, T5, T6, T7, T8, T10, T15, and T20. Hex bits (7): 0.035", 0.05", 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 1/8", and 5/32" Tri-wing bit (1) 1/8'' Triangle bit (1) 1/8'' Five-point star bit (1) 5/64'' Spanner bit (1) 7/64'' Round bit (1) 0.035'' Tweezer dimensions: 4-1/2" L x 3/8" W x 1/8" H Handle dimensions: 3-3/8" L x 7/8" diameter Shipping Weight: 0.50 lbs.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    saw this on another forum:
    You need the Triwing screwdriver to open this Wii 'officially'.

BUT! The "Husky 8-In-1 Precision Screwdriver Model 74502 at Home Depot will pop that thing right open too! The T-4 fit right in the center perfectly to remove the Triwing screws without incident. It worked on my Wii and my GC controller.

homedepot.com do a search for 74502. Don't use a generic brand either because this one has strong metal.

Once you have removed them, simply replace the Triwing screws with Phillips heads in case you ever need to open it again.

It's only $5.97! Oh, and doesn't Home Depot have a lax return policy?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    This is a bit of guesswork, but my campus has a Mac support window that has that sort of thing.

Live near a campus? Or maybe a computer store would be willing to rent the necessary ones out change and collateral.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sorry I have a tough time with buying harbor freight tools made in China. Even if they are cheaper. err cheapest. I would spend the 8 dollars or more to purchase it is USA made.

I have a Chinese AK and one chinese scope left in my collection of hunting/shooting items and am trying to reduce it to one.

I do like to put chinese toothpaste in my mount and I don't feed my dog chinese dog food. I don't like to shop at wal-Mart or china-mart (although we all buy american ammo there) but my wife does.

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Guys,

I need to replace a trackpad in a Macbook Pro, although it requires a very special screwdriver - it's called a "triwing" screwdriver and these screws are pretty small.

If anyone happens to have a set of these, I'd be more than willing to rent or buy them! Any suggestions on where I can find a set would reap some rep points. I'd prefer to get them locally as I need to get this fixed ASAP!

Does it have to be replaced or just adjusted. I ask because I spilled liquid on my trackpad and it would only respond if you pressed really hard in certain areas. I thought I would have to replace it too until I came across an article that mentioned adjusting it (by adjusting the single larger tri-wing screw). After doing that, it is good to go. I got the one for the Gameboy/WII (it is still too big for the other six tri wings for actually removing the trackpad though).

savage 1212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    NE Indiana
    McMaster-Carr has tri-wing screwdrivers and normally next day delivery depending on your location. MSC has 1/4" drive tri-wing bits that will fit in your screwdriver. The Wera brand that they carry is made in Germany and is very good quality. MSC Item Detail

Top Bottom