• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What project should I choose for 2011?

• Total voters

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    OK, here's the deal. I am in the midst of a job change that will result in a significant reduction in expendable personal income (mad money). That being the case, I figure I'm only going to be able to do one firearm purchase for 2011.

I want to make it a big one.

Please review the options below, and vote. If you like, post a response explaining why you voted the way you did. Your suggestions will certainly be taken into account as planning progresses, but may not be the sole deciding factor.

Thanks for your feedback!

The options I'm considering, from least to most expensive:

1) Serbu Super Shorty 12ga AOW, Mossberg 500 base
    Pros - Stupid fun, relatively low cost (as NFA stuff goes), and would round out my NFA collection (I already own SBRs, suppressors and an MG)
    Cons - Strictly a "fun gun" - practical applications are seriously limited

2) AKS-74U "Krinkov" 5.45 SBR build
    Pros - CDI factor, would round out my 5.45 rifle family (I already own a full-size AK-74 and an AK-105 SBR), and I'm already well-stocked with compatible mags and ammo
    Cons - Anything the Krink can do, my AK-105 can do as well or better

3) High-End 5.56 carbine (Bushmaster ACR, Robinson XCR, Piston AR, etc)
    Pros - CDI factor, and I'm already well-stocked with compatible mags and ammo
    Cons - Would it do anything better than the ARs I already have? Also proprietary parts in some cases

4) Select-Fire UZI.
    Pros - What part of "select-fire UZI" did you not understand? :D I've wanted one ever since I first got into the NFA world. Procrastinated and missed the boat the first time around when Vector still had pre-86 receivers to build on, and ended up buying the MAC instead. This could be my last chance to pick up my dream gun.
    Cons - It would require selling the MAC to make it happen, plus selling additional firearms or assuming some amount of debt. I don't shoot the MAC all that much due to lack of venues that allow full-auto fire; I don't see why an UZI would be any different.

Alternative) Concentrate on feeding/accessorizing the guns I've got and maybe taking another class or two.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Before I reply there are some questions.
    1.Are you out of debt lol?
    2.Do you have preps?

In all seriousness.Are the basics covered and covered well?
    If the answer to all 3 is yes,then by all means lets move on :)

I am going to go with the very last option.Take what you already have and improve on them.Get spare parts,accessories,and ammo.It sounds like you are fairly well off in the arms department.Why not get that sight or scope you never wanted to spend 1k on and you can never have to much ammo.

Also if you do not reload,you are talking about spending enough to get a very nice set up for multiple rounds.

ps.You can never have to much training.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Save it in case the new job doesn't work out and you find yourself out of work

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Krinkov would be my first choice. I fear that there will a time when kits are not to be found.

Last choice would be high end AR

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    In all seriousness.Are the basics covered and covered well?

Save it in case the new job doesn't work out and you find yourself out of work

Guys:

Just to clarify, this question/poll pertains strictly to my personal gun budget (i.e. discretionary spending). This is not money that would otherwise be spent paying the mortgage, putting food on the table, saving for a rainy day, taking care of my family, or other necessary life stuff; it is money to be spent freely in whatever manner I choose. Please tailor your responses accordingly.

Thanks!

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Guys:

Just to clarify, this question/poll pertains strictly to my personal gun budget (i.e. discretionary spending). This is not money that would otherwise be spent paying the mortgage, putting food on the table, saving for a rainy day, taking care of my family, or other necessary life stuff; it is money to be spent freely in whatever manner I choose. Please tailor your responses accordingly.

Thanks!

In that case I would go with the Super Shorty

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Voted for the last option. You clearly have a phenomenal collection, so spend your hard earned money on enjoying and further mastering the toys you have! That said the little Serbu looks like a LOT of fun!

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Guys:

Thanks!

With the clarification provided above, I decided I would vote.

I chose the short shoty... You say that there really isnt a practical application for this gun, but I thought these were IDEAL home defense guns. Just stick it around the corner and/or down the stairs and blast away. No need to expose yourself while guaranteing a hit.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    If you don't think you could swing the Uzi purchase at any other point in you life (remember, things are going to probably get more expensive not less), I would get the Uzi. Just make sure that the Uzi is something you truly want over the Mac and for honest reasons. I can't speak for you but when I dream and lust over something for a long time and I finally get it, I'm not satisfied... at least, not forever. I then want the next big thing until I get it and then I get it and then I want the next big thing... and so on and so forth.

And who knows, your circumstances may change for the better and then you'll make more money than your current position and you'll be able to buy even more NFA toys without the expense (double entendre) of selling another one.

That being said, is there really anything that has changed your mind about getting one of the piston driven platforms? The concept and appearance of those rifles are pretty cool but not at their current price points that justify the cost. If you continue to work in a gun shop, my guess if you'll stumble into the right deal on one eventually. By this, I mean snagging a used one... even MSRP is outrageous.

Last edited:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    And aside from home defense, I would suggest not getting the Serbu / Safety Harbor. Anytime you need a fix, it seems like someone in your circle of friends has one relatively accessible to you. Unless you are that much in love with them. Keep us posted!

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Considering your original post I'd say go with the Uzi or the Krink.

Reason for the Uzi: It's your dream gun, they are pretty reliable, parts are easy and cheap to come buy and you can't really break it easily. All that said, I don't think they will get any cheaper and hence it's likely to go up in value (and also be investment over just a 'toy'). With some searching you should be able to find a RR Uzi for 6K and less for a bolt gun, which may be another option for you (sell Mac add another 1.5-2.5K and get registered Uzi bolt. Personally I STRONGLY prefer a correct RR over bolt but money speaks) Now one question remains, is there anything the Mac does, the Uzi can't or vice versa? Not sure, well all it takes is a trip up North to find out. If you do go the Uzi route and decide to pick up a converted IMI, make sure the bolt blocking bar is removed.

Krinkov: Still able to come up with part kits, I doubt it will always remain that way, so eventually it may become a closed market too and you kick yourself for not having gotten one when you had the chance.

My :twocents:. Now I haven't voted yet, still deciding, currently waiver the Uzi but the Krinkov is a close 2nd.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I bet your have a safe full, and doubles of almost everything why not feed and train,

You can realisticly only shoot one at a time, make that one count.

my 2 cents,

I'm guilty of almost anything gun related you want to accuse me of so its ok to jab this post

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I STRONGLY prefer a correct RR over bolt but money speaks)

Me too. If I'm going to lay down that kind of money for an UZI, I'm going to do it right and go RR.

is there anything the Mac does, the Uzi can't or vice versa?

The MAC has easily swappable upper receivers (I've got a 10" competition upper and a 5" standard upper for suppressed use), and lots more "stuff" available for it (stock adapters, grips, upgraded internals, slowfire uppers, aftermarket bolt assemblies, etc).

The UZI has a slower (more controllable) rate of fire out of the box, and is overall better to much better quality than the MAC.

Pricing on spare parts and mags is a wash, though there are many more varieties of quality mags out there for the UZI than for the MAC.

I've shot UZIs on several occasions, including yours at NFA Day, so I know pretty much what I'm getting into. I'd say my MAC shoots comparably well in terms of controllability, accuracy and reliability, but it has taken significant money and modifications to get there.

Top Bottom