• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    dude, you carry a HIPOINT now! how can you say a Glock is uglier than that?

glock19.jpg
    vs
    images
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

He's got you on that one, tapout. :):

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The best advice I can give you is this. Fondle and shoot as many guns as you can. Then decide what fits you the best. I can tell you what I like and recommend. However, it's just my opinion. You will get a lot of people saying Glock. Not saying it's not a good gun. However, they are not for everyone and there are a lot of pistols on the market. That are just as good. Again it comes down to preference of the shooter. If you can go to a Gander Mountain. They have a good selection. That way you can fondle different makes and models. My :twocents:

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I say you should buy a samurai sword, some ninja stars, and start training. Being a ninja is way cooler than having a decent gun!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Don't automatically go with any gun just because someone says it's the one for you. Take some time out of your schedule and travel to one of the gun shops on INGO and feel the guns. When you find one that you like, see if there is anyone in your area who will let you test fire theirs. When you find the one that you really like, take the HP to the shop or show and see what you can get on it in trade. Also, you could could participate on INGO a bit more to get to 50 posts and put it up for sale on here. I remember a while back someone was asking about a 9mm HP.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Don't automatically go with any gun just because someone says it's the one for you. Take some time out of your schedule and travel to one of the gun shops on INGO and feel the guns. When you find one that you like, see if there is anyone in your area who will let you test fire theirs. When you find the one that you really like, take the HP to the shop or show and see what you can get on it in trade. Also, you could could participate on INGO a bit more to get to 50 posts and put it up for sale on here. I remember a while back someone was asking about a 9mm HP.

Yeah I remember some guy at MCFG let me try his Glock and I got the fever and ended up buying one. :):

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Don't automatically go with any gun just because someone says it's the one for you. Take some time out of your schedule and travel to one of the gun shops on INGO and feel the guns.

^^ THIS. ^^

Someone on here will have the same models you end up deciding you like and, you know what?? We like to shoot. :D

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    dude, you carry a HIPOINT now! how can you say a Glock is uglier than that?

glock19.jpg
    vs
    images
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I may be alone in saying this, but i dont really see much difference in the two. they both look like somebody had a 2x4 and a jigsaw and done their best to make a gun out of it. :): Im not putting down either but just saying their both ugly as sin.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have fired all on your list many times and own a p95. All are good guns and will get the job done. I too am a Glock guy and suggest you at least look into one. Just handle one and try to shoot one if you can. Not everyone likes them, but if you do I would try to save just a little more and go for a used one. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Are Glocks really that better than the others? I believe you guys if they are, I just think they are kind of ugly LOL

This coming from someone who owns a Hi-Point? I mean, really????

The bad guy don't care what your gun looks like and neither should you. Glocks work and that's what is important. Hell, who cares what your gun looks like as long as it works when you need it to. And Glocks do just that...works when you need it. As others have said, dump the Hi-Point and get a better gun, rather a Glock or some other good brand.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    OK heres my deal.. Right now I have a Hi-Point 9mm. I want to upgrade to something a little better. I have never had a problem with the HP, with about 300 rounds thru it, but just the things i have read and malfunctions i have read about, Im not sure if it is the best cc/self defense weapon. Since i have about 600 rounds of 9mm stocked up, I would like to stay with that caliber. Keep in mind I only have about 300 to 350 to spend

I have not physically held any of these just yet, but here are a few i like, and im hoping you guys can give me a few pros and cons of each...

Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm Blue, 12 round $339.00 SHIPS FREE

Taurus 24/7-9SSP17 9MM PRO HEINIE SS $322.00 SHIPS FREE

Ruger P95 9mm Blue, w Rail 15 round $300.00 SHIPS FREE

Tapout,

I cannot speak to the Ruger P95 as I don't have any experience with it. Taurus on the other hand I have a lot of experience with it, and in short, stay away from it. I have owned 4 Taurus firearms, (2) 24/7's both in 9mm, (1) PT-1911 and (1) 988 Revolver. 3 of the 4 of these were horrible firearms 1 of which (the 988) was returned to Taurus for the cylinder not locking up correctly. The (2) 24/7's also had issues with shooting hot ammo loads whereas the backs of the slide (striker section) would back out when shooting the +p loads. The only one that I would recommend, although now based upon prices you can probably get a S&W or Springfield is the PT-1911. It was extremely reliable and just an overall fantastic firearm.

Now with all of that said I was one of those guys who hated when others would put out a blanket statement about an entire manufactures line of firearms, but in this case, I struggle to ever purchase another one based upon my personal experience. As for my customers, when they are looking to purchase a Taurus, I share my experience and if they still insist I will order it for them I just cannot provide my recommendation for them anymore.

Many will bash a firearm that they have heard or read have issues, I prefer to know 1st hand experience with them, and to that I say stay away...

Knowing all of this, what would I recommend? Well, it sounds as through you have a tight budget, so my recommendations would be as follows:

Ruger SR9 or SR9C - Both of which are fantastic firearms and can be had for right at $400.00 + Tax

Used S&W M&P9 or M&P9C - this is my EDC gun and it's exquisite. Used, you should be able to grab one for the $450.00 mark or less

Used Springfield XD9 or XD9SC - another impressive and fantastic firearm. Used, you should be able to grab one for the $450.00 mark or less

Glock 19 - A classic of reliability and has the advantage of endless aftermarket parts. Used, you should be able to grab one for the $450.00 mark or less

So :twocents: is that you save another $100 - $150 and purchase a firearm that will serve you well and will hold on to it's value over time.

No matter your choice, remember safety first!

Coyote

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    I think someone mentioned Glock.... I never said I thought my hi-point wasnt ugly, it is horrific looking, And i agree reliability is more important that looks, but on the other hand I dont choose a vehicle on reliability alone either, i look for something that is dependable and looks nice.. I dont want to choose a pistol to impress other people, i want it to impress me. You guys know what i mean, something i can take pride in owning. And like i said before, My Hi-point has never had an issue at all, but im not sure if i would bet my familys safety on it not happening. I appreciate all your input and i think im going to go to Gander Mountain this week and hold some and look around, then keep my eyes open here in the classifieds for a good deal.

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Well I went to Gander mountain tonight, and held a Glock 19, a Taurus PT809, and a S&W Sigma, all 9mm...They all felt light as a feather compared to my Hi-Point... And to be honest the best feeling in my hand was the Taurus. The S&W was the lightest, but had no manual safety, I hadnt even looked at a Taurus pt809 online, but it fit my hand perfectly, and has a hammer ( which i liked) and a manual safety. The prices were, Glock was $499 ( i think)...Taurus was 399 and SW was 399 with 50 mail in rebate. Tomorrow Im going to call Bradis and see what their prices are

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Out of your 3 choices the ruger would be my pick. It is a rock solid durable and reliable gun. A bit chunky but a very good gun. They are easy to work on and can find some aftermarket parts too. The trigger takes a little time to get used to but once you get it down it is a great shooter. I like Tuarus guns but have only had experience with PT92/99 models which were great. Just make sure you handle or shoot whatever guns you are thinking about before you make your decision. Good hunting. O and there is nothing wrong with your high point but upgrading would be good if you have the cash.

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    you need to shoot them before you decide. i had a Taurus PT709 and loved everything about it except the trigger. the trigger pull was so long that it ruined the gun for me, even though the price point was great, it looked nice and concealed well.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    If you want to keep the HP for home duty, you can get a Kel-Tec (p11 or pf9) or a Kahr cw9 (which is what I would recommend) for carry. Don't get me wrong, I'm with the Glock guys, but one of these three would be better for carry. The Kahr especially is a great deal for the price. I own a pm40 and have owned a k9, both of which are excellent guns.

CW White

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Tippecanoe County
    I bought a CZ-75 Compact at the 1500 early this spring- used, clean, 2 full capacity mags, all steel- out the door for $365. I like it because it feels the best in my hand, though not as good of trigger as Beretta 92 or 1911. I hit the steel plates well as long as I do my part.

Top Bottom