• xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    yep

not sure if serious
    Very serious, I built mine from a 'mil spec' kit,every pin was tight ,upper/lower dont move,still is that way after many seasons of NRA HP matches & many takedowns,other pins ive seen fall out too easy on other AR's,Colt Hbar upper/lower sloppy ect ect

gemini6x3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    ive built tons of ar15s for myself and friends. ive used almost every brand of lower, and other parts. all of them have been ultra reliable and super bad ass. my suggestion is this, get the most inexpensive one you can first of all, none of them are worth $1000!! get a shorty, 16 inch barrel and telescopic stock and A2 style upper. ive had every configuration and this one always comes back to me!
    i wouldnt add more than a single point sling, forward grip, and a flashlight.
    keep it simple. youll notice everyone is selling all their extra gear because its a waste of money. keep it in 223!! just my opinions, im sure other "experts" will disagree but thats because they wasted money and now feel stupid!

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Best value IMHO is the M&P15 sport, I also like Rock River and have heard good things about Spikes. Really just have to figure out what's important to you, mil-spec or not so much, how much you want to spend, etc.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Ive said it before so ill kick a dead horse again....Build it yourself. Save the trouble of a "brand" and make "you" a rifle. that way you not only know what you went cheap on...you also know how everything works and can appreciate/repair things in a jiff when SHTF. Building your own you can make an exceptionally tight, accurate, any calibre you want rifle, and still have some cash in your pocket for your light/sights/gadgets. Ive yet to run across an AR that wont take both .223/5.56. some shoot one or the other better...but unless your shooting for groups at range every AR i have ever touched will shoot Minute of man accurate. Thats what counts. Sub moa groups on paper are nice...shooting real people shooting back at you...to hell with sub moa...ill ta MOM (Minute of Man). Every one complains about the little 5.56 bullet...yeah i agree...but a hit is a hit on a zombie. They are not hardened soldiers or religious zealots waiting for virgins on death...a hit is a hit. So a hit between the hips and nips will put any one down. Seen 223 work just fine at putting people down...308 or 30-06 is merely placing an exclamation point on it. Also 9mm is a good mid range calibre. With 16 inch barrel there is sufficiently increased velocity and speed kills.
    So..moral of ramble...Build your own. You learn how and importantly the "Why" behind the parts. You get to decide where to spend less and where to spend more...not a company who is looking at there bottom line. I have built cheap ass 600 ARs and have been pleasantly surprised to find they often outpace factory guns in the same class. Plus you get that little "hey i built this all on me lonesome..arent i awesome" feeling. And its an adventure to get the part you want at the price you want.
    I went over board in building mine. But i bought top grade parts and spent around 1450 total..but its free float, 18 inch, milled and matched upper/lower, piston, with scope and off set sights....started off as a 600 dollar gun...it grew like a cancer on my wallet till i called it finished...which is never true of a black rifle...they are merely a grown mans barbie doll....youll always be redressing it, and adding stuff...
    Just my 5 cents..your mileage may vary.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Very serious, I built mine from a 'mil spec' kit,every pin was tight ,upper/lower dont move,still is that way after many seasons of NRA HP matches & many takedowns,other pins ive seen fall out too easy on other AR's,Colt Hbar upper/lower sloppy ect ect

The takedowns on my DPMS pistol = too tight. I got a great deal on it with plans to make it an SBR. Bought a couple PSA lowers and built one with a PSA kit. Fit seems to be much better and has better specs. It didn't cost much more to build than it would have to buy a DPMS Panther Oracle or whatever they're called. When I say better specs, I mean similar to tier 1 ARs. Some have spent more on an upper than I did to build my PSA with an Aimpoint Pro. They can afford and justify it, at this point in time...a PSA with very similar specs will do just fine for me.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

How tight the pins are, and whether the upper and lower move has nothing to do with milspec. Care to post a picture of your gas key? How about your bolt carrier, especially the inside. Have you checked the chamber to be sure it's a true 5.56, instead of just the .223 improved? What is the barrel and bolt made of? Were any of the parts MPI tested or HP tested? Was the bolt carrier shot peened?

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    Really depends on how much you wanna spend. if you dont mind used or a sportical version then DPMS, DelTon, and M&P could be had for $600-$700. You could put togethere a good PSA upper, lower, Bolt carrier group, charging handle and rear sight for probably ~ $850, or step it up and built a Spikes or BCM for around $900-$950 and have a highly rated rifle. If your buying new off the shelf then STAG offerd a good gun at stores like Dicks for around $850 I believe, which is the same price point as a new DPMS, and M&P's, but i think Stag has better features for the price. If you dont mind spending a $1000 you might as well jump to $1050 and buy a Colt and get the same thing the military gets.

i personally have no problems with my DPMS Ap4 but i wanted a military grade gun and finally spent a little more and bought a Colt. $200 in the long run just isnt much money, i wish i had spent a little more in the first place.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I just got a new Del-Ton, 2 weeks ago, $670 + tax, just a basic AR, But as everyone on here told me, I have been adding extras to it. Carry sight, rail, sling, mags.
    Its is a nice USA made rifle.

jjordan2840

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    lafayette
    Ive said it before so ill kick a dead horse again....Build it yourself. Save the trouble of a "brand" and make "you" a rifle. that way you not only know what you went cheap on...you also know how everything works and can appreciate/repair things in a jiff when SHTF. Building your own you can make an exceptionally tight, accurate, any calibre you want rifle, and still have some cash in your pocket for your light/sights/gadgets. Ive yet to run across an AR that wont take both .223/5.56. some shoot one or the other better...but unless your shooting for groups at range every AR i have ever touched will shoot Minute of man accurate. Thats what counts. Sub moa groups on paper are nice...shooting real people shooting back at you...to hell with sub moa...ill ta MOM (Minute of Man). Every one complains about the little 5.56 bullet...yeah i agree...but a hit is a hit on a zombie. They are not hardened soldiers or religious zealots waiting for virgins on death...a hit is a hit. So a hit between the hips and nips will put any one down. Seen 223 work just fine at putting people down...308 or 30-06 is merely placing an exclamation point on it. Also 9mm is a good mid range calibre. With 16 inch barrel there is sufficiently increased velocity and speed kills.
    So..moral of ramble...Build your own. You learn how and importantly the "Why" behind the parts. You get to decide where to spend less and where to spend more...not a company who is looking at there bottom line. I have built cheap ass 600 ARs and have been pleasantly surprised to find they often outpace factory guns in the same class. Plus you get that little "hey i built this all on me lonesome..arent i awesome" feeling. And its an adventure to get the part you want at the price you want.
    I went over board in building mine. But i bought top grade parts and spent around 1450 total..but its free float, 18 inch, milled and matched upper/lower, piston, with scope and off set sights....started off as a 600 dollar gun...it grew like a cancer on my wallet till i called it finished...which is never true of a black rifle...they are merely a grown mans barbie doll....youll always be redressing it, and adding stuff...
    Just my 5 cents..your mileage may vary.

if I wanted to build my own,where would I get the info and where would I start?

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Fulton Armory makes a great AR15. I have a Colt and RRA AR15. A buddy has a Fulton and it is NICE. The trigger is awesome!

Top Bottom