• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walt K.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hey folks.....

I do not have an AR but have been thinking of picking one up in case there should ever be a SHTF day. To be absolutely honest, while I am pretty familiar with the AK and other platforms, I know little about the AR.

So I was wondering if any of you folks might point me in a direction for some schooling.

Among other things, I am wondering about what caliber makes sense. Seems like a .223 might make sense for a SHTF gun since I might be able to get ammo / supplies from dead zombies, but it seems like other calibers would offer better SD solutions.

I've also been wondering what features I should insist upon; and what things I should avoid.

I'm sure ARs are like most anything else.... you can spend as much as you want. What should I expect to spend in order to get something that is reliable, durable, and accurate for a SHTF scenario?

Are there certain brands i should avoid?

Obviously, I am at square one here. Any input is much appreciated.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Palmetto State Armory sells quality AR's as does Spikes. I am partial to Palmetto State Armory myself. I did see Marco on here had a good deal on some Del Tons but I have never owned one so I cannot comment on the quality

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Well, I dont know much as far as AR's but, with caliber I would suggest 7.62. One reason being it makes a BIG hole, and you can get surplus ammo for cheap. Something russian you can always use Wolf/Tula ammo which is a good bulk buy. As far as brand everyone will have one or another they like but I like the Panther Arms, they make a good quality gun and can be had for a pretty good price. Hope this helps.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    look through the ar15 picture thread....when you see something you like ask the poster about it.

Otherwise your guestion is kind of vaugeand you will end up with hundreds of suggestions

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Well since you are kinda saying you want a reliable hard usage gun, I would suggest you do some research into what makes an AR milspec. I would then to search around until I found the best deal on those parts that at least meet the milspec minimum and buy those parts, or look for the makers of ARs that have well earned reputations of putting out rifles that use the spec as the bottom line.

Forget bargain basement, look for quality. You won't regret that choice.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nicething about the AR platform, is that you can get a good AR in .223 and then you can buy uppers in other calibers. You want a .22 rimfire, no problem, you want a 9mm no problem, 7.62 X 39, Carbine, Varmint, just keep writing checks. Since only the lower requires a .4473 form, you can get the uppers mailed to your house. Good Luck

sparkomatic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    I shoot a Bushmaster, DPMS (.308) and 2 Noveske rifles. Hands down the Noveske is the cream of those I own. Expensive but top notch. Most any of the big names today make a quality AR.

My vote is still Noveske if you wanna spend the money.

spark

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've got: Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense, PSA, Rock River. I haven't had any trouble with any of mine.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    At least he is posting on his own experiences instead of what he had heard from someone else. The personal honesty is appreciated.
    I am in no way saying that you would do this either....

Just making an observation that I have made over the years. It isn't a criticism of the person who responded, it is just human nature.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    OP. I was in your same position back in April when I ordered my first AR. I read the link that esrice posted which is a good breakdown of what you should look for in a quality rifle. With that information I spent about 3 months researching nearly everyday various rifle manufacturers. My final choice ended up being a Spikes Tactical. Their base rifle had all of the features that the link above listed out for a reasonable price. My rifle ended up costing $934 after I upgraded the barrel. I am not pushing the Spikes but for the money I would at least recommend taking a look at them. Good luck in your search and definitely do your own homework.

Take a look at these as well.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view_spikes_tactical_st_15_m4_le_carbine.html

ST-15 16 Mid-Length LE Carbine [STR5035-MLS] - $875.95 : Spikes Tactical

Top Bottom