• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MH19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2024
    Lawrenceburg, Indiana
    What’s going on everyone. Looking to get a bolt action for the upcoming deer season soon. Always bow hunt and plan to continue doing so. But wanting to get into a bolt gun for firearms season. Unfortunately only going to be public land hunting so options are obviously limited. Trying to decide what caliber and model. All opinions welcome.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I would highly recommend taking a look at CVA. My wife uses a Cascade XT in 350 Legend. Great trigger, smooth action and extremely accurate. I am very picky when it comes to good rifles, and for the price, this one checks a lot of boxes. Good luck in your search.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    CVA Cascade
    Mossberg Patriot
    Ruger American
    Remington 700
    Savage Axis
    Thompson Center Compass

There are many to choose from...
    Public land you say?
    .300 Blackout
    .350 Legend
    .450 Bushmaster

So many choices.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    If you plan to suppress it, or add a muzzle brake for range or a youth shooter, be sure it has conventional thread diameter and pitch. My son in law bought a Winchester and then discovered it had an 11/16 diameter thread and he has to jack around with adapters.

MH19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2024
    Lawrenceburg, Indiana
    My understanding of allowed calibers on public was that 300 blk was not legal unless in pistol?? Unfortunately since Indiana doesn’t allow use of sbr for hunting I’d rather not get a second 300 blk. I agree that there are way to many rifles to choose from, but seems the consensus is either 350 legend or 450 bushmaster. Just trying to narrow it down.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Any issues with a lot of ruined meat, one of the complaints I’ve heard about the 450.
    I double lung shot a nice buck a few years ago and didn't really notice any. Just the entrance hole in the ribs. I didn't see an exit wound; the bullet liquified both lungs. If you hit higher in the shoulder I can see some loss in the front shoulders.

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    CVA Cascade
    Mossberg Patriot
    Ruger American
    Remington 700
    Savage Axis
    Thompson Center Compass

There are many to choose from...
    Public land you say?
    .300 Blackout
    .350 Legend
    .450 Bushmaster

So many choices.

.300 Blackout isn't legal on public land.

And if I were hunting with a 450 Bushmaster, I'd do it out of an AR15.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looks like it's my mistake for suggesting the 300 blk Ruger American GEN 2? Sorry about that!

The IN DNR, in their infinite wisdom, has made bolt guns a difficult choice for public ground hunting. Even if the deer legal calibers for bolt guns are worthwhile for deer hunting, their application is fairly limited to just that?

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Looks like it's my mistake for suggesting the 300 blk Ruger American GEN 2? Sorry about that!

The IN DNR, in their infinite wisdom, has made bolt guns a difficult choice for public ground hunting. Even if the deer legal calibers for bolt guns are worthwhile for deer hunting, their application is fairly limited to just that?
    Bolt guns are generally built for medium to longer range applications. Indiana caliber regulations for public land are designed to minimize danger to the public with high power cartridges. This why you see bigger bore and shorter cartridge length. AR15's and semi-autos (.44 mag) cater more to these cartridges.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Bolt guns are generally built for medium to longer range applications. Indiana caliber regulations for public land are designed to minimize danger to the public with high power cartridges. This why you see bigger bore and shorter cartridge length. AR15's and semi-autos (.44 mag) cater more to these cartridges.

Thanks for the explanation, my friend. I understand why IDNR has the rules, I just don't agree with them.

Plenty of other states don't regulate with the overbearing rules that Indiana does. Much less allow a practice on private land while gun controlling on the king's land.

We are ALL responsible for the flight of the bullet, from beginning to end. According to Indiana, public ground hunters don't have the mental capacity to be allowed the same responsibility as the land owner?

:)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom