• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I have a Taurus .380 that I carry. I love the size and concealability.:): However, I am looking for something I can shoot more economically. Am looking for some suggestions from you on what you like and why.

I am taking a class right now and have been shooting everything the range has. What a blast!:D (I am new to this pursuit.)

This has been alot of fun. I'm not usually a shopper, but have been enjoying the 'hunt'. (2 guns in 3 months) My family thinks I have gone over the edge.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know the ultimate 'fit and feel' is up to me, just looking for your input.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im not a lady but maybe I can help ...
    A 9mm would be the best option for the cost of ammo.
    Then it depends if you are looking to carry this gun concealed or just to use it at the range and shoot more for less money.In that case the size of the gun doesnt matter much.You may go to for a medium to large frame pistol.
    If its to carry concealed then you may be better with a compact gun like the Kel Tec PF9.
    A PF9 wouldnt be the best solution to shoot at the range for hours but it would be great for a defensive carry gun.
    A Glock 19 could be the best of both world.Compact enough to easily conceal (depending on your body type, the kind of holster you use and such ...) and still a full size pistol to use as a fun gun at the range.
    If the Glock 19 is too big for you as a carry gun you may want to go with the Glock 26.The PF9 is even smaller, lighter and easier to conceal.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I have a Taurus .380 that I carry. I love the size and concealability.:): However, I am looking for something I can shoot more economically. Am looking for some suggestions from you on what you like and why.

I am taking a class right now and have been shooting everything the range has. What a blast!:D (I am new to this pursuit.)

This has been alot of fun. I'm not usually a shopper, but have been enjoying the 'hunt'. (2 guns in 3 months) My family thinks I have gone over the edge.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know the ultimate 'fit and feel' is up to me, just looking for your input.

HaHa, you sound like me, 2 new guns in 3 months since I decided to get back into carrying. :rockwoot:

I have a new Glock 26m, it's a 9 mm sub compact. I love it. The Generation 4 Glocks have adjustable back straps so it can adjust to your hand size. The 9 mm are the most economical ammo except for the 22.

You didn't say if you were looking for a gun just to shoot or one to shoot and carry. Almost everyone here on INGO will tell you a 22 is not sufficient for a self-defense gun. That being said, a 22 placed in the right spot will stop a BG. The Walther P22 would make an excellent plinking gun and I would highly recommend drinking the Glock Koolaid and get a glock 26. :koolaid:

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    We're all in the same club :o) 2 guns in 3 months here +1 for my husband :) and I'm shopping for my next one! As far as economics go, if you just want it for cheap range shooting, go for the 22. They are fun and very cheap to shoot. I never shot teh Walther, but I bought a Ruger Mark III which I love to shoot, but was unable to reassemble it without screwing it all up, so it's back to Ruger for repair :( But anyway-- Like Rayne said, it's not a gun to use for self defense. More of a "fun gun."

So if you want a gun that will be an economical multi-purpose range and self defense gun, a compact or subcompact 9mm oughta fit the bill. I've sort of narrowed it down to the Ruger SR9c, S&W M&P9c and the Kimber solo, but I haven't completely ruled out others! I haven't held one of the Gen 4 Glocks yet, so I don't know if the smaller backstrap would make the grip small enough for me or not. From waht I've heard, the difference may not be enough for me. I think I am favoring a 9mm with a safety anyway.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks for your input. I do have a 22 already, which I love to shoot with my boys. Am thinking of a 9mm I could either shoot at the range or carry.

I am just interested in hearing what other women like to shoot and why. Last weekend, at the range I used a Glock 19. I really enjoyed shooting it, but am not sure about the carry part. I am 5'2" and shortwaisted. That is what I like about the .380 - so easy and comfortable to conceal.

Basically, I need to get out and try out alot:D of different firearms.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner

Well, I'm not a lady either, but if you already have a Taurus .380, then maybe you should try the PT-111 (9x19) or the PT-709(9x19). The 9x19 carries about 150 ft/lbs more muzzle energy than the 9x17(.380), and is about 50% cheaper to shoot. Also, I own a PT-111 that I have put many rounds thru and it still shoots well for me, not to mention you have the Taurus warranty which is fantastic. I carry either my PT-111(9x19) or my Ruger LCP(9x17), and feel safe with either of the two choices.:patriot:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Thanks for your input. I do have a 22 already, which I love to shoot with my boys. Am thinking of a 9mm I could either shoot at the range or carry.

I am just interested in hearing what other women like to shoot and why. Last weekend, at the range I used a Glock 19. I really enjoyed shooting it, but am not sure about the carry part. I am 5'2" and shortwaisted. That is what I like about the .380 - so easy and comfortable to conceal.

Basically, I need to get out and try out alot:D of different firearms.

If you liked the Glock 19 you will like the Glock 26 also. It's the sub compact version of the 19.

I liked the post that Rugertoter said because I hadn't thought about you already shooting a Taurus .380 and that the Taurus PT111 would just be a step up for you. I didn't like the PT111 because of the long trigger pull, but if your Taurus .380 has a similar trigger pull it wouldn't be unnatural to you.

Let us know what you do decide to get later on. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Welcome to INGO. You've got the right idea, try out as many you can before you buy. A good friend of mine just bought an SR9c and loves it. I'm an M&P fan and it is my primary carry weapon. Have fun shopping! :)

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    2 guns in a month here...it much be contagious... I went with the M&P 9mm...full size, so wouldn't work for carry, but I love it. really love it. having the multiple backstrap choices should allow you to find the fit you like. mine doesn't the external safety, but you can get them.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    If you liked the Glock 19 you will like the Glock 26 also. It's the sub compact version of the 19.

I liked the post that Rugertoter said because I hadn't thought about you already shooting a Taurus .380 and that the Taurus PT111 would just be a step up for you. I didn't like the PT111 because of the long trigger pull, but if your Taurus .380 has a similar trigger pull it wouldn't be unnatural to you.

Let us know what you do decide to get later on. :)
    Some guys like to bash the Glocks, but the proof is in the puddin' on those. I have a Glock 19, that I just keep for fun shooting. I shoot that gun the fastest and most accurate of any center fire handgun that I have ever owned. The grip angle fits me perfectly. I really don't carry it much because it is bulky and a little cumbersome to CCW. I consider it my - if the world falls apart and I don't have to worry about concealing it gun!:cool:

kamum76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    I have and really like the Kahr CW9. It is lightweight and slim. I had no problems with it. Check it out.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If it's going to be an EDC and you want economical ammo, I'd have to say something in 9mm. I'll second the G26. So nice the hubby had to get one for himself.

On the other hand, a 1911 is uber thin and with the proper carry placement/rig, I find it's more concealable than my big fat G26. The 4" barrel models make it even easier. Though admittedly, it's not exactly the easiest to shoot when it comes to keep it fed. .45 can be pricey.

Wish I could help more, but I don't have anything smaller than 9mm except for one .22 (a Ruger, I believe...it's hubby's I don't pay attention to what he buys).

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I'll echo all the Glock recommendations. Or, you might try a SIG P250, which is what I have because I like the way it fits my hand better. It's similar in size to the Glock 19, which I'll shoot, but I prefer my Sig. I've never done well with the G26 without a pinky extension, and if you're going to add that, you might as well just get the G19. I think there's a 1/2" difference in the barrel, but for me, my concealability issues are in the grip length, not the barrel length.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Thank you everyone for your input. Can't wait to start shopping.:):
    I''l let you know what I decide.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Kahr CW9 and I love it! The grip is a little rough and left marks on the insides of my hand after shooting it at the range for awhile, but hubby filed it down and now it's perfect! :)

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    OK Ladies, I did it! Yesterday, I purchased a Ruger SR9c. I love it!:D I've put 80 rounds through it so far.

Thanks everyone for the advice and insight. I had a good time shopping. Already looking at the next purchase - that nice little Walther P22. Seems like that would be fun.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    YEAH!!! A new gun! That's great. It's not a Glock, but I'll forgive you this time since your a newbie. :D I'm just kidding, everyone has different taste, that's what makes this life intersting.

We do need pictures though, never can have too many pictures even if we know what it already looks like.

Have you considered taking the free training with HandK in Williamsport this June? Look for the thread in the woman's forum. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Again Congrats! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom