• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy

So here is my Kimber Pro Carry II...Ive had it for a couple years now. I got it because I really wanted to be a 1911 guy but I am not sure I really am. So I sent allenM a message about possibly getting some work done but honestly idk what I want done. I would really like a rail on it but I know that wont happen. Ive considered bobtail, cerakote (sp?), grips, magwell...but Ive also considered selling it. I actually may put it in the classifieds to see if theres any interest. Sorry for the rambling.

If this was your gun what would you do to make it stand out???

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Yep, I agree with IGM. If you don't like it, sell it and get something you like. You may not come out ahead on the price, but if you're happy then it's all good.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, I agree with IGM. If you don't like it, sell it and get something you like. You may not come out ahead on the price, but if you're happy then it's all good.

Yup......this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not trying to cut Allen out but about all you can do is have him address the trigger/ignition group. Maybe fit a barrel Bushing to it. Yes, it will run better and group better. Will look the same.

If you are not a 1911 guy move on.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    Sorry, I can't like any 1911 without a conventional bbl bushing, and I can't like any 1911 with a firing pin safety. Sell it and get a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander. Or, if you must have a rail, get an STI Duty One LT 4.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I apologize in advance, there is no spell check on my TV.

So i can maybe work the trigger over and fit a barrel?

I agree, if your not a 1911 guy not sure I would spend the money.
    However at a glance, Depeing on budget, I could run this trough my mill and make it a little more unique. Say a carry (hi power) cut on the front, exsagerated bevel on the slide bottom, a crisp accent revel cut, maybe remove every other serration on the slide to open them up a bit. Definatly needs a mild dehorn. Bobtail...not sure on this one, although I do love a bobtail gun.
    8New night sights if needed and if I wasnt so lazy I would learn how to use my checkerig fixture so you can loose the skateboard tape. Not that I mind skateboard tape.

A nice 2 tone Cerakote, say graphite black and sniper gray and some gray and black Vz grips. Then look at the guts if need be.
    I woud leave the bull barrel alone, persoally I like it with the pro series, alloy frame. It does help to reduce recoil.
    Is it a ramped barrel? If not you want to stay away from hollow points, uness you install a steel feedramp. But you woud really have to like the gun to bother with that.

After that I woud buy a different gun to carry because this one woud be too nice :)
    Oh yea, I am in the beginning stages of something I hope to do more of and that is full profile 1911 Carry comps. I hope to have my 1st one on the street relitivly soon.

:twocents:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Seriously though.....Brad is a full head taller than me and the bat would be required.....:):

Damn he must be a big dude. I remember when I met you the first time I thought Mouse was a pretty ironic nickname.

But I do agree 1911s are awesome but they may not be for everyone. So time to try a new platform.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I am still a died in the wool 1911 nut job but if you do not like the platform that is a good way to go. I love my 97.

Seriously though.....Brad is a full head taller than me and the bat would be required.....:):

:laugh:

Imagine my poor wife. I bought her a stepladder so she could reach my face to smack me when needed. Incidentally, that thing gets a lot of use.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Nothing against Allen, as he does superb work, from what I've seen.

I agree with the majority responses. Sell it, and get something else that's NOT a 1911.

Personally, while I like and appreciate the 'romanticism' behind the 1911 gun, it is old technology. Good technology, functional technology, but old technology none-the-less. By the same token, while I like 'Old West' SAA Colts and clones, I wouldn't have one as an EDC, for the same reason.

Being a lefty, when I started buying guns the 1911 was just 'wrong' for lefties. Ambidextrous thumb safeties weren't known, forcing a very awkward grip to manipulate the 'righty only' thumb safety.

I've never really liked the idea of manual safeties, though. Under the duress and stress of an actual combat situation, it's just one more fine motor skill requiring both time and effort, adding more stress and complication to an already 'maximum stress' situation. Having been there / done that, this just seems to provide some detriment without any benefit. Obviously, handguns with manual safeties have been used successfully in combat situations. But, as there as many other viable options out there today, why add any additional complication, at all?

Don't care much for the 'cocked & locked' concept which is, really, the only effective way to carry a 1911 S/A. Some think it's 'okay' to carry a gun with the hammer cocked over a live round. Perhaps. I just don't happen to be one of those folks.

For those that are enamored of the '1911 Legend', more power to 'em. I understand it, and it's certainly their choice. I just prefer other options that work better for me.

Top Bottom