• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I'm selling some guns for a relative, and I'm unable to identify this one rifle.

1002299oq.jpg

1002298m.jpg

1002300q.jpg

scaled.php

Here's what I do know.
    Chambered in .30-06 Springfield.
    It's a mauser style action.
    The barrel only has 2 grooves...

Except for the serial number, the markings on the gun have been covered up by a glued/soldered scope base. An R is exposed in a font that looks like it could be a brand name. Has Remington or Ruger made anything like this?

The safety lever flips up for safe, down to the right for fire.
    There's an additional lever, marked "ON" on one side, and "OFF" on the other side. This lever is located on the left side of the bolt, right next to the safety.
    When flipped out, it allows the bolt to be removed from the rifle. In the up position, it keeps the bolt from coming all the way out.

Additionally, the front sight appears to have been removed, as there's only two screws in the barrel.

Any ideas what this is?

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    It looks to me like a older Remington 700. But, I am sure someone much wiser than I will be along shortly to correct me.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    That is definitely an 03 Springfield action. Check the numbers to make sure it is one of the nickel steel receivers and not one of the older weaker steels.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Had to look really hard at the rear ring, can see the rear sight base. Believe it is a sporterized Remington 03-A3, probably a 1944 or 45 due to the 2 groove barrel. Think the rings are Weaver. Would like to know if those were made by Weaver or altered. I have an 03-A3 with extra holes in the receiver.

Last edited:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Was this worked on in greenfield recently?
    Not to my knowledge. I believe it's been sitting in a cabinet for at least the past year, likely longer.

Are you sure this in not a sporterized '03 Springfield (on/off lever is a give away):dunno:
    At this point I'm not sure of anything.

That is definitely an 03 Springfield action. Check the numbers to make sure it is one of the nickel steel receivers and not one of the older weaker steels.
    What number range should I be hoping for?

Had to look really hard at the rear ring, can see the rear sight base. Believe it is a sporterized Remington 03-A3, probably a 1944 or 45 due to the 2 groove barrel. Think the rings are Weaver. Would like to know if those were made by Weaver or altered. I have an 03-A3 with extra holes in the receiver.
    The scope rings are marked Weaver. The front ring is contoured to fit the barrel and looks to be soldered or glued in place, and covering up some markings. The rear ring is dovetailed onto the rifle.

So at this point, the general consensus is that it's a sporterized Remington 03-A3?

So my next question is, what is is worth?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    SN# higher than 1,275,767 to 1,301,000 depending on the manufacturer. It would be best to conduct your own more thorough search to verify better what you are dealing with.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Yep, definitely an '03-a3. The mag cutoff (lever) and two groove barrel are give always. Bottom metal looks stamped instead of machined, so that's '03-a3 as well. Value is tricky on sporterized guns. Way less than in military form and even though they can be good shooters, they are usually less than a comparable Winchester or Remigton factory gun. I'd say if you could get $4-500 you'd be doing ok.

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Any shots of the receiver "R.." marking where it is covered up? The positioning of the letters could tell a lot.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I just did a little more looking, and I overlooked what should've been obvious :facepalm:

The front scope mount is screwed on with two screws, not welded/glued as I had previously thought.

Here's a picture of the markings under it. (I have the serial number partially obscured)

blottedserialnumber.jpg

By the way, did any of remingtons serial numbers contain decimals? The last number is a 5 and appears to have a decimal point in front of it, but it may just be a mark/blemish.

Any further thoughts on what this rifle is or its value?

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    By the way, did any of remingtons serial numbers contain decimals?

It's a blemish.

The last number is a 5 and appears to have a decimal point in front of it, but it may just be a mark/blemish.

Any further thoughts on what this rifle is or its value?

Here are some pictures of what the rifle looked like before sporterized (along with some info on production numbers and other random fun).

Gunbroker's completed auctions show 03A3 sporters selling between $250 and $350. The front sight being intact (and similar things) seem to be what is bringing in the high end of that range.

Top Bottom