• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I own and like both platforms. In general, when talking about your typical 5.56/.223 AR vs the 7.62x39 AK, here are some advantages/disadvantages:

Initial cost - Talking about a basic, non-fancy rifle, you can pick up a Century WASR-10 AK, 2015 manufacture for about $600. I have one, and it is good quality. Some of the old WASR rifles that came into the US years ago were crap, but check the reviews for the new ones online. They are now decent quality rifles. Your basic AR can also be had for around $600, maybe a bit more. I have a S&W M&P15 Sport that I picked up a year ago for a little under $600. Works fine, I use decent quality brass cased ammo and haven't had a problem.

Ammo cost - AK ammo is cheaper. In bulk, 23 or 24 cents a round is a ballpark price. AR ammo is about 38 cents a round. You can get steel case AR ammo for about 28 cents a round, but some ARs will run it and some will not. More on that later.....

Ergonomics - This is subjective, but I like the feel of my AR better than my AK. The AR platform is a lot more modular, you can easily attach rails, foregrips, different stocks, etc to get it tailored just right. You can also do this to an AK, but there are not quite as many options due to the basic design of the rifle.

Reliability - Both platforms are reliable, but for the absolute worst conditions that can be imagined, I think the AK will run longer than an AR will. This is because of the gas system used in each rifle. The basic AR rifle "craps where it eats," in that it works on a gas impingement system to work the bolt. Hot gas and carbon are deposited directly onto the bolt during cycling, creating a dirty chamber and increasing the likelihood for feed failure. Most ARs will run fine IF you use good quality ammo and keep the bolt wet (lubed). An AK uses a piston system, and does not dump gas and carbon back onto the bolt. AK rifles have a reputation for reliablity for a reason. They just work.

Accuracy - AR platform rifles are generally more accurate. The degree of accuracy that you need is up to you. I've heard it said that the AR is a scalpel and the AK is a hatchet. Either is fine at close to medium range combat distances, but if you want to shoot holes in quarters at 100 yards, the AR is your rifle.

Which platform you end up choosing depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you plan to shoot a lot for enjoyment, maybe ring some steel and also have a rifle that would serve as an excellent defensive tool, get a basic AR and stock up on good brass case ammo. You can always add accessories later, like a red dot sight, rails, fancy grips, etc. You can even buy additional uppers in other calibers, making the AR platform the most versatile by far. Learn the rifle inside and out, and keep it clean. It will give you many years of excellent service.

If you just want to have a magazine fed combat style rifle for emergency defense and occasional practice and range fun, and you are on a budget, get an AK and stock up on good non-corrosive, steel case ammo like Golden Tiger or Silver Bear. A good AK has legendary reliability, ammo is cheaper and bigger bullets might make you more warm and fuzzy inside.

Here's a fun video to watch to help you with your research: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuwR4LLvoc4

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I have been thinking about getting one of these the last few years but I have never fired either and would like some advice from shooters that have experience with both. Please let me know the biggest differences and why you prefer what you do.
    ...also are there any ranges in northern Indiana that lets you rent and shoot them?
    Thanks

swanny70

everything about the AR is better than the the AK imho.

the ak lacks a bolt hold and requires charging with the right hand. The mags are bigger, heavier and harder to put into the receiver on the fly. The cheek weld is god awful. The tiny stock is weird. Not a fan of the sights. The AR is more accurate. The AK safety is awful.

What at does the AK have going for it? Reliability? Neh. Cost? Depends. But the good part is that a cheap WASR will do what an expensive Arsenal does. It just won't look as pretty.

Ymmv

Smoker9000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Logansport
    I own and like both platforms. In general, when talking about your typical 5.56/.223 AR vs the 7.62x39 AK, here are some advantages/disadvantages:

Initial cost - Talking about a basic, non-fancy rifle, you can pick up a Century WASR-10 AK, 2015 manufacture for about $600. I have one, and it is good quality. Some of the old WASR rifles that came into the US years ago were crap, but check the reviews for the new ones online. They are now decent quality rifles. Your basic AR can also be had for around $600, maybe a bit more. I have a S&W M&P15 Sport that I picked up a year ago for a little under $600. Works fine, I use decent quality brass cased ammo and haven't had a problem.

Ammo cost - AK ammo is cheaper. In bulk, 23 or 24 cents a round is a ballpark price. AR ammo is about 38 cents a round. You can get steel case AR ammo for about 28 cents a round, but some ARs will run it and some will not. More on that later.....

Ergonomics - This is subjective, but I like the feel of my AR better than my AK. The AR platform is a lot more modular, you can easily attach rails, foregrips, different stocks, etc to get it tailored just right. You can also do this to an AK, but there are not quite as many options due to the basic design of the rifle.

Reliability - Both platforms are reliable, but for the absolute worst conditions that can be imagined, I think the AK will run longer than an AR will. This is because of the gas system used in each rifle. The basic AR rifle "craps where it eats," in that it works on a gas impingement system to work the bolt. Hot gas and carbon are deposited directly onto the bolt during cycling, creating a dirty chamber and increasing the likelihood for feed failure. Most ARs will run fine IF you use good quality ammo and keep the bolt wet (lubed). An AK uses a piston system, and does not dump gas and carbon back onto the bolt. AK rifles have a reputation for reliablity for a reason. They just work.

Accuracy - AR platform rifles are generally more accurate. The degree of accuracy that you need is up to you. I've heard it said that the AR is a scalpel and the AK is a hatchet. Either is fine at close to medium range combat distances, but if you want to shoot holes in quarters at 100 yards, the AR is your rifle.

Which platform you end up choosing depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you plan to shoot a lot for enjoyment, maybe ring some steel and also have a rifle that would serve as an excellent defensive tool, get a basic AR and stock up on good brass case ammo. You can always add accessories later, like a red dot sight, rails, fancy grips, etc. You can even buy additional uppers in other calibers, making the AR platform the most versatile by far. Learn the rifle inside and out, and keep it clean. It will give you many years of excellent service.

If you just want to have a magazine fed combat style rifle for emergency defense and occasional practice and range fun, and you are on a budget, get an AK and stock up on good non-corrosive, steel case ammo like Golden Tiger or Silver Bear. A good AK has legendary reliability, ammo is cheaper and bigger bullets might make you more warm and fuzzy inside.

Here's a fun video to watch to help you with your research: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuwR4LLvoc4

Can't be said any better than that.
    Scalpel vs. Hatchet
    Both good but not the same

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have been thinking about getting one of these the last few years but I have never fired either and would like some advice from shooters that have experience with both. Please let me know the biggest differences and why you prefer what you do.
    ...also are there any ranges in northern Indiana that lets you rent and shoot them?
    Thanks

swanny70
    Midwest Gun and Range in Elkhart rents guns at their range. Not sure of the selection though. I am not sure if Shoot to Thrill out on Lincoln in Goshen rents guns or not but they have an indoor rifle range IIRC.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Let's see...

The basic differences have been pretty well explored, the AK is behind but making progress in accessories and more ergonomically-friendly furniture, and the terminal performance of both in their native calibers and others has been addressed.

Now, for the Dave solution...

Buy one of each. You will never have the wrong one!

swanny70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2015
    Goshen
    Thanks for this valuable tip "loony1", I had no idea that the barrel was interchangeable on the AR so that does make sense. I'm glad I asked because a friend told me that the AK is normally cheaper and so id=s the ammo so I was leaning towards that but this changes my mind.

swanny70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2015
    Goshen
    Thanks Indydave, that is a great idea to buy one of each, it will take me a little time to save up enough for both but I like your way of thinking!
    Thanks again
    swanny70

swanny70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2015
    Goshen
    Thanks Expat, I new there was a range here in Goshen and I have been meaning to check them out, but I did not realize that there is also one in Elkhart and I am only a short drive from that place as well, so I will look into both.
    Thanks again
    swanny70

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Every army in the world equips their men with AKs. Every army that can afford to do so equips them with ARs.

AKs are like the pudgy sister that's fun to hang around with. She still has big boobs and you have fun together but she's kind of a tomboy. You want her on your side in a fight but if your friends are watching, you act like you weren't holding her hand. The AR is her hotter sister. She's not as fun to spend time with and she's finicky as hell but she's a lot easier to lift in the shower and you're always proud to claim she's yours when your friends are watching. You even tell people you're dating her. But, at the end of the day, bottom line is they're both chicks you'd spend the rest of your life with.

In all seriousness, since they're about the same price now I recommend the AR. It's a lot easier to get good with and all your friends and family can shoot it too. The AK is a beast. It's a damn fine weapon but it's not for first time shooters. It is for peasants, partisans and men who won't be ruled.

Man, you should write books! Such an eloquent comparison! Now my wife is asking is she an AR or an AK? :dunno: She's the best of both, baby!!! :rockwoot:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    it's a journey that begins with 1.

My vote is cheap AK. It won't let you down even with the dirtiest and crappiest ammo. 1000rds of 7.62 for 2 Hun isn't bad either. Since its your first rifle you're probably going to go cheap anyways. You'll have more fun with a $500 aK than you will with $600 low end AR that you cobbled together.

Eventually you'll start tuning the AK as you learn more like polishing the trigger, rails, carrier, and bolt. You may even weld a piece of metal onto the safety to make it easier to flick on and off. You may even repaint the whole thing with grill paint because "who gives a ****?!" You'll then want to add rails and such even though your new AK pals call you a douche.

At that point you'll want to buy an AR...a good one. Throw some high end glass on it. That way you can appreciate the accuracy, ergonomics, and the precision tight tolerances afford. Soon you'll miss the ol girl. Stacking little 22 sized holes in paper at 50 yards becomes a yawn fest until you have a failure. yikes.

Now you run back to the AK. You'll decide you need a really nice unmolested wood AK so you go out (to appease your pals) and buy a SAR or MAADi or Polytech or maybe even an underfolder even though they are difficult to shoot and harder to be accurate with (if any of you say "well actually I can hit blah blah..." I don't care and no you can't). You'll then tear down your original $500 grill painted ak with some tapco, UTG, or airsoft-almost magpul like something or other on it and start buying precision parts for it. ALG triggers, ultimak rails, good glass, dbals/peqs until you have the most reliable gun ever with the most precision parts made that shoots a round that's worth a ****.

Then you'll go back to the AR. You'll buy uppers out the wazoo like 458 and 300blk and apply the same accoutrements to them as you did the AK. Youll find your 300blk can do everything the 7.62 ak can do. You'll step back and realize that the only way you can tell the difference between your tactical AK and your 300blk AR is that one had mags that rock in and even then you're still not sure which one that is.

At at that point get a suppressor. Screw it onto your AK and shoot it without hearing protection... Before driving back to the salesman to kick him in the junk, put it on the 300blk. Now you'll understand the benefit of the round. Go to the range and with a friend and spare no expense because guns are about to get super cool. Shoot a couple thousand rounds in the tranquil quiet while having a conversation in library voices with your friend. Now go sell your body on Washington street to pay for that expensive ass ammo as rent's due and you make poor financial decisions. Once your debt is paid and your apeture elasticity has been restored, go back to the AK.

Brilliant :+1:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It's strictly a preference thing, and both platforms have their advantages & disadvantages. I'm personally more of an AK guy, although I own and enjoy both. I prefer to use the charging handle rather than a bolt release, and don't like the location of it on an AR, where as I love it on an AK. The AK selector is also much larger, and I find it easier to operate with gloved hands than that of the AR. I do like the ghost ring sights of an AR, but the bladed rear of the AK is much more similar to that of my sidearm. I've grew up with stuff like Mini's, M1A's, Ak's, FAL's, HK91's, etc..... (dad hated the AR platform, wouldn't own one if you gave it to him), so I have grown accustomed to rocking in a magazine, plus I love how well they lockup. I like that the internal parts of an AK few, and that they are much larger and easier to reassemble than that of an AR. Accuracy is close enough between the two, and the AK is ultra reliable even under adverse conditions or whatever you feed it. I will give the AR a huge advantage in regards to modularity, and it's definitely the perfect rifle if you like to dress one up or change it around frequently. It's also very cool that you can change out the caliber with the simple push of two pins. And even though it rarely (if ever) happens, when an AK goes down, it goes down really really really hard. As in needing the dustcover pulled off, and removing the bcg & mainspring to clear it. Generally speaking, when the AR has a malfunction, it's much easier to clear in my experience. Plus you get a lot more practice since it's a finickier rifle :laugh:
    Regardless what you get though, one camp is going to tell you that you should have bought the other platform, often because that's what they did so it must be better. The truth is both are battle proven by bad asses all across the world, and more than capable of handling whatever we civilians throw at.
    Whatever you do though, make sure to buy lots of ammo, and learn how to use it. And most importantly, have fun while doing it :smileak:

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Personally after having both I like the ak better, the ar 15 was fine but I am extremely impatient so I like how easy the ak is to clean there's no pins no small parts and the pieces are large my ak bolt is chromed and the carrier is as well and I am ocd about cleaning I can get all the carbon off, and don't believe that aks don't jam it happens very rarely mine has had a stovepipe failure once after a really bad day of mud and ice I think the gun was froze. Ran the charging handle and away it went again my rifle is a modified sar 1 I have installed a surplus bolt carrier that was chrome plated and I have a rifle dynamics stock adapter and a vortex strickfire 2 on mine mounted with a side rail I bought from our local vortex dealer vette

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Personally after having both I like the ak better, the ar 15 was fine but I am extremely impatient so I like how easy the ak is to clean there's no pins no small parts and the pieces are large my ak bolt is chromed and the carrier is as well and I am ocd about cleaning I can get all the carbon off, and don't believe that aks don't jam it happens very rarely mine has had a stovepipe failure once after a really bad day of mud and ice I think the gun was froze. Ran the charging handle and away it went again my rifle is a modified sar 1 I have installed a surplus bolt carrier that was chrome plated and I have a rifle dynamics stock adapter and a vortex strickfire 2 on mine mounted with a side rail I bought from our local vortex dealer vette

One thing I don't like about my AR is that it is a pain to clean. The carbon really gets baked onto the bolt. I am thinking about getting a piston system AR. Maybe an Adams Arms.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    AK all the way. For the cost of a single decent AR you can build up half a dozen $100 AK kits on $10 flats and,.................WHAT?!? AK kits are HOW MUCH?!?

Nevermind,......for even money the AK isn't even worth looking at.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    AK all the way. For the cost of a single decent AR you can build up half a dozen $100 AK kits on $10 flats and,.................WHAT?!? AK kits are HOW MUCH?!?

Nevermind,......for even money the AK isn't even worth looking at.

Ah, the golden days of the AK. That ship has sadly sailed, if only one could find a time machine :smileak:

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    The ship is still tied up at the dock at my house,......I still have at least a dozen un-built AK kits; maybe two dozen. It just doesn't make sense to build them. The values have shifted and it makes more sense to dump the AK kits and build ARs for the same money. The golden days of the AK are over, but they've been replaced by the golden days of the AR.

Top Bottom