• Total voters

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Hello all. I am looking to purchase a new carry gun. Ideally I am looking for something .38 special or above in power (personal preference). Also, it has to be pocket carry-able (I have a Glock 26 and it must be smaller than this). I want your opinions. Please vote and let me know any positives or negatives you have had with any of these choices, or feel free to suggest a firearm I have overlooked.

Thanks in advance.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Kahr CM9/PM9

Sits flatter than a revolver, holds more rounds than a revolver, and 9mm is very comparable to .38 special. You could argue that a revolver would be * inherently* more reliable, but my Kahr has never had a hiccup.

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Springfield XDS all the way. It is very small, still has the power of the 45, and shoots very well.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    you people must have HUGE pockets.

im all for throwing a little kel-tec 32 in my pocket for deep concealment, but i dont have 5-6 inches of pocket space in my jeans. even in slacks, the last thing i would want is a firearm to be swinging along with every step.

if you are a smaller framed person without deep pockets (literally), perhaps a LCP would work well for you?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ruger LCR in .357

Lightweight, you can carry .38 or .357, I put the boot grip on mine and used to pocket carry it all the time, Until my fiance decided it "looked better" in her purse.

Recoil is stiff but manageable with .357.

If this is gonna be a BUG or deep cover gun I think the small revolvers are the way to go. But thats just me

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I voted for the Smith, but agree with the LCR recommendation. I own a PPS as well, and I love it, its just not the best pocket gun. I've also owned a PM40 and a Nano, and the same goes for them. I honestly think revolvers just work better for pocket carry due to their shape. I do own a Kel Tec P32 for pocket carry, but I wouldn't want to go much bigger than that in an auto.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Agree with Mr JAG - Kahr PM9/CM9 ... p380 if you want to go smaller.

I carry them everywhere and have no issues. They shoot great, are comfortable enough to be a range gun, and are accurate as all heck... Not much to gripe about.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I'd say LCP or similar tiny single-stack .380

They always get bigger as soon as you take them out of the store, and if you want a true front-pocket gun, I don't think you could go any bigger than an LCP.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    you people must have HUGE pockets.

im all for throwing a little kel-tec 32 in my pocket for deep concealment, but i dont have 5-6 inches of pocket space in my jeans. even in slacks, the last thing i would want is a firearm to be swinging along with every step.

if you are a smaller framed person without deep pockets (literally), perhaps a LCP would work well for you?

I'd say LCP or similar tiny single-stack .380

They always get bigger as soon as you take them out of the store, and if you want a true front-pocket gun, I don't think you could go any bigger than an LCP.

I had a LCP that I just sold. It was a great gun, very concealable and accurate. I just couldn't get over the caliber (I know, I know shot placement). I've decided that I'm willing to trade a little more bulk to step up into the service caliber arena. After all, I used to have a S&W 642 that I pocket carried without to much trouble (I wish I wouldn't have sold that). I've also pocket carried my brother's PPS before just fine. Pocket carrying a larger gun just takes a little more careful pants selection. (pocket carry and skinny jeans can lead to some awkward conversations :D)

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice, keep it coming.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I've been through a few pocket carry guns over the last couple years. Had the LCR for awhile, then the LC9, and now a Kahr CM9. Each progression has been an upgrade in comfort IMO. The CM9 is a huge step though. I couldn't be happier with it. It's much smaller in the pocket than my LC9 and shoots like a dream. Trigger is a bit long, but it has a clean release. I can't emphasize how great of a shooter it is either. It's one of those guns that honestly just feels like an extension of my hand. I've thought that about other guns, but this one even more so.

I don't think The CM9s are preached enough.

Top Bottom