• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am sorry I do not have pictures, but I will try to help narrow it down. We floated the west fork of the whitewater river from Cambridge city to Connersville. Often when approaching the shallow rocky swif****er, and while in it we could see schools of fish swimming against the current. When we saw carp it was obvious that it was carp. these did not appear to be carp. they appeared to big to be creek chubbs, and they didn't have any tell tale markings of bass. they were very streamlined brownish in color in schools of at least 5 or so. around 12 inch's long, and mostly spotted only in the shallow rocky swif****er.

I am thinking some sort of trout, but I thought those were only stocked in the whitewater south of Brookville. of course the west fork merges south as well and its very possible these were DNR stocked trout that were migrating up the west fork of the river.

Thoughts? they seemed to spook easy and wouldn't chase anything we threw at them so no close looks.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I am sorry I do not have pictures, but I will try to help narrow it down. We floated the west fork of the whitewater river from Cambridge city to Connersville. Often when approaching the shallow rocky swif****er, and while in it we could see schools of fish swimming against the current. When we saw carp it was obvious that it was carp. these did not appear to be carp. they appeared to big to be creek chubbs, and they didn't have any tell tale markings of bass. they were very streamlined brownish in color in schools of at least 5 or so. around 12 inch's long, and mostly spotted only in the shallow rocky swif****er.

I am thinking some sort of trout, but I thought those were only stocked in the whitewater south of Brookville. of course the west fork merges south as well and its very possible these were DNR stocked trout that were migrating up the west fork of the river.

Thoughts? they seemed to spook easy and wouldn't chase anything we threw at them so no close looks.

Have no clue, but it took me several minutes to realize the word blocker doesn't like swift-water. :D

Censorship in INGO. Again. :D

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I highly doubt they were trout. Trout like cold water, and the reason they are able to survive below Brookville is because it's dam released from the bottom of the reservoir where the water is colder.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    no.... we saw plenty of those in the same area and these fish were bigger and not hugging the bottom. also couldn't see the "zebra" looking stripes on them like we could the suckers.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    that's about the size and shape.... I sort of remember seeing some brownish red colored fins, so I will go w/ the golden redhorse. Never heard of them before.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Looking at those pictures, I'm thinking they could have been a redhorse. Like Indy said, they were streamline like young smallmouth but didn't have any smallmouth identifiers. The swift water I'd what through me off.

Top Bottom