• ...and so much more!
  • DonkDinkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2024
    Mishawaka
    Greetings folks,

I purchased this upper from a gun show in Fort Wayne about 6 years ago. The gentlemen who sold it to me claimed it to be an original late 60s Colt M16A1 upper. I'd love to know if anyone can confirm the above/help me figure out what I actually have.

I wouldn't rule out a Brownells reproduction or Colt reissue, but have never handled either to be sure. Admittedly, I can do a lot more research; what little I've done does seem to support the possibility of the barrel/FSB being Colt (source : M16 series variation guide edition IV). I've yet to pop the handguards off and look for more markings.

Thanks in advance to whoever has more insight. I've also donned my flame suit in case there's anything obvious I missed.

20220626_162626.jpg

20220518_202221.jpg

20220518_202213.jpg

20220518_202133.jpg

Attachments

• 20220518_202108.jpg
      20220518_202108.jpg
      279.5 KB · Views: 21

edwea

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    No need for a flame suit! It looks correct to my untrained eye, but with no photos of markings :dunno:. How's it shoot?

I would expect to see a forge mark on the right side of the upper. Any marks on the bolt?
    Eta: I see the c on the front sight.

Last edited:

DonkDinkster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2024
    Mishawaka
    I'm on my weekend now.

I've put maybe 50 rounds through it a couple years ago. It shoots like every 20" rifle length gas system - simply amazing imo. Unfortunately, the upper never came with a BCG. I've contemplated doing an A1 build with it, but am doubtful it'll ever happen.

Due to no obvious forge marks, I wondered if it might have come from an export gun? Or maybe GM or H&R. One of my coworkers suggested the same thing due to the lack of marks. I know nothing about M16s so it is quite the fascinating mystery to me.

knutty

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    I believe early Colts had no markings on the upper receiver and they didn't start marking them until the late 60s-early 70s. The fact that it has a Colt barrel would make me assume the upper receiver is also Colt.

Top Bottom