• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    If I wanted to build a good rifle for around $700 but no more than $800, and wanted just a basic M4 look to the gun how would you go about doing it? I have been trying to avoid junk and only look at parts with a good track record but I keep hitting at least $1000 every time. Somebody walk me though this please.

ironmanran

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Lafayette
    delton!!! great quality they are doing quality control test identical to daniel defense and they have quite a bit different options. shop around for a stripped lower i like the spikes tactical ones. get on cheaper than dirt and order a complete lower build kit to fill in the lower. Or you can buy a complete lower. I enjoy putting together my guns though. you will know it inside and out and love the finished product

ironmanran

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Lafayette
    EDIT: The del ton kits give you everything but the stripped lower.

delton!!! great quality they are doing quality control test identical to daniel defense and they have quite a bit different options. shop around for a stripped lower i like the spikes tactical ones. get on cheaper than dirt and order a complete lower build kit to fill in the lower. Or you can buy a complete lower. I enjoy putting together my guns though. you will know it inside and out and love the finished product

ironmanran

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Lafayette
    I bought a Bushmaster and after all the mods and accessories I have over 1600$ in it. Wont do that again. I am getting into tactical shooting and running drills using the Bushmaster is not an option just the thought of scratches, bumps and bangs make me cringe. So a del ton kit is in my very near future, pending my wifes approval. I'll have a quality weapon without the cost. Exactly what you are trying to do

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    delton is also out of stock on most things, I'm looking for something to get now, I will be in flordia for the rest of this month for a funeral, and my birthday is in may so I am thinking this is an excellent opportunity to get some monetary support from relatives, If I can talk a few into pitching in that felt the need to buy me a present then I could shave $200-300 maybe and only have $400 in the gun myself.

Of course last time I was asked what I wanted for my birthday(we don't surprise anymore, just ask what they want and get it for them) and I mentioned a gun, I got a
    you don't need any more guns" comment so I am not holding my breath, but its worth a shot.

For the record I was aware of delton, and if it was not for them being out of stock I would have went with them.

Last edited:

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I bought a Bushmaster and after all the mods and accessories I have over 1600$ in it. Wont do that again. I am getting into tactical shooting and running drills using the Bushmaster is not an option just the thought of scratches, bumps and bangs make me cringe. So a del ton kit is in my very near future, pending my wifes approval. I'll have a quality weapon without the cost. Exactly what you are trying to do

Aww, you're supposed to bang them up a bit. :D

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    OP, the best thing for you to do, is to lose the notion of getting a brand new rifle.

If it's a cheapo anyway, who cares if it smells new? Who cares if it looks pristine? You just want a shooter, right?

Scour classifieds here, at arf, and M4c, and you can put together a rifle well within your budget. Finding a local buddy who is familiar with things, will be a lot of help, too.

In the price of a stripped lower, and rifle kit, remember you're going to have another $50-100 wrapped up in a rear iron sight. Everybody is going to tell you to get a Magpul rear sight, because it's the best deal going, and they probably think Chris Costa looks good in skimpy shorts. It's alright (the sight, not Costa), but I know where you can get a Matech, for $50, shipped.

Be patient, and you can find quality components for much less than brand new retail.

us marine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    At the last Indy 1500 I saw a few delton's for $650- 700, some had a few accessories.
    They look ok, I'd buy one.
    Used is allways a good Idea, to save money.

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    well after pricing a psa kit and one of the lower receivers I have concluded I could build one for around $750, I imagine it would be hard to get a good gun for much less than that and is well within my range. Remember I am in Kentucky and as far as I know stripped lowers are transferred as pistols so I can't get the ones in Indiana.

Last edited:

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    On a similar note could someone tell me about the best guides out there for putting this together, preferable free ones and not books and are there any special tools I need to get?

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    On a similar note could someone tell me about the best guides out there for putting this together, preferable free ones and not books and are there any special tools I need to get?

AR-15 Builder - Build and Customize your own AR15 | Brownells has a good set of instructional videos. I'd say at a minimum you're going to need a set of punches, a barrel wrench unless you buy a complete upper, a vice, and an upper and lower receiver vice block

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

:: Guides

This ^^ takes care of the hardest part if you're getting a rifle kit and a stripped lower. Once I gathered tools and sat down to put my Palmetto State Armory lower together, it took about 20-30 minutes because I wanted to take my time. For tools, I used a 5 oz. tack hammer, a punch set, some duct tape, a 1/2" or so thick piece of wood to support the ears for the trigger guard pin, and a razor blade to help with pivot pin detent install. The duct tape and a punch slightly larger than the bolt catch assembly roll pin. Several layers of tape to tape them together with a sturdy connection helped start the roll pin.

Top Bottom