• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    My daughter and I lost one of our best friends back in Oct 2012 (Our Golden Retriever, Buttercup) and we're ready for a new dog. BTW, we got much appreciated support when we were losing her from INGO

We're in Southeastern Indiana (Clark Co).

We were going to get a border collie, but actually went to a pet rescue recently (no luck). We're not set on any particular breed, but would prefer a medium to larger dog. (You know, Border collie, lab, German Shepard or any decent mix).

Any help out there in INGO land?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    My daughter and I lost one of our best friends back in Oct 2012 (Our Golden Retriever, Buttercup) and we're ready for a new dog. BTW, we got much appreciated support when we were losing her from INGO

We're in Southeastern Indiana (Clark Co).

We were going to get a border collie, but actually went to a pet rescue recently (no luck). We're not set on any particular breed, but would prefer a medium to larger dog. (You know, Border collie, lab, German Shepard or any decent mix).

Any help out there in INGO land?

Southern Indiana Animal Rescue

There is another rescue with quite a bit to offer. I dunno if you've ever had the opportunity to rescue a best friend, but if you do, you certainly won't regret it. :)
    :soapbox:
    I have to get up on my soap box and implore you not to buy from a breeder. Perfectly good dogs are put down by the hundreds of thousands every day.

Last edited:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Dixie Run Labradors is a good breeder in Rockport. Larry is a gun guy too, very nice family and a bunch of great dogs. Our boy Sid is two and we have been kicking the idea getting him a buddy.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013

There is another rescue with quite a bit to offer. I dunno if you've ever had the opportunity to rescue a best friend, but if you do, you certainly won't regret it. :)
    I have to get up on my soap box and implore you not to buy from a breeder. Perfectly good dogs are put down by the hundreds of thousands every day.
    I'm with you. Please stay away from breeders. I know not all breeders are bad, but I've been working rescue for a few years and have seen some pretty awful things done by breeders. The dogs are nothing more than dollar signs to most of these people.
    Southern IN rescue is great, you can also check out. Almost every breed has some kind of rescue attached to it. Home

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    There's a difference between puppy mills and breeders. At least a good breeder will invite you to their home and chances to visit with their dogs and get to know them. I'm looking at adopting an older dog right now, just don't want to go through the puppy stage again but my reluctance is just not knowing the history of the dog.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Since you have been without a dog for a while, why don't you wait until someone has one to give away. It seems like every so often people need to give away their good dogs because of personal reasons, not the bad behavior of the dog. My daughter took in a chocolate Lab that way and the dog is great.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    If you ever make it up to Indy, stop by Indy Animal Care and Control. They are a kill shelter, so you might just save a dog's life. :)

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I would advise you stay away from GSD unless it comes from a breeder. Too much opportunity for genetic short comings. I have a GSD breeder by Plymouth I am waiting on a pup from this spring. PM me if interested.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Another possibility would be to contact specific breed rescue sources. Most all breeds have a contact here in Indiana. They are in a position to put you in direct contact with specific breed breeders.

I would also make the distinction between back yard breeders and responsible breeders. When talking with a breeder, you can find out pretty quick as to which category they fall into. Ask them to see the health clearances of either the ***** or sire. Hips, eyes, knees, elbows and heart. There should be xrays to view. Also, ask them why they bred their *****. If you don't hear "for the betterment of the breed", that would be a yellow flag.

Good luck in your search.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Highly recommend the German Shepherd. I have 2 females and one of them I bought when she was exactly 8 weeks old. Great dogs for kids and horrible dogs for trespassers!

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    dog

about a month ago at Owen County animal rescue we got this guy's brother. He's a great dog. About 50 lbs and the sweetest dog I have ever had. Would be worth taking a look. I wish we had the room for him too.

IN301.24668865-2-x.jpg

We kind of decided he's a basset/coon hound mix

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Basset Hound | Spencer, IN | Batman

Jason

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Contact the Animal Protection Association in Jeff. They have a building but it only houses cats. Their dogs are all fostered, and they do great work. I had a great experience with the Scott County Humane Society as well.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

:yesway:......This ^^^^^^.......JB Ogle Animal Shelter in Jeffersonville is under new management and is a 'No KIll' shelter now.....:yesway:......I'd take 'nuther 1 but I got '8' here.....6 Yorkie's(4 were born here) a Beaglehound (hit and left.....back in '01)..and a Retriever (dump'd here in '05....) they're my 'kids',LOL......make no mistake 'bout it......they come b'fore ANYthing,hahaha......they own the place......I just room and board here,LOL!.....:):

I.....:rolleyes:......got'a stay out'a there,LOL!......'cause I'd surely bring somethin' home......:cool:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Thanks for all the responses. Great info - better than GOOGLE!! Daughter and I have lots to work with now. Can't wait to post a success story.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    There's a difference between puppy mills and breeders. At least a good breeder will invite you to their home and chances to visit with their dogs and get to know them. I'm looking at adopting an older dog right now, just don't want to go through the puppy stage again but my reluctance is just not knowing the history of the dog.

Huge difference.

I'll give a huge +1 to anyone that wants to rescue a dog, but I'll show anyone wanting to judge me for buying from a breeder exactly where they can kiss.

I wasn't the irresponsible person that let their dog have puppies that can't be cared for. Judge them, not me.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Hey Mackey,

Do you like the look of my avatar? She is from a local Southern Indiana farmer. BC is the smartest dog I have ever had. She is my constant companion and best friend. She goes practically every where with me. She is a pet quality vs a working dog. Oh she'll work but she is not so hyper she can't sit still. She is quite content to lay under my desk at work, or be in the fields with me for hours on end.

If you're looking for a working dog, then the same breeder can set you up with one of those. Tell him what you're looking for and he will know what pair of parents will produce the best pup for you. PM me if you'd like his name and number.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom