• ...and so much more!
  • Bagpiper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2016
    US
    Hi All,

I recently efiled a form 1 to SBR my CZ Scorpion. Unfortunately I didn't have my stock at the time and had to go off website spec for the OAL. When I got my stock, I found out the OAL is 2-3" shorter than what I put on the form. Is it possible to amend the form 1? What option(s) do I have from here? I've reached out to the ATF, but haven't heard back from them (it's been a week...not holding my breath). Any help ya'll can provide is appreciated.

Thanks!

J

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I ANAL but my understanding is that you can be shorter but not longer then what's on the form 1. (It's the other way around for a suppressor.) You should be good to go.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I ANAL but my understanding is that you can be shorter but not longer then what's on the form 1. (It's the other way around for a suppressor.) You should be good to go.

This is not correct. There's no restriction on length once you have an approved SBR. The initial configuration is supposed to match what's on the Form 1, but after that you are free to change it. You can run any length barrel you want on it. For a suppressor, you're not allowed to increase the overall length or change the caliber.

OP, you can write a letter to the NFA Branch requesting that they change the OAL in the registry to your new number. They may or may not do it (as they are super busy) and really aren't that worried about it.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I you e-filed, you will have to cancel and start over. They will not amend your application.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    This is not correct. There's no restriction on length once you have an approved SBR. The initial configuration is supposed to match what's on the Form 1, but after that you are free to change it. You can run any length barrel you want on it. For a suppressor, you're not allowed to increase the overall length or change the caliber.

OP, you can write a letter to the NFA Branch requesting that they change the OAL in the registry to your new number. They may or may not do it (as they are super busy) and really aren't that worried about it.

That's what I get for posting from my phone and not fact checking! Thanks for the info.

Bagpiper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2016
    US
    I you e-filed, you will have to cancel and start over. They will not amend your application.

It sounds like my best bet is to send a letter after the stamp is issued. The gun + stock CAN reach 26" (putting me in the clear), so it sounds like I'm fine. Thanks all!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It sounds like my best bet is to send a letter after the stamp is issued. The gun + stock CAN reach 26" (putting me in the clear), so it sounds like I'm fine. Thanks all!

If you have a stamp, it doesn't matter the length of the gun. You'd still have a short barrel on it, so it's still an SBR. An OAL over 26" doesn't get you any credit with the ATF if you still have a shorter than 16" barrel. You're right though, just send a letter after the stamp. You can even send two copies plus a SASE and request that they stamp one and send it back to to you. They'll stamp the date they received it, so you at least know they got and opened your letter.

Top Bottom