• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I'd shoot it with a .22 short if it was close enough....
    Or a good broadhead would do....I've snarred many coyote...it's easier than a foot hold...I wouldn't pay to do this it's not hard I'm sure some of these fellas on here trap closer to you than I...hopefully some of these brothers in arms would be willing to help without...
    You could always take some raw hamburger and put fish hooks in it...that's what my great grandpa used to do...it saved his chickens.

I'm simply amazed by some of the stuff I read on here

Jrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    .22 and shorts. Just one shot make it count get back inside look for blood to see if u hit it later. LOL

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I was on Union Chapel Rd. (Noblesville) the other day and had to stop to avoid hitting the second of two coyotes crossing the road last week, they are out of control and need put down, but dammit if you are going to do it then just put the damn thing down, dont just hurt it or make it suffer!

My dog is my best friend, a coyote looked at my dog the wrong way this week and got a .223 to the back of the head! Wasn't even a question!

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    I have a small 10 acre woods not far from my home.... it is full of them. I have taken a few out on my property without any thought about it. I have seen them in daylight around here they are so bad... so I do not discriminate against them, I am an equal opportunity coyote person... I'll shoot them all. I even have a CO that lives in the house just 1/4 mile South of me and shares the same thoughts about them. I have went to his home and eliminated more than 1 nuisance animal for his family.

I am trying to get permission from the landowner of the 10 acres to do some "armed" scouting. I have mentioned it, but not received any concrete answer.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I had a predator problem once a 22 from inside shot through an open window does not draw much attention with the new cci quiet 22(brain only not much energy in these) would draw even less. Wear your earplugs will be load in the room. However a wounded yote will screech and everyone for 2 miles will know about it.
    LOL, I shoot crows with a .22 like this! Most city ordinances have a clause allowing for the dispatch of threatening nuisance animals. Call the Sheriff and ask, what could it hurt?

@Lonnie, Farmers have been known to use double edged razor blades in hamburger to protect their livestock from wolves and yotes almost forever. Do you know how the Inuits hunted wolves? Razor sharp knife with layer upon layer of blood frozen to it. The wolf would start licking the blood and go into a frenzy, the more he licked, the more he would bleed...

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Welcome to my world. Bastards almost killed my beagle a few weeks ago. 100 stitches, broken rib and $3000 worth of vet bills. Unlike you, I dont live within city limits. Ive been baiting them for a few weeks and plan on getting a few this weekend. Good luck.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Welcome to my world. Bastards almost killed my beagle a few weeks ago. 100 stitches, broken rib and $3000 worth of vet bills. Unlike you, I dont live within city limits. Ive been baiting them for a few weeks and plan on getting a few this weekend. Good luck.

Wow sorry to here that. I am really starting to hate these things. I'm still scouting this one(s) and getting familiar with my new crossbow. That's quiet enough to keep a low profile :)

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    Wow sorry to here that. I am really starting to hate these things. I'm still scouting this one(s) and getting familiar with my new crossbow. That's quiet enough to keep a low profile :)

I will put money down that there is more than one. From my best guess, we have a group of 4-6 of them that frequent my area.

I've noticed that they dont care about my scent. I walk or drive out to the field and throw the dear carcasses where ever I think they will do the most good and they take them every time. They are now used to being baited, but not used to being hunted, so they havent had any reservations about ocming around yet. Im sure once I start picking them off they will become wise to what is going on with the gut piles and I will have to change my method.

Here is the Beagle they got a hold of. He is recovering just fine, but is pissed that we arent letting him run loose anymore.

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01537.jpg

bailey2.jpg

DSC01543.jpg

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    We need to get a posy together and get some revenge! Had one come after my dog this week, there was no quitting, I smoked him, wasnt even a option for him to live another day!

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Perhaps if your city ordinance prohibits firearms discharge, it allows for the use of fireworks. Bait in the coyote and then toss 10 or 15 m80's it's way.

Maybe the noise will get people to be more accepting of a .17hmr shot.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I will put money down that there is more than one. From my best guess, we have a group of 4-6 of them that frequent my area.

I've noticed that they dont care about my scent. I walk or drive out to the field and throw the dear carcasses where ever I think they will do the most good and they take them every time. They are now used to being baited, but not used to being hunted, so they havent had any reservations about ocming around yet. Im sure once I start picking them off they will become wise to what is going on with the gut piles and I will have to change my method.

Here is the Beagle they got a hold of. He is recovering just fine, but is pissed that we arent letting him run loose anymore.

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01537.jpg

bailey2.jpg

DSC01543.jpg

Good looking dog. Hope you smoke all those bastard Yotes.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I'm simply amazed by some of the stuff I read on here

That is for sure. It also appears if you have anything hunting in your name, or post in every single coyote thread with advice and no pictures you have no f'ing idea what you're talking about. Lonnie I would love the chance sometime to pick your brain about coyote hunting one of these days. You're the godfather.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    that beagle looks to be a lucky dog to be a live.

I just about guarantee there is more than 1 running around this location.

Rarely do I catch only 1 at a set location ( maybe 1 in 30) , most of the time it 3 to 6 and I know I still leave 1 or 2 behind

You can be effective in hunting them but I'm telling you if you want to thin the population in a area than Trapping is the way to go.

Traps work 24/7
    hunting just works while you are there (a few hours at best)

When trapping a guy catch make multiple catches in 1 night , this is common in areas with large populations

Just a tad bit of more info to add salt to the wound.
    in the area around where I trap and hunt with other guys we "take" (hunting and trapping)
    around 80 to 130 year in year out. this is a total combined number for the area , maybe a few more killed from deer hunters etc.
    here is the bad news, every year we take that many and every year there is that many to be taken again
    the numbers never seem to get lower.
    Just imagine if we were not killing this many. As an example , look at the suburb areas where there is no hunting or trapping.

On that note, this is a great week to go out with a rifle or shot gun (loaded with #4 buck is my preference)
    With the moon so bright a guy don't even need a light , just set a call out or use a mouth call and put the wind in your favor.
    Since coon hunting hasn't been good and is horrible during the full moon I will be trying to kill a few yotes this week.

csmith , Thanks but it's really just about putting in the work and dedication. Just like anything , you get out of it what you put into it.

Here is an example, I have a good friend the kills big nice trophy bucks year in and year out. he puts the work in, he set stand early in summers , trims shooting lanes , gathers permission , studies the area, sets cameras etc.
    He has been successful for several years taking his trophy because he puts the work in.

believe me I get to where I want to slack off because of the work it takes to keep the traps going day after day after day, when this happens my catches suffer greatly

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    We have an ordinance about discharging a firearm within Town Limits too. However, the ordinance also says that you have the right to protect yourself and/or property. I would shoot it. Might be an excuse to get a suppressor!

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    that beagle looks to be a lucky dog to be a live.

I just about guarantee there is more than 1 running around this location.

Rarely do I catch only 1 at a set location ( maybe 1 in 30) , most of the time it 3 to 6 and I know I still leave 1 or 2 behind

You can be effective in hunting them but I'm telling you if you want to thin the population in a area than Trapping is the way to go.

Traps work 24/7
    hunting just works while you are there (a few hours at best)

When trapping a guy catch make multiple catches in 1 night , this is common in areas with large populations

Just a tad bit of more info to add salt to the wound.
    in the area around where I trap and hunt with other guys we "take" (hunting and trapping)
    around 80 to 130 year in year out. this is a total combined number for the area , maybe a few more killed from deer hunters etc.
    here is the bad news, every year we take that many and every year there is that many to be taken again
    the numbers never seem to get lower.
    Just imagine if we were not killing this many. As an example , look at the suburb areas where there is no hunting or trapping.

On that note, this is a great week to go out with a rifle or shot gun (loaded with #4 buck is my preference)
    With the moon so bright a guy don't even need a light , just set a call out or use a mouth call and put the wind in your favor.
    Since coon hunting hasn't been good and is horrible during the full moon I will be trying to kill a few yotes this week.

csmith , Thanks but it's really just about putting in the work and dedication. Just like anything , you get out of it what you put into it.

Here is an example, I have a good friend the kills big nice trophy bucks year in and year out. he puts the work in, he set stand early in summers , trims shooting lanes , gathers permission , studies the area, sets cameras etc.
    He has been successful for several years taking his trophy because he puts the work in.

believe me I get to where I want to slack off because of the work it takes to keep the traps going day after day after day, when this happens my catches suffer greatly

I have zero experience with this, but would be willing to pay someone to set traps and teach me something along the way. If anyone close to south Lake county has the experience to trap these things, shoot me an IM.

Top Bottom