• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In my humble opinion, the Bersa's are the biggest bang for the buck. I bought a Bersa 9mm High Capacity, matte black, at the Indy 1500 for $309. The mag holds 17 so you can carry 17+1. I also have a Beretta 92FS that is prettier to look at, but the Bersa shoots just as well and it is thinner.

I looked at the Beretta PX4s today up at Cabella's in Hammond and the guy behind the counter showed me something that made me decide I would not own one. He said point it like you are going to shoot it. He grabbed the slide and it came off in his hand. I have never seen a pistol that will do that with the magazine in.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    19 hmm scratchin my head again now..in my OP i explain a bit more in detail, but the gun wil be a shotgun HD backup in the house, and will occasionally be carried. I dont plan to carry 24/7/365.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Agree...kinda like only sometimes wearing your seatbelt.
    Oh, I'm getting ready to drive on the interstate, better buckle up for this section of my trip.:scratch:
    thats a good analogy, good point. frankly, im new to owning my own guns. i grew up around them, but ive only owned long guns for a short time. im trying babysteps here, and with a new home, wife, thinking of HD...all of sudden ill end up with 20 guns with stockpiles of thousands of ammo, etc. I have a tenancy to go off the deep end with my hobbies so im trying to throttle my passion so to speak. will i eventually carry all the time? maybe, do I have the training to feel comfortable right now? no, and I recognize that. Plus, i know that a situation can always arise, but i havent had anything push me over the edge to carry all the time. when i go to indy (love the ethnic foods on the west side, but its sketchy!), road trips, I will probably carry. Ill get a better feel for things over time as I learn more. everyones input is helping make this decision more informed and ill feel better about my decision when i get something in my hands :D

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    Not that big of a Glock guy but I would have to agree G19 is what you need. You get 15 rounds for HD and you get a good carry weapon and trust me when you do start carrying you will appreciate the size.

However, I do love my XDM, 19rds and 4 clips (two clip rebate right now) you can't beat that have a box of ammo in the form of 4 clips.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Personally I'd try a used model

I usually look for used first. A handgun is a fairly simple and durable mechanism that should last a lifetime. Unless it has been outright abused (and these are not difficult to spot), a used firearm you buy is going to shoot just as good as a new one and cost a lot less.

For handguns, it is hard to beat cop trade-ins. They will usually have moderate to heavy holster wear (which is purely cosmetic), but very little mechanical wear (most officers don't shoot much beyond their annual qualification, and they usually have an agency armorer who does routine maintenance). What you get is a major discount on the price you pay for a very functional gun that already has its "character marks." You save money, and you don't have to get gray hair worrying about when you might accidentally put the first scratch on your pristine new gun ;-)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    thats a good analogy, good point. frankly, im new to owning my own guns. i grew up around them, but ive only owned long guns for a short time. im trying babysteps here, and with a new home, wife, thinking of HD...all of sudden ill end up with 20 guns with stockpiles of thousands of ammo, etc. I have a tenancy to go off the deep end with my hobbies so im trying to throttle my passion so to speak. will i eventually carry all the time? maybe, do I have the training to feel comfortable right now? no, and I recognize that. Plus, i know that a situation can always arise, but i havent had anything push me over the edge to carry all the time. when i go to indy (love the ethnic foods on the west side, but its sketchy!), road trips, I will probably carry. Ill get a better feel for things over time as I learn more. everyones input is helping make this decision more informed and ill feel better about my decision when i get something in my hands :D

I too am obsessive.

You will find that after carrying here and there and after the novelty wears off, it becomes more like just putting on another piece of clothing. Your thinking will change over time. Just do what feels right for you and don't worry about it.

You will also find the pistol that is right for you to carry, whether it is a 9, 40, 45, or whatever. I end up carrying a 45 concealed if the clothing allows, or a 380 if I need better concealment. I have 9s and like them but never carry them. That is the way it evolved for me.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I held...(fondled) a lot of guns prior to buying one and I can honestly tell you the two I liked the best are the XD ( I carry) and the Sig (the one I want...bad)

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Fight the urge to obsess over guns.

I say pick a carry caliber, and stay with it. Pick a back up gun same caliber and stick with it.

Shotgun and a fighting rifle. You dont need a gun in every caliber.

After a while the novelty of the gun (tool) will wear off. Fewer calibers makes your life easier. Easier to reload, buy ammo and stock up etc.

Find a good group of guys to train with down in your area, and make it a habit. You will be comfortable in no time.

Good luck.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    on the glock's how do you know which generation they are? I dont want to pay new price for an older gneration that sat around...
    Glock_Generations.jpg

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would follow along with the Glock 19 suggestion. Fine firearm. For more concealable, a Kel-Tec PF9 or P11 is a good companion 9mm carry piece.

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I Just picked up brand new Ruger SR9 17+1 capacity 9mm at PSS today. Walked out the door for under $470 with tax and everything . My dad swears by Glock and Sig being a retired Sheriff but now he is considering picking one up as well.

IMG_0102.jpg

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I have a full size and sub compact Px4 storms. They are amazing pistols. I couldn't choose between the two, luckily I don't have to. The Px4sc is the best shooting subcompact I have ever shot. 13+1 in 9mm, and a quality weapon. Haven't had one issue out of either.

Top Bottom