• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    mainly for a backup HD firearm to my shotgun. Ive decided to apply for LTCH, so it will find itself in a glovebox or on myself at times. I dont see myself carrying it 24/7, so I dont want the tiniest of guns, on the other hand I dont want a full size 9 either.

Would like to spend less than $500, any left over $ would be nice for magazines, ammo, case, holster.

Some Criteria:
    Be a 9mm, all black
    I think I want da/sa but i dont know enough to defend that decision. I liked the added safety aspect of the DA initial shot.
    Dont like the no safety aspect of glocks, even though I enjoy shooting them, and want their reliability
    Considering: Walther p22, H&K USP 9mm compact (a bit out of $ range), FNP9-M, beretta 92fs
    Top reliability, never want to question whether it will work or not. I like the guns that you read about where people have fired 1000+ rounds without a single problem out of the box

Anything else to try out? I dont have the luxury of trying these out at the range.

Last edited:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    There are some SIGs to be had in that price range if you are willing to buy used. They are reliable and they are DA-SA. The P226 is the full size, double stack pistol. Should easily be able to find a used or police trade-in in the $400-450 range. P228 is a bit smaller, but still has the double stack mags (and thicker grips that goes with them).

The best bargain going in SIGs these days is the P6 (a German police issue version of the compact, single stack P225). The German police must have just traded in for something new, because P6s have hit the market here big time. They can be had for roughly $300 in places. If you go this route for a home defense gun, there is something to look for: there is an older and a newer style of feed ramp and some folks have had issues feeding JHPs with the older feed ramps (they were originally meant for FMJ ammo). For further info, try searching SIGForum.com

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    You might look into CZ pistols. I'm quite happy with my CZ-75 B, but if full size guns aren't your thing they have a variety of compact models as well. Price is right, 9mm, all black is available, DA/SA, manual safety, and reliable. The nice thing is that if you decide you want a specific feature (decocker instead of manual safety, for instance) they probably produce a factory gun with that configuration.

Just a thought.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    good suggestions, ill research them a bit more

random question, is there a reason why a gun wouldnt have a magazine lock out?

Last edited:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Glock 19 or 17.

You need to overcome your unfounded fear of having "no safety".

I agree...I love my GLOCK 27.
    I was a bit apprehensive about the "no safety" feature, but now realize that if it's in its holster where it should remain unless I need to use it, it's as safe as it needs to be.
    If I need to do anything else with it, simply drop the mag, rack the slide and then it's safe to show or clean. :twocents:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Smith and Wesson M&P 9 or 9c both can be had with or without manual safety. The 9c is the compact version and is real easy to conceal. The full size feels real good in the hand and not to bad for day to day cary.

Berreta 92f is my favorite for everyday use I have over a 2,000 in mine and not one problem. I can say the same for my MP 40c (i went with the bigger round smaller gun for backup and secondary carry when concealment is crucial).

The main thing is getting what you like, what feels good in your hand and what you shoot best. Try going to some gun shops, gun shows or a range were you can rent guns. Maybe you have a friend or two and try theirs. Handle them, ask to dry fire them and have some fun finding your gun. 500 is enough and don't be afraid to buy used just ask questions.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you want a DAO but like having a manual safety, the Taurus Millennium Pro PT111 is a good choice. I currently have one about six inches from me right now! :) It is my primary home office go to firearm. I have put well over 1000 rounds through it and it has been virtually flawless. Price is right as well.

If you want something larger in size, my next suggestion would be the Beretta PX4 Storm or the good old 92FS.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    You might want to look into a Springfield Armory XD9sc (it's an improvement on the Glock concept:D). I picked mine up for just under 500.

:+1: Think... Glock with more passive safties!

I have three and use one of them in U.S.P.S.A. without a hiccup at all, all year without cleaning. I get done at the match and it goes in the bag and comes out next month. I clean it in the wintertime.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I agree...I love my GLOCK 27.
    I was a bit apprehensive about the "no safety" feature, but now realize that if it's in its holster where it should remain unless I need to use it, it's as safe as it needs to be.
    If I need to do anything else with it, simply drop the mag, rack the slide and then it's safe to show or clean. :twocents:

ATF, I have a G22, and will probably be looking for a warm-weather CCW to replace my Taurus 9mm. How do you like carrying the G27? Is it wider than most subcompacts?

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Safetys make you nervous? Stay with a revolver. Point and shoot. Simple and effective. S&W 642 comes to mind. A nice 6 shot .38 that is, excuse the pun, bulletproof. Something a bit stronger? Ruger SP 101. A handy 5 shot .357. Both well under your budget (you'll have enough $ left over to buy 6 or 7 boxes of shells to play with) and both easy on a glovebox without taking alot of room. Remember, it's not bullet quantity, but bullet placement that counts. And all it takes is one.;)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Do not let the price hold you back. I have a USP .40 that I have owned since they first came out. It is second to the last gun I would ever get rid of (last gun would be my P7M8). First gun I would be happy to get rid of? Glock 19. The only reason I still have it is because my wife won't let me sell/trade guns, just buy them.

HK makes some of the best guns - period.

Ever shot a USP? Come on up to Kokomo some time and I'll let you take mine for a test drive at the local range...

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    ATF, I have a G22, and will probably be looking for a warm-weather CCW to replace my Taurus 9mm. How do you like carrying the G27? Is it wider than most subcompacts?

It conceals fairly well, I have run and even played basketball while carrying :):
    I have a Galco IWB holster that I have at 4 o'clock and can't complain.
    I only have a 31" waist so I can't carry my holster at 3 o'clock, as it is very uncomfortable.
    I've also carried at 1 o'clock with no real issues, other than kinda jabbing into my pelvic area when leaning over.
    I thought I would want a small one to carry, but no way would I change now.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    random question, is there a reason why a gun wouldnt have a magazine lock out?

Are you talking about the feature that prevents the gun from firing if the magazine is removed?

There are a number of reasons not to want this feature. One is, it is conceivable that you could drop the mag inadvertently (or in close fighting, someone might grab your gun and do it for you). In this case you might still have a cartridge in the chamber and want to shoot, but the "safety feature" wouldn't let you. Another reason - on some guns, particularly Browning High Powers I believe, there is a feeling that the gun has a more desirable trigger pull without the mag disconnect safety.

Other folks just object to adding extra features that can potentially malfunction and disable the gun - especially when they are "safety features" that don't really help a trained/experienced user. The alleged reason for mag disconnect safeties is that people who don't understand semiautos and haven't been trained may believe that the pistol is unloaded when the mag is removed. People who know guns realize this isn't true, and realize that if you want to check whether a pistol is loaded, you look in the chamber, not in the mag well. In this case, you have extra mechanisms added to the gun that are supposed to compensate for a lack of training and gun knowledge on the part of the user. Adding extra mechanisms to any design is just that many more things that can malfunction - and when Murphy's Law is in effect, that is probably going to happen the one time in your life when you have a bad guy coming at you and you really need your gun to work.

Personally, I think a mechanically simple, soundly engineered firearm and a well-trained user are going to be a lot safer than a gun with all kinds of extra safety mechanisms tacked on to it to make up for lack of training on the user's part.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom