• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    First off, over the years I've considered carrying and always found a reason why not to, and now I have found a reason why there's no reason that I shouldn't be carrying.

Currently I've got a G19, and it's our bedside buddy. I've thought about carrying it, but the only holster I've got for it is a blackhawk serpa that sticks out quite a bit and even with a shirt over the top of it, it sticks out like a sore thumb. What's a holster that would help me hide that gun?

The other approach I'm considering is to buy a smaller gun that even more conceilable. I've owned a PF9 in the past and I really liked that size. I've also had an xd sub 9mm and it was so big that I never really carried it. With that said that's why I probably wouldn't want to buy a G26 for me, but and I'm looking for a S&W shield locally to buy.

My questions would be where do I even start with a S&W shiled in terms of holsters? I'd love to get a pocket holster that it'd slip into but I don't know who makes a good quality holster for it.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I carry an XD45 in a DeSantis mini slide. I do OC/CC, but it rides high and is tight to my body so it does conseal well. Most paddle holsters do not ride real high to conseal well. Inside the waist band is another option. I have not had personal experience with one, but the Crossbreed tuck holsters are suppose to be very good for this.

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    An affordable entry into IWB holsters you might want to check out are available on ebay via company called Old Faithful Holsters. I have one for my PPQ and its great and incredibly comfortable. I'm a big fan of IWB holsters.

As for carry, I can only recommend that you get the most comfortable weapon you can carry, simply because you will likely carry it more often. The sheild is a great pistol, and there are many options out there like the Ruger LCR/P, Kahr compact 9mm, etc.

When I used to own a Ruger LCR, I would carry it in a pocket holster and it was on me 24/7. The nice thing about pocket holsters is before you leave the house, just drop it in your pocket and you're ready to rock.

Good luck with whichever route you choose to go!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    S&W shield in an IWB holster is about as good as it gets. My hands are too big for a Shield, so I use a M&P9c instead. I also use a regular Serpa holster whenever I don't feel like being discreet, but sometimes it just isn't practical. I don't like the PF9 because it sucks to shoot, and isn't nearly as accurate, but with a Shield or M&P9c (or Glock 26, etc.) you should be as accurate as a your Glock.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Good luck getting one unless you could supply us with a link.

Are referring to the wait time? I'd just use a cheap Uncle Mike's or a good used leather holster until I received the VMII. It's well worth the wait.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You're used to the G19. Stick with it.

I EDC a G19. And I can conceal it VERY easy, all day long comfortably, with a Comp-TAC MTAC IWB holster.

I also use a Raven Concealment OWB holster. It conceals very easy too.

The grip of the gun is unseen with either holster.

Use your Glock 19.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

I EDC a G19. And I can conceal it VERY easy, all day long comfortably, with a Comp-TAC MTAC IWB holster.

Use your Glock 19.

Pretty well beat me to it. There is more to carrying the gun than the gun itself. A good holster, my favorite being the Raven Phantom, and a good quality belt made for bearing a load, my favorite among those is the Ares Gear ranger belt is an absolute must have. And the G19 is probably one of the best combinations of capacity, size, weight and it lends itself to carry with little to no sharp edges or corners to catch on clothing. Even among the most hard-core Glock haters come a ton of respect for the G19 and if they weren't so radically different from what I normally shoot, I'd be carrying one myself.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Lots of folks make IWB holsters for your Glock. Some of them are here on this forum as sponsors. If you can't find someone you like here, the Glock Forum has more holster makers.

If you're going to carry any pistol, it would be well to consider getting a one-or-two magazine holder to complement the holster you're going to carry it in.

Next thing you want to do is either spend some time and learn the applicable firearms laws and/or spend the cash to attend a tactical firearms course to give you a start on the kinds of things you need to be aware of if you're carrying for self-defense.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Use your Glock 19.
    What he said. Comp Tac makes some really good gear and their customer service is first rate, also. I have no personal experience with Raven, but many here on INGO speak highly of them too. Here is a link to the MTAC.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The only problem with getting something from Raven anymore is the massive lead time that's developed along with their popularity.

True. But once you get your holster after the 45-day wait time, you'll quickly realize the wait was worth it.

Their holsters are friggin' awesome.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    A great many of Raven's holsters are in their Quick Ship area and can be in-hand in less than 30 days. I'm have Raven's for my G 21 and my M&P45 and M&P9 plus mag pouches for my M&P45 to boot. I'll have an order in for the mag pouches for the 9mm M&P here before too long.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A great many of Raven's holsters are in their Quick Ship area and can be in-hand in less than 30 days. I'm have Raven's for my G 21 and my M&P45 and M&P9 plus mag pouches for my M&P45 to boot. I'll have an order in for the mag pouches for the 9mm M&P here before too long.
    No wonder they are so backlogged :D

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Stick eith the G19, it is best at what it does, took me lots of weapons and money to figure that out! A MTAC or Crossbred holster is what you want for CC'ing.

jdorp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    I have two. My first was a simple Don Hume

Don Hume IWB

My second was the Galco King Tuk

Galco King Tuk

I like the both, but I like the King Tuk better. I like how it keeps the gun angled forward a little. The Don Hume wants to be perfectly upright and sometimes that means the butt of the gun prints a little more. But for when I want to grab my gun for just a quick errand it is easier to grab the Don Hume.

One warning on the Galco. I needed to store it with my gun in it for a few days to loosen it up enough where I could easily pull the gun with out using two hands. Just needed to stretch it out a little.

Top Bottom