• spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I didn't see this anywhere on here...

WUSA9.com | Washington, DC | DC Rejects Handgun Application

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- District residents can start registering their guns today. But at least one very high profile application was already rejected.
    Dick Heller is the man who brought the lawsuit against the District's 32-year-old ban on handguns. He was among the first in line Thursday morning to apply for a handgun permit.
    But when he tried to register his semi-automatic weapon, he says he was rejected. He says his gun has seven bullet clip. Heller says the City Council legislation allows weapons with fewer than eleven bullets in the clip. A spokesman for the DC Police says the gun was a bottom-loading weapon, and according to their interpretation, all bottom-loading guns are outlawed because they are grouped with machine guns.
    Besides obtaining paperwork to buy new handguns, residents also can register firearms they've had illegally under a 180-day amnesty period.
    Though residents will be allowed to begin applying for handgun permits, city officials have said the entire process could take weeks or months.

Here's the link to the DC police website
    Metropolitan Police Department: Gun Registration

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    According to the DC Police:

"What types of firearms can I register?

Shotguns, rifles, and revolvers. However, a shotgun barrel cannot be less than 20 inches in length, and a rifle barrel cannot be less than 16 inches in length and must have a total overall length of 26 inches or more. No weapon can shoot more than one shot by a single function of the trigger, or semi-automatically shoot more than 12 shots without manual reloading or be readily converted or restored to do so."
    He should have known he'd never be allowed to register anything but a revolver. Glad I don't live in D.C. What a pain in the ass.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    so... they're allowed to have guns to defend themselves...
    just not the type of gun that brought the high profile case to the supreme court to begin with?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Since the Supreme Court Failed define in detail it will take many more court battles to gain their 2nd amendment rights.

The only application received yesterday was from a woman who brought a revolver to the registration office under the amnesty program, officials said.
    After the gun was test-fired and the woman completed registration paperwork and a written test, she went home with the gun to await a decision on her application.
    By law, she must keep the gun in her home, unloaded and either disassembled or fitted with a trigger lock, and she is not allowed to use it, even for self-defense, unless her application is approved. The process involves a background check for disqualifying factors such as a felony record or history of mental illness.

Gun Registrations Off To Slow Start in D.C. - washingtonpost.com

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    He tried to register a 9-shot 22 revolver and a 1911.

He was denied because he didn't bring them with him. They are stored with a friend out of the district.

Also bringing a 1911 into DC may have gotton the gun confiscated and him arrested for having an "illegal machine gun" since the DC definition of machine gun includes any semi-automatic gun that can accept a magazine of 12 rounds or more... since such magazines are available, well... let's just say he did the right thing by having his lawyer present.

A 1911 was a great choice to try to register under the "common usage" verbiage of the decision. Been around for 100 years, one of the most popular models in the nation for all of that time and used in two world wars.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    A spokesman for the DC Police says the gun was a bottom-loading weapon, and according to their interpretation, all bottom-loading guns are outlawed because they are grouped with machine guns.

:wtf:Am I missing something here but would this wording make both my pump and semi auto shot gun, (shell inserted into the bottom of both) and "any" sporting rifle with a magazine that is inserted from below ILLEGAL :dunno:
    Leaver action and tube feed autos could also be covered as the cartridge enters the chamber from the bottom.
    This could even be read to allow only single shot anything, and revolvers.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    :wtf:Am I missing something here but would this wording make both my pump and semi auto shot gun, (shell inserted into the bottom of both) and "any" sporting rifle with a magazine that is inserted from below ILLEGAL :dunno:
    Leaver action and tube feed autos could also be covered as the cartridge enters the chamber from the bottom.
    This could even be read to allow only single shot anything, and revolvers.

Doesn't sound like you are missing anything to me. I had the same thought about my shotguns. My break action over-under is a-okay, but my Remington 1100 isn't, by DC standards.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    DC laws really need some help

I don't recall if I quoted this here before (I think I did), but my grandfather once said of the small town in which he lived that the town would benefit most from "a few good funerals".

In reference to DC, I once again find wisdom in his words.

Blessings,
    B

Santee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    D.C. has a bumper crop of idiots, it would take a hell of a lot of funerals!

Also, even a legal weapon, when and if there is one, has to be trigger locked or disassembled and only made workable when there is an immediate preceived threat.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    D.C. has a bumper crop of idiots, it would take a hell of a lot of funerals!

Also, even a legal weapon, when and if there is one, has to be trigger locked or disassembled and only made workable when there is an immediate preceived threat.

I would argue that the threat exists 24-7 living in that ******** of a city..

BTW,, Who the hell lives in DC? I have acquaintances who are FBI and CIA, they wouldn't be caught dead living in DC so they live in Springfield VA..

Top Bottom