• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'd say the ruling is not perfect, but it definitely leaves the opportunity for future suits in less friendly states.

I'm also pretty sure that someone is going to have to sue in DC again, as Fenti (the dumba$$ mayor) said they will not allow registration of any semi-automatics this morning (going against the court ruling entirely) :n00b:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I just read the news.

I'm extremely happy with the ruling. Sure it could be better, but it could ALWAYS be better. At least we're not LOSING ground!

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Its bitter sweet for me. With the 5 to 4 decision it will be a short lived decision probably. Scary it may happen in my lifetime.

The Supreme Court doesn't overrule decisions every time its make-up changes. Did you see how carefully they treated Miller so as to not overrule it? They did everyhing they could to distinguish it and make it seem different because there wasn't a clear reason to overrule it. I can't think of a clear reason to overrule this. The best they could do would be to define it in the future so that it only applies to DC and other Federal possessions and not to States. I don't think that will be horribly likely because of how strongly they relied on the wordings of the 1st and 4th Amendments, and how they kept drawing analogies to those amendments, which are both incorporated. Incorporation is imminent, it will just take the proper case.

Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about a new Court changing this decisions in anyway. "Because we feel differently" is not a valid reason to ignore stare decisis.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The Supreme Court doesn't overrule decisions every time its make-up changes. Did you see how carefully they treated Miller so as to not overrule it? They did everyhing they could to distinguish it and make it seem different because there wasn't a clear reason to overrule it. I can't think of a clear reason to overrule this. The best they could do would be to define it in the future so that it only applies to DC and other Federal possessions and not to States. I don't think that will be horribly likely because of how strongly they relied on the wordings of the 1st and 4th Amendments, and how they kept drawing analogies to those amendments, which are both incorporated. Incorporation is imminent, it will just take the proper case.

Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about a new Court changing this decisions in anyway. "Because we feel differently" is not a valid reason to ignore stare decisis.

All of this is irrelevant if we vote appropriately, right?

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Rush was making the point that we had 4 Justices willing to declare the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution null and void and how disturbing that is. The problem we face now is that even if McCain wins, who knows what kind of Justice he would appoint. He likes to be bipartisan and will likely seek input from his old buddy Lieberman. So although this is a great victory, we must hope and pray it isn't short lived. Libs never worry about precedent, they just worry about Conservatives following their precedents.

I remember a few years ago watching Alan Dershowitz on the tube. Of course he is very anti gun and advocates getting rid of the second amendment. But at least at that point in time, he said that if we read the 2nd as expansively as we read the 1st there could be no regulations on gun rights at all.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I laughed when the DC mayor "cried like a little french girl" about how "disappointed" he was with the Supreme Court and the decision.

Yes, the mayor stated that they had 21 days to confirm and you could tell it chared his liberal a$$ that he has to offer an "amnesty" period too!!:draw:

Its sad that it took 31 years to overturn and that the vote was 5-4 after 8 years of a Repub. President.
    icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

I fired off a few rounds in the back 40 to celebrate too!!! :do2:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    we had 4 Justices willing to declare the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution null and void and how disturbing that is. The problem we face now is that even if McCain wins, who knows what kind of Justice he would appoint.
    I believe he's on record stating he'll pick conservative Judges.
    He likes to be bipartisan and will likely seek input from his old buddy Lieberman.
    Possible, but he will remember what issues got him elected. If not, there will be lots of folks to remind him.

One way or another, if McCain does not win, we know for sure what kind of Judges will be appointed.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    This decision begs the question: What gun does Scalia carry? :):

I've read some of the comments about the decision, but I'm about to download the .pdf and read it.

KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    :patriot:I understand they have already filed law suites in Ill. and Cal. This is a battle won but a long war ahead. Sorry about starting other thread in the wrong place. I could just not hold my excitement for the win for us.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Anyone catch Hardball with Chris Matthews tonight? They talked about this case with Wayne LaPierre and Matthews said something to the effect of: Well since this is such a huge victory for the NRA and gun owners why would you still be concerned about the "black helicopters" coming and taking away people's firearms? This is almost verbatim what he said when Wayne LaPierre was talking about how the NRA will continue to file lawsuits to challenge other gun bans in the US. So does Matthews think all gun owners are a bunch of crazy right-wing extremists thinking the "black helicopters" are coming to take away our guns? I suppose I'm only offended because I'm one of those bitter people that clings to guns, religion, and anti-immigrant sentiment. :):
    Just thought it was a rather ridiculous statement, anyone else happen to see that?

Santee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Fairly good ruling, leaving 'gun nuts' with quite a few options for further review. Suits are flying, and the politicos are about to get a cornholling if they do not fix their damn unconstitutional laws. I believe the worst worry in some politicos minds is that the citizens will have their weapons and crime will go down.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie

Yes, but there you go thinking logically. Be careful. :):

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    I believe he's on record stating he'll pick conservative Judges.
    Possible, but he will remember what issues got him elected. If not, there will be lots of folks to remind him.

One way or another, if McCain does not win, we know for sure what kind of Judges will be appointed.

:+1: I agree totally. If Obama gets elected we know what sort of official he will put in place.

Top Bottom