• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    To start, I've been carrying a service model 9mm XD in a SmartCarry holster for a couple months now. Sometimes it seems like a little too much gun to be carrying in my pants. Other times, it's barely noticeable. Now I'm contemplating buying a compact pistol, but I'm split between the XDSC and the M&P Compact. I'm not looking for opinions on the guns themselves, but more so the important dimensions for a concealed gun.

The XDSC 9mm is 6.25" in length and 4.75" in height.

The M&P 9mm Compact is 6.7" in length and 4.3" in height.

I haven't found a single store with them both in stock, so I haven't been able to see them side by side. For concealed carry, would I benefit more from a gun that is shorter in length or height?

Also, does the height measurement on the M&P include the pinky extension on the magazine? I ask because I'd be adding a Pearce grip extension onto the XDSC, so would that make the height measurement even greater?

Springfield XD 9mm SC

S&W M&P 9mm Compact

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    "To start, I've been carrying a service model 9mm XD in a SmartCarry holster for a couple months now. Sometimes it seems like a little too much gun to be carrying in my pants."

Never had that problem.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    it seems like a little too much gun to be carrying in my pants.

Don't worry....I get that all the time. :dunno:

:laugh:

Personally I think the length as you are describing it makes the most difference. If you think about an IWB holster and how the gun tucks, the same handle portion of the pistol will be "exposed" so to speak, regardless of its heigth. However, if it is a lengthier pistol, it requires a much deeper tuck to gain the same exposure of handle, and may even expose more handle than if it were shorter. Also, that deeper tuck leads to more barrel/metal below the belt, which can be uncomfortable or difficult to keep from printing.

Your idea of comparing side by side would be recommended to see what you think would be most comfortable to you.

:twocents:

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Height is your biggest problem due to the grip sticking out. I have M&P compact and it conceals very well even with the extended mag baseplate.

Buckaroo

1/2 shot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    State of Confusion
    I carry an XD45 Service Model in a Don Hume IWB at about 5 o'clock, I'm fairly tall so length dosen't make much difference, but I have to adjust the grip every now and then as it wants to show. But it's just like American Express don't leave home without it! That's my:twocents:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I agree that the height will likely influence how concealable a pistol is more then the length. With the right holster, the extra .45 inches in length will really not make any difference, particularly an IWB holster.

As for the height question, I would say that the M&P height measurement is w/o the mag extension you see in the picture. On the XD, if you add a Pearce extension the height will go up.

However, I think the most important thing that should influence your purchase decision is the fact that you already own an XD. Assuming you like the XD you have, that makes a very strong argument for buying another as all the muscle memory you have learned with one XD will transfer to the other.

I am thinking of going the opposite direction as you. My carry gun is a Glock 26 and I have decided I want something with more sight radius anda longer grip. However, the only gun I am considering is the Glock 19 since I like my 26 and I am 100% used to the Glock trigger, position of the slide release, position of the mag release, ect.

In you situation, unless you do not like your XD, you should get another XD.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Length usually determines comfort. Height and width usually determine concealment. a gun is most likely to print at the butt (of the gun not you, haha) unless you get a general outline of the gun. I'm having trouble thinking of any advice that isn't just my preferences. I like a gun that is at least close to full size. If I was going to go with a subcompact I would want as much barrel as possible.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    " a little too much gun to be carrying in my pants. "

1) Thats what she said.

2) You can NEVER have too much gun.

3) In a Smart Carry holster the bigger the better. Is that a gun in your pants or are you just happy to see me.

4) Anyone will tell you it isn't height or length, it's width and size does matter.

:laugh:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I wouldn't buy a compact just to conceal it better. I would buy the compact just to have another gun though.:D

Maybe you just need a new holster. I carry my XD45C in a Raven Phantom. I carry at 3 o'clock and have never had a problem.

If you still one of these two guns I suggest you go shoot them first and find out what works best.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    In you situation, unless you do not like your XD, you should get another XD.
    I do like my XD, and I think you may have an excellent point here. I just want to make sure there's a considerable size difference between my service model and a subcompact with the pinky finger extension.

Maybe you just need a new holster. I carry my XD45C in a Raven Phantom. I carry at 3 o'clock and have never had a problem.
    Maybe you're right. I'd never heard of the Raven Phantom before. The xdtalk forums preach the Crossbread Supertuck. Maybe I should look into an IWB.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    The nice thing about the M&P compact is the sight radius is great for a small gun. The reason I got rid of my Glock 19 was I shoot my 9c better and it is slightly easier to conceal.

While the 19 is a larger gun and has a longer barrel, if you hold them up side by side the 9c and the Glock 19 have pretty much the exact same sight radius.

Also I'll 2nd the vote for a Phantom holster from Raven. That is what I carry my 9c in and I love it.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    Went to the Lafayette Gun Show today, and one guy had the XD9 SC and the M&P 9C right next to each other (sweet for comparison!). Although the grip on the M&P feels a little better, I'm now thinking that it might be a good idea to stick with the XD family since I like my service model so much. Plus, I like (and am familiar with) the XD trigger pull.

Oh, and just to be sure I wasn't crazy, I picked up the full-size M&P in 9mm to see what it felt like. Definitely not as good as my XD service model, so I'm still confident in my choice for a full-size.

Anyways, the guy wanted $540 for the XD9 SC, so my search continues. What a rip-off.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    CC Size Consideration

I have experimented with different carry weapons and still not completly happy. I believe that the width is the most important size consideration fopr concealability. The problem is that when you reduce width you usually give up round count and when you are a marginal shot rounds count. The other important facter is the holster. I am now looking at a Galco OWB for my XD40 SC. Good question, if it was easy we all would do the same thing and that would be boring.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    My M&P 9 compact sits in a Galco IWB at appendix position. It's comfortable, conceals well with an untucked shirt and quickly accessible. For the past 18 months, it's had ZERO malfunctions.

Never tried the XD or compact Glock.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 10 1/2 barrel....every time I want to ghetto carry it my wife won't let me out of the house.

Top Bottom