• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    What kind of pack would you use to carry 4k rds of 5.56 ammo.In case you needed to bug out? That is quite a bit of weight maybe atleast 2k . In any case what would you buy?

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    ammo

500 rds of 223 weighs in box and then in its card board case is approx 14.5 lbs depending on brand and packaging. you do the math.
    Thats alot of weight

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    radio-flyer-town-country-wagon.jpg

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    a seabag would work but thats a heavy load. plus the corners of the box would kill you travel in about 30 min. max. but if you have a dirt bike or 4wheeler a seabag in my op would work.:twocents:

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    You can get a shelf for the old Army rucksack, and strap an ammo can to it. We used to strap 2 .30 cal cans or 1 .50 can of 5.56 when the mission dicatated that much ammunition. If I can dig one out later, I'll try to post a pic.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    If you are in E&E bug-out mode, then....

all the ammo should already be loaded in magazines. Strap it on in every comfortable place. Don't try to be "Ninja-kewl" or go camo-nutzo about it. You don't need sexy mag-slots or pouches; seal the tops with clingy Saran-wrap and stuff a mag anywhere it will fit: inside your bed-roll, anywhere you have food stashed in ration-sized packs, inside your poncho-roll, etc. Hide the obvious shape of a magazine if you can. Carrying a full can of ammo is a sure way to get your brains blown out by evil carnivores. Pat

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I wouldn't carry that much any further than to my truck.

To pack it from the house to the truck, in one trip, I would stack it on a Kifaru cargo chair.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i have to agree with 360 here his all terrain wheels get my vote lol. as for the original poster we carried a good amount in afghanistan in our rucks but if you aren't used to walking with it it will break you quick. imo take your ruger 10-22 2k rounds and a bunch of other stuff thats gonna be needed like food water clothes. ect

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Negative. The skinny tires = high speed, low drag. Epic win.

Until you get into a soft area of grass or mud or whatever. LOL - then it's epic FAIL. :rockwoot:

I have one of those ATW's and the fat tires are awesome.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I was thinking along the lines of a SHTF senerio of people coming door to door (who ever it my be, searching for people or weapons and your out gunned,what the best B.O.B. that you all have found. Ammo,first aid, some food, sleeping bag,otis cleaning kit,knives,ect. it would take a heavy duty bag to hold all these things.I live in the woods so the wagon idea wouldnt work in the hills of southern in.$ wheeler would be the best option if time was on your side,but that might not be the case. just thought I would pick the minds of similar minded thinkers.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    all the ammo should already be loaded in magazines. Strap it on in every comfortable place. Don't try to be "Ninja-kewl" or go camo-nutzo about it. You don't need sexy mag-slots or pouches; seal the tops with clingy Saran-wrap and stuff a mag anywhere it will fit: inside your bed-roll, anywhere you have food stashed in ration-sized packs, inside your poncho-roll, etc. Hide the obvious shape of a magazine if you can. Carrying a full can of ammo is a sure way to get your brains blown out by evil carnivores. Pat

I would need 300 ,30 rounders for that,and that would just add to the weight problem,but I do have several.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    DJ-102 FM

Say what? "I would need 300 ,30 rounders for that,and that would just add to the weight problem,but I do have several." Well, then, "several" would have to be enough. Bury the remainder of your stash en route to your RP. If you have a Bail-out plan, it should include having a deep-stealth patch of ground somewhere where more goodies could be buried. I don't think many carnivores will be packing metal-detectors in their search for easy food/fortune/females/fun anyway. Get the hell outa Dodge, and have a rendezvous point. How serious do you think a SHTF scenario is gonna be?? If it's so serious that you are packing weapons and ammo, it will be so serious that you may encounter kill-or-be-killed people. Can you pass that test? Pat.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    If you are seriously going to try and carry 50+ pounds of ammo with a backpack, I'd go this route. Take the boxes and wrap them several times with packing tape. Make sure that it as as secure as possible. Next, get an old, external frame backpack and strip it down to just the frame and carrying straps. Secure the boxes to the frame, wrap with a lightweight tarp to keep the weather off, and then head on out. This will provide you with a very stable, sturdy platform to carry your ammo.

That said, how far are you going to get while carrying 50+ pounds on your back? If you want to take that much ammo, you'll either need other people to go with you, or you won't have space (or energy) to carry 1) much food at all, 2) a tent, 3) much water, 4) extra clothes, 5) or any other supplies. You'll be using your ammo pack as a very nice seat as you die from dehydration, starvation, or exposure, and on the off chance that you get where you're going you won't have the supplies that you'll need.

A much better route would be a cart or wagon, as has already been suggested. Man made the wheel for a reason; to be more efficient at work. If it's winter and the ground is snow covered, use a sled. Better yet, take one along even if it's not snowing right now, because it might before you get where you're going. You'll be able to pull a lot more weight either in a wagon or on a sled than you'll ever be able to on your back. In rough, mountainous terrain that wouldn't work, but we don't have to worry about that here in Indiana.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    all b.s. aside if you want to carry weight like that then go ahead and spend big money on something like mystery ranch or kifaru. they are both amazing set ups and definitely make you feel like your carring a lot less weight. your looking at 250-600 dollar packs but they are expensive for a reason. again i went on many many marches in afghanistan with more weight than i needed and i loved my mystery ranch pack. i also had a very nice tactical taylor external frame pack that i loved and still have. i could carry 2x the weight in either one of the of those packs that i could carry in a regular alice pack or cheap back pack. they are worth the money if your really serious about it. and i have heard the same thing about kifaru but i haven't had one or experienced them but i hear they are awesome and have great costumer service also.

again i recommend you find another way to do it if possible. like go with the 10-22 and a couple thousand rounds vs the alternative but if thats what you have and need to go with. i recommend one of the above packs as they carry amazing

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    This...
    Zendor__cart.321180927.jpg

or this...
    sled%20team.JPG

Sure, it's an extra mouth or two to feed, but the Newf is a friendly guardian who has an instinct for water rescue as well as the ability to pull.

Malamutes are renowned for their heavy pulling abilities and endless stamina. With the right cart (on wheels/paved surface) I would guess two could pull an average man and quite a bit of gear. Of course, if they hear a siren, they might give away your position by responding to the "howl".

I would be hesitant to pack so much weight in ammo because, even if you can hump a 70 pound pack 10 miles a day, you've just burned much of your capacity on ammo, and may not be able to bring enough food to get you to point X if things take longer than expected and, doesn't everything?

Top Bottom