• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nirol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    I use the Howard Leights...Howard Leight | Impact Sport

Personally I've had a great experience with them. I tend to see 3-4 of them at each IDPA match I attend, and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them when asked how they like them.

YMMV of course, but should anything happen to mine, I will likely re-buy the same model without looking at other options.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    671923.jpg

Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 22 dB) Green

That ^

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'll soon be putting together a review/comparison of several popular models of electronic hearing protection, including the models listed above and a few others.
    Speaking of which, what is your definition of "soon"? You've been teasing us about this for weeks now and I'm excited for the results...

:D

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I have been using the Howard Leights for a while and have been generally happy with them. But at Steel Challenge when I am shooting a .22 I have been having trouble hearing some of my hits when the range gets noisy. I am beginning to wonder if I would be better off buying something better. Anyone else have this problem?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    But at Steel Challenge when I am shooting a .22 I have been having trouble hearing some of my hits when the range gets noisy. I am beginning to wonder if I would be better off buying something better. Anyone else have this problem?

Here is why that happens.

HL's use what is called "peak clipping" technology. When a loud sound rises above a certain dB level, it cuts off the electronics entirely so the sound doesn't reach your ears. What it then leaves you with is "regular" muffs to mute the sound.

This works, but it makes conversation on a loud range impossible. If gunfire is going off then the electronics aren't working and you are back to the same as standard non-electric muffs.

The other option is "compression" technology. In these muffs, the sound that reach above a certain dB level are compressed, making them hearing safe. So you still "hear" the gunshot, but you hear it at a level that won't damage your ears.

What this means is that you can be on a range with several shooters and still carry on a conversation with those around you. No more "clipping" or electronics slamming off and on. Its quite seamless.

This is part of the difference in a $50 pair and a $100 pair of electronic earpro.

USMCsergeant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Vincennes
    Peltor tactical sport are amazing! Got some off ebay for a fraction of the retail cost. They were factory sealed and all. Keep watching and wait for a sale where noone bids.

digitick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Here is why that happens...
    HL's use what is called "peak clipping" technology....
    The other option is "compression" technology...
    This is part of the difference in a $50 pair and a $100 pair of electronic earpro.

Nice clarification, thanks! I wondered why such a steep difference in price.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom