• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Yesterday I was driving north on Moontown Rd north of 191st St.

On the side of the road was a legs up deer that had been beheaded. Assume it was a buck, but didn't stop to check... Called the Sheriff to let them know.

Damn clean cut. Laser like. Should have looped back to get a pic, but didn't.

Can't imagine what kind of smack this joker will be talking when he mounts it up on the wall and his buddies ask where he got it. :noway:

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Can't imagine what kind of smack this joker will be talking when he mounts it up on the wall and his buddies ask where he got it. :noway:

I bet he does not say his weapon of choice was a 2003 Silverado. lol

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    I would have taken more than the head home!!

If you hit a deer you have the right to take it home dont you?
    Can you still process a deer if you hit it with your car and its relatively in one piece?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would have taken more than the head home!!

If you hit a deer you have the right to take it home dont you?
    Can you still process a deer if you hit it with your car and its relatively in one piece?

You must get the blessings of the authorities, who I assume get you some paperwork, without which you might be in trouble.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    There's always jackwagons out there that do this. I've seen several around that way. Or they take what they want from the deer and dump it in the ditch somewhere. It pisses me off to see this when someone couldn't shot this animal in season and used everything from the animal.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    There's always jackwagons out there that do this. I've seen several around that way. Or they take what they want from the deer and dump it in the ditch somewhere. It pisses me off to see this when someone couldn't shot this animal in season and used everything from the animal.

so should they just leave the deer on the side of the road to waste away. i am not arguing but if you hit a deer its never on purpose and its messes your veh up so why not at least get something out of it. the police will give u paper work if you call it in and you can keep it. also i have taken the rack before to use to rattle with. no point in leaving it on the side of the road if you can get use out of it. i don't see what the purpose is to take the whole head and leave the rest that is silly but if some guy wants to lie to his buddies about how he took this big buck blah blah again it was just gonna be wasted on the side of the road

sorry i understand where everyone is coming from but if that deer messed his truck up i see no reason he can't have the head if he wants it. or if he leaves it i see no reason why someone else can't take it.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I have sawed the horns off of two road kills before, kept one pair as rattling antlers and gave the other pair to someone else. Maybe someone didn't have a saw with them so they just sliced off the head to take and saw the antlers off? You can bet they weren't trying to mount the head or they would have had to skin out the neck and shoulders, plus taxidermists don't generally take deer heads in the summer and with no tag on them.

Like grunt said, why let it waste?

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have wondered about this in the past, I know if a person hits a deer on the road they can usually contact DNR/CO/Police and get a roadkill tag to take it home.

What about just the rack??

I would like a set of antlers to use for rattling, but i didn't know the legality of taking them off a dead deer on the road. Does anybody know if it's legal to cut the rack off a dead buck???? My guess would be i'd have to get the roadkill tag first??

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    If I'm wrong, Jack Ryan will correct me :D, if a deer is hit, a road kill permit is issued. This permit from a LEO acts as a tag, and shows legal possesion. I picked one up from our local CO, and recieved the same paper permit. I get calls for hits all the time, mostly does, or small bucks, no wall hanger:dunno:.
    You can get quite a bit of meat from a deer sometimes, depends were they were hit. Even if all you can get is the backstraps, thats good eatin for free! MAKE SURE YOU GET THE PERMIT!!! It is ILLEGAL to posses a deer without one, another piece of advice... do not mercy kill a deer. The CO can consider you killing it, and that gets messy, thankfully we have a good CO that understood.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    I could have been that the "perp" actually shot the deer illegally at night from the truck, and cut the horn then left. That happens alot out my way. People see a deer from the car/truck, stop shoot it and cut the head off. Its disgraceful to say the least. C.O.'s have been using the decoys out here the past few years and have had some luck busting those involved in this sort of activity.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    To just take the rack, you still need a tag (permit). The sherriffs dept will issue a road kill permit, so will the CO. Its just the same as shooting one, if its in your possesion you neet a tag of some sort.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Removing a road killed deer requires a permit issued by a LEO or CO. Illegal to cut off rack w/o permit. I believe you are still required to remove the deer.So if you got the permit youcan't jsut cut off the rack and leave the carcass, load it up and bait the devil dogs.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    To just take the rack, you still need a tag (permit). The sherriffs dept will issue a road kill permit, so will the CO. Its just the same as shooting one, if its in your possesion you neet a tag of some sort.

By the way if you find a dead deer anywhere, in the road or in the woods and you take the rack home with you ,you still have to get a tag from a CO. You can hunt sheds and pick them up ,but for some reason taking the rack off a carcus is different. luckily the Co in Barth co. were nice enough to let my friend keep the rack. It is a wall hanger.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Most LE Officers know of guys/families that will pick up a road kill. My family has butchered road kills for years. Like someone else said, you can get a lot of good meat off a fresh road kill depending where it was struck and how long it laid there.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    You must get the blessings of the authorities, who I assume get you some paperwork, without which you might be in trouble.

Correct, the local PD or local Sheriff (whoever handles it) can issue you a temporary transportation tag for you to keep the deer and process it yourself or take it to a processing facility. I was asked when I hit my deer, but after conferring with dad (where all the processing equipment is, I live in an apartment) it was an issue of bad timing. The officer said he'd call HIS dad and he'd come get it, lol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom