• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaksun7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    AR 15 armorer to check headspace

I just completed my first ar 15 build and im looking for an armorer to check the head space before shooting. Any suggestions for someone in the indianapolis area is appreciated.

Thanks
    Eric

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If you are using a mil-spec parkerized bolt, checking headspace is a waste of time.

You are GTG. Go shoot your rifle.

^^This is what I was always told^^
    Since an AR is head spaced off the barrel extension which is installed at the factory, as long as the barrel nut is torqued properly.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Yes, they speak the truth. I am by no means an armorer but I've assembled a couple ARs from parts and they ran like a sewing machine.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Never hurts to check. Its very easy to do. Just buy a no-go gauge and if the bolt closes on it then you have too much headspace and the problem needs to be rectified before firing the rifle. No-go gauge runs around $20-$30 depending on which brand and where you buy it.

FYI Ive never had a build fail a no-go gauge test and never had a AR build self destruct. Ive also never bought a factory built complete rifle, all of the ones Ive built were parts kit or pieced together.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I just finished a build and I did check the headspace, which was good. I feel that it should be checked. 99.9% of the time, you will be gtg. Bit it's that 0.1% that will get you. Never hurts to double check and the gauge isn't that expensive.

Top Bottom