• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Traditional! Pistol grips are pistol grips. Not shotgun grips! (they do go on rifles I guess) But they are not for shotguns!

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    You should check on the laws, I bought a pistol grip shotgun couple years ago and it was considered a handgun as all laws for handguns apply, things might have changed but you better check, I bought thus at a indiana gun shop and live in mich and had to have it shipped to local dealer only because of pistol grip on it , if it had a stock I could have walked out the door with it

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I should have been more specific, I didn't think about ones that don't have a stock.

What I am thinking about is like this one;

weekend_deal_13.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've used both and didn't see a huge difference, TBH, but do find the pistol grips slightly more comfortable. Definitely boils down to personal preference.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    IMO you should just run a shot gun as is, as a long gun. I don't know from experience I have been told by people who do that if you train with it and run a lot of rounds in a day that pistol grip will get uncomfortable fast… Someone here on INGO shared an article about home defense shotguns or shotguns in general but for selfdefense reasons that I personally thought was spot on in about every way. I'll see if I can't find it for you and then you can read it and come to your own conclusion.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Personally I prefer a regular stock, but more importantly the stock choice should be driven by the controls on that specific shotgun. For example, on Mossberg 500/590/930/etc models the safety is on top of the receiver and is meant to be operated with your thumb. It's impossible to operate that safety lever without taking your hand off the pistol grip. On remingtons it's not such an issue because the safety is near the trigger guard. Consider the location and operation of the bolt release as well.

My point is simply that you should be able to operate the controls without having to move your hand off the grip, so make sure the stock you choose is compatible with the gun's controls. It's not that big a deal if you're talking about hunting, but for an HD role that seems like an important consideration to me.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the replies,
    I opted for the traditional grip.

Exploring the possibilities of this as a HD shotgun for the family.
    Going to see how the wife & kids do actually firing it. The plan is to have an inexpensive shotgun to leave readily available & not worry about in & out of the safe.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    after holding the shotgun for a long time your wrist might be more prone to getting cramped and irritated with a traditional shotgun stock....the pistol grip might be a little more comfy ergonomically speaking...i dont think it makes much difference in performance or anything though

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    after holding the shotgun for a long time your wrist might be more prone to getting cramped and irritated with a traditional shotgun stock....the pistol grip might be a little more comfy ergonomically speaking...i dont think it makes much difference in performance or anything though

If you are holding a HOME DEFENSE shotgun long enough for your wrists to cramp and get irritated, you must be under siege!!!

Post #12 applies the best. If you can't manipulate the safety/bolt release/etc without taking your hands off the pistol grip, you don't want to consider having one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

We have found the stock in the pic allows for more control of recoil when you run an auto loader. It works with a pump as well. Run some serious loads with that stock and your shoulder will be better off for it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you are holding a HOME DEFENSE shotgun long enough for your wrists to cramp and get irritated, you must be under siege!!!

Post #12 applies the best. If you can't manipulate the safety/bolt release/etc without taking your hands off the pistol grip, you don't want to consider having one.

930 Mossburg is set up for this. All controls are easy peasy to operate. Right gun for the right job.

Top Bottom