• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I have a little different approach. My shotgun next to the bed is for defense only. I dont plan on clearing my house and going on the offensive if there is an intruder. We dont have any children to round up in case of emergency. Our plan is to hunker down in the bedroom while my wife dials 911.

Best case, wife is dialing 911 while I have the tritium bead on my shotgun focused on the bedroom door. Worst case, I have to try and grab my G17 w/flashlight off the nightstand in a fog while my bedroom door is being kicked open.

I opt to just run a mag extension with a tritium bead on my HD shotgun. I think its all I need for my plan and situation.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Light
    Buckshot
    Oversized safety
    These are all good things to have in the dark when you wake from a deep sleep, head pounding, adrenaline pumping, heart racing and eyes blurry.

Anything after that is either because you know what you want and how it goes with your tactics OR you saw it in a cool picture. Keeping the gun compact and light is a good idea for your first shotgun so get 18" barrel.

Post above gets it right, there is no award for going fast and clearing your house against the clock.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Funny thing about lasers on shotguns......they point where the barrel points and the barrel points where your eyes point. If your eyes lock on the laser it is kind of like the tail wagging the dog.

tj_v89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Very good stuff here. I'm kinda wishing I would have went with an 870 as to add a collapsible stock, bc I can see how a pistol grip would make the safety awkward to get to on my Mossberg. Can I get a moveable stock without a pistol grip? My thoughts for having a collapsible stock is so my wife (small frame) can also operate the gun. I also looked a a quick video trailer for Magpuls shotgun dynamics, and I saw on there where an instructor did a slug change over and he was definitely using an 870. Either way, I plan on doing training with my brother who owns a tactical firearms school and has lots of hours logged on his shotgun platform.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A light and ammo. Surefire is excellent.

Shotgun Forend WeaponLights

Doesn't the 590 hold either 7+1 or 8+1 with standard sized shells? Not sure what sort of home invasion you are picturing that can't be solved with 8-9 rounds of buckshot so I wouldn't consider a side saddle of any type necessary. Doesn't mean you can't slap one on of course, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity.

Also not a necessity, but a recoil reducing stock can make practice more enjoyable, and might let smaller framed shooters have more controlled follow up shots.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If you CAN'T afford the Surefire weapon light and most new shotgun owners can't afford a lot of bells and whistles. Ghost ring sights are extras. A foreend with rails or can attach rails so you can buy a good light of your choice. A Surefire weapon light foreend is a get what you've paid for option. I've recently bought the Magpul Foreend, expensive but worth it, attached a rail to the side and placed a light there and I have an AFG.

Top Bottom