• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rs1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    lafayette
    So just a little clarification the way the law reads now I can not drive on school grounds and stay in my truck and pick up my child with my EDC on me. And this bill will allow that. That is how I understand it anyway

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So just a little clarification the way the law reads now I can not drive on school grounds and stay in my truck and pick up my child with my EDC on me. And this bill will allow that. That is how I understand it anyway

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

As long as you have a LTCH and are OPERATING a motor vehicle (don't get out of it), you are okay. Currently, you CANNOT do the common sense thing of locking your firearm in your vehicle and then get out of it without committing a D felony. You also cannot currently legally carry a firearm or store it in your vehicle while going to church if your church shares property with a school, as this currently falls under the definition of school property. HB 1473 fixes these issues.

This bill is currently stalled in Public Policy Committee. Letters, e-mails and phone calls to Speaker Bosma and the Chair of Public Policy, Representative Bill Davis, would help the cause. PLEASE BE POLITE! Everyone is very sensitive right now due to the environment brought about by Newtown, but it has not been ruled it out yet.

rs1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    lafayette
    John
    Thank you for clearing this up for me. I have allready emailed them on thos bill just asking for them to support it

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Currently you can carry a weapon in to school property to pick up or drop your child. However, you must stay in the vehicle with your weapon. You can not leave your weapon locked in the car while inside.

This bill will allow you to keep your weapon in the vehicle locked and out if sight while inside the school during a meeting with the teacher or staff member.

Top Bottom