HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    There is a 243 WSSM too...
    Yes, the 1997 list from Cartridges of the World is an "oldie" but "goody". There will be some new cartridges that were mainly designed for their target accuracy. I believe the .243 WSSM is one of them which may be a marginal deer hunting cartridge. But, let's let the hunters harvest the deer and the DNR collect the data on who uses what cartridges & calibers for their fifth year report back to the lawmakers. Good hunting and shooting for everyone.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Lower Michigan and Ohio both now allow sraight-walled rifles, and Illinois currently has some sort of deer rifle bill weaving its way through their legislature.

Yes, I must correct myself about Indiana becoming very attractive deer hunting state to our neighbors who lack such a rifle season. Lower MI, OH & IL have no rifle seasons like the New Indiana Deer Seasons using the many rifles and 10mm handguns as established by HR1231. Many hunters will want to spend their money and travel to the Hoosier state to hunt deer with rifles like the .300 Weatherby Mag.. The economic boost to Indiana will be huge from this new opportunity. Just embrace the opportunity and enjoy it.:):

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I'm all for freedom and have no problem whatsoever with a liberal interpretation of the bill that will allow lots of new cartridges, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt what the conference committee intended when they chose those five cartridges. You can watch video of the meeting. I'd be totally surprised if the Legislature does not add suffixes on the technical corrections day. Again, I believe that it should have been .243" and up, I'm just saying not to run out and buy something like a .243 WSSM until the hunting regs are printed.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I don't know a single person who owns a factory WSSM. In fact, I thought the entire line was dead, with the exception of people wildcatting .358's from the brass.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Chapter 1 Cartridge Nomenclature
    “The truth of the matter is that the American “system” of cartridge nomenclature really hasn’t any system to it, and can only be learned through reading and learning.” 1.

The present language of HR1231 is sufficient “as is”. No deer or politician will be able to detect any difference between any of the chambered rifles, with all of the cartridge variations because each of the cartridges will be very effective. So what if the number of cartridges exceeds five. Looks like the 30-06 and .300 were last minute conference committee additions anyway. The whole matter just makes us look like amateurs who lack “reading and learning”.
    So leave it alone and act like it was the plan all along.

1. Cartridges of the World, 8th Edition, Revised and Expanded, 1997 by Frank C. Barnes p.8

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The sad thing is that I moved to Indiana from out west 22 years ago. For some stupid reason I let Don's Guns convince me to sell my Remington BDL 30-06 with Leupold 3x9 scope to them for $150. I have regretted that almost from the moment I walked out of the store.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The sad thing is that I moved to Indiana from out west 22 years ago. For some stupid reason I let Don's Guns convince me to sell my Remington BDL 30-06 with Leupold 3x9 scope to them for $150. I have regretted that almost from the moment I walked out of the store.

I bought a Browning BAR Safari in .30-06 on a whim a few years ago. Now I'm glad I got it then.
    I have a feeling that the prices on these caliber rifles are going to start going up.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I bought a Browning BAR Safari in .30-06 on a whim a few years ago. Now I'm glad I got it then.
    I have a feeling that the prices on these caliber rifles are going to start going up.
    Great buy. Keep and eye on the Cabelas & Gander Mtn. Ads. Once they get wise to this package deals on rifles will be cheap, light-weight and accurate. I actually got a used Savage axis in 30-06, syn. stock with scope for $300. It shoots well and is much lighter than my Walnut Ruger M77 MKII in 30-06. Again, this whole thing is going to be an economic boom for many. Good hunting and shooting.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I like the list in the law very much, and would like to believe the legislature wrote "chambered" and "cartridges" in (b)(3) then intentionally neglected to list any so as to flush out ignorance on the subject.

Were I involved and found people using phrases like "chamber size" I would be very pleased at my effort.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

I actually did the polar opposite.
    I bought my Ruger M77 .30-06 in 1989 while I was still serving in the Navy, knowing full well that Indiana didn't allow high-powered rifles (actually, at the time, they didn't allow even handgun caliber rifles) for deer, but I went ahead and forked over the $400 for the rifle and later the $250 for the really nice Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 that it currently wears.
    I had wanted a proper .30-06 for years, and I was either hoping for an opportunity to hunt with it in another state that allowed such rifles, or would bide my time in the hopes that Indiana would incrementally work up to allowing proper rifles.
    In all the intervening years, I've had plenty of time to glass bed the Ruger and work up the loads that it does its best with, and I resolved never to sell it unless circumstances became so dire that I had no real choice but to sell.
    Well, to say that I'm elated to finally have the long-awaited opportunity to legally take the Ruger to the woods this fall would be an understatement.
    Oh, and seeing what Don gave you for your rifle only proves what a swindler he was to give such a pittance.
    You can bet your sack that ol' Don turned right around and sold it for at least $600.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Don't have time to read all the comments.... why was the .270WIN left out of the running? Mine worked for me quite well in ND and is one of the most popular deer cartridges. Now that I moved to IN, gosh darn it: "Honey I have to buy a new deer rifle..." :whistle: :rockwoot:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    .243 WSSM...............I thought people who bought into the WSSM were rather quiet about their folly.

;)

I own a Model 70 in .243 WSSM that I bought dirt cheap with the intent of using the action as the basis for a .358 WSSM. After shooting the .243 WSSM for awhile, I decided to keep it and use a Savage WSM action for the .358 build instead. I actually prefer the WSSM to my standard .243 Win, the WSSM shoots a few hundred fps faster and tends to be more accurate with a wider variety of bullet weights/styles than my .243 Win.

CLR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Wouldn't worry too much about farmers having issues with MSRs. If they are that fickle they proly wouldn't let you hunt their ground anyway (or will use any excuse to rescind permission and give to somebody else- proly somebody paying more).

As long as you don't run all 10 rounds fast this fall, I bet 99% will be cool with it. Even if you did burn all 10 fast.........if you had several deer down they might be downright happy.

I sure I won't burn through them but I worry that some would rapid fire through their 10 and stir up some commotion over it. Nothing would neuter the bill faster than locals saying machine guns are loose around their town.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, I must correct myself about Indiana becoming very attractive deer hunting state to our neighbors who lack such a rifle season. Lower MI, OH & IL have no rifle seasons like the New Indiana Deer Seasons using the many rifles and 10mm handguns as established by HR1231. Many hunters will want to spend their money and travel to the Hoosier state to hunt deer with rifles like the .300 Weatherby Mag.. The economic boost to Indiana will be huge from this new opportunity. Just embrace the opportunity and enjoy it.:):

Only if all those coming in have private land setup to hunt on. Most people who go out of state end up on public land somewhere and if that's the case, this new law isn't as appealing to them since it changes nothing from previous years.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I like the list in the law very much, and would like to believe the legislature wrote "chambered" and "cartridges" in (b)(3) then intentionally neglected to list any so as to flush out ignorance on the subject.

Were I involved and found people using phrases like "chamber size" I would be very pleased at my effort.

Excellent and insightful thought!
    Gives me chills to think they knew what they were doing!
    Rifles “chambered” in One (1) of following “cartridges” : (A) to (E)
    as the law currently reads saves space and is more concise and flexible.
    We can work with it, using common references available on cartridge nomenclature.

Thankfully, it does NOT read-
    Rifles “chambered” in One (1) of the Five (5) following “cartridges” : (A) to (E)
    because there are NO such cartridges and it would just be awkward;

Because there are Zero (0), NO such cartridges using the-
    1. American system of cartridge nomenclature
    2. British system of cartridge nomenclature or
    3. European system of cartridge nomenclature,
    4.Second Regular Session of the 119th General Assembly (2016) system of cartridge nomenclature. (I’m kidding with this last one)

as the
    Law reads:

(3) The rifle must be chambered for one (1) of the following cartridges:
    (A) .243.
    (B) .30-30.
    (C) .300.
    (D) .30-06.
    (E) .308.

We have hope by using some references to help us out.
    Using cartridges available from 1997, Cartridges of the World, 8th Ed. by Frank C. Barnes (which should be updated to be fair to Hoosier with newer cartridges):

(3) The rifle must be chambered for one (1) of the following cartridges:

(A) .243
    1- .243 Winchester p.29

(B) .30-30
    1- 30-30 Ackley Improved p.179
    2- 30-30 WCF p.52
    3- 30-30 Wesson p.106
    4- 30-30 Winchester p.52

(C) .300
    1- 300 (295) Rook p320
    2- 300 Belted Rimless Magnum (H&H) p.320
    3- 300 Canadian Magnum p.212
    4- 300 Dakota p.212
    5- 300 H&H Super p.58
    6- 300 Holland & Holland Magnum p.58
    7- 300 Pegasus p.213
    8- 300 Phoenix p.211
    9- 300 Savage p.53
    10- 300 Sherwood p.320
    11- 300 Weatherby Magnum p.60
    12- 300 Wisper p210
    13- 300 Winchester Magnum p.59

(D) .30-06
    1- 30-06 Ackley Improved p.180
    2- 30-06 Government p289
    3- 30-06 Springfield 57 p.289
    4- 30-06 U.S. p.289

(E) .308
    1- 308 Norma Magnum p.108
    2- 308 Winchester p.56
    3- 308X1.5“ Barnes p.178

In conclusion:
    Law needs no changes or technical revision. It’s just like every law, just refer to the dictionary, Cartridges of the World, 8th Ed, 1997, et.al. These cartridges will all kill deer equally well!
    Add some new cartridges added since 1997 and we have a list that can “Assist” Hoosiers in buying new rifles and dusting off ones they already own and get on with the intent of the law, to boost the economy and add to Hoosier sportsmen another option to hunt deer.

Last edited:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Are the case restrictions that are currently in place still law? How can they legalize 30-06 and not allow a .35 remington? I would like to use my 35 remington this year. So is the law now the same as it was + just these 5?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom