HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    You know what cracks me up-you cant possess more than 10 rounds of a cartridge. Why not? What difference does it make if you take a thousand rounds with your 30-30 or you only take 10? Youre limited to the number of deer you can shoot anyway.

This is one of those artificial safety rules. Sounds like it does something but it doesnt.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    You know what cracks me up-you cant possess more than 10 rounds of a cartridge. Why not? What difference does it make if you take a thousand rounds with your 30-30 or you only take 10? Youre limited to the number of deer you can shoot anyway.

This is one of those artificial safety rules. Sounds like it does something but it doesnt.

naw, They just figured if you can't get one with ten rounds you outta not be hunting:):

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Also, the stupidity that somebody can hunt with a 10.5" 300 AAC Blackout pistol, or a 16" 300 AAC Blackout rifle...but not a 10.5" 300 AAC Blackout SBR...

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    naw, They just figured if you can't get one with ten rounds you outta not be hunting:):

Who knows what they were thinking. Or if they were thinking. Since you can't get 10 rounds in a 30-30 anyway, I'm not sure how long they think the deer will stand around getting shot at :)

IN doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get everything done at once. Seems like things get accomplished on the installment plan. Pass some calibers but not others this year, modify it next year, refine it the following year, etc. DNR gets consulted and they attempt to put in some common sense. Or almost common sense. And boom, 8 years from now, we'll have this thing licked!

If they only pass one rifle caliber this year, I'm ok with it. They can add later. I'd rather see that than nothing pass and not see anyone attempt it again for 10 years.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Who knows what they were thinking. Or if they were thinking. Since you can't get 10 rounds in a 30-30 anyway, I'm not sure how long they think the deer will stand around getting shot at :)

IN doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get everything done at once. Seems like things get accomplished on the installment plan. Pass some calibers but not others this year, modify it next year, refine it the following year, etc. DNR gets consulted and they attempt to put in some common sense. Or almost common sense. And boom, 8 years from now, we'll have this thing licked!

If they only pass one rifle caliber this year, I'm ok with it. They can add later. I'd rather see that than nothing pass and not see anyone attempt it again for 10 years.

Absolutely

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'd rather the DNR/NRC had grown a pair and got this taken care of in the first place by people who had a freaking clue. There are plenty of times I don't agree with the logic of a law, but I can at least see where their logic comes from. Not so with this joke. IMO it makes the whole state look like a bunch of dumb a$&es.

It's pretty silly as written, true; but I'll take half a loaf over no loaf at all any day.
    They'll modify it as I suggested it will be, probably next session.
    Take what they're willing to offer for now.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Next question - Time is short.

One week from today and the session is over.

When do they vote?

If they wait until the last day or two and it gets voted down there is no time left for the conference committee to "fix it" again..

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'd rather the DNR/NRC had grown a pair and got this taken care of in the first place by people who had a freaking clue. There are plenty of times I don't agree with the logic of a law, but I can at least see where their logic comes from. Not so with this joke. IMO it makes the whole state look like a bunch of dumb a$&es.

While the DNR/NRC MIGHT have had more of a clue than the legislators involved in reconciling these proposed laws, let's not get too carried away. This is the same DNR after all, that just last year caved into the irrational fears of those claiming mass human casualties if rifles were legalized for deer hunting, citing only talking points that sounded more like anti-2A propaganda than reasoned arguments against rifles.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    It's pretty silly as written, true; but I'll take half a loaf over no loaf at all any day.
    They'll modify it as I suggested it will be, probably next session.
    Take what they're willing to offer for now.

Yep- 'bird in hand' definitely.

:ingo:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    House CCR is up:
    https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1231#document-08d343ce

The caliber restrictions were proposed by children who know not of what they are legislating (not surprised).

So somebody has a rager for 30 calibers...and the poorly written document has "300" covering everything from the Whisper/AAC Blackout to the 300 Rem Ultra mag, but not a 7.62x51, 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R (I'm wondering if the latter two were purposeful exemptions).

You can use a 243 Winchester or even WSSM, but not a 6mm Remington, 6BR, 6x45, or 6 Creedmoor.

I'd rather this bill pass than no bill at all, but G-D this thing went full potato...

The way it is written is totally idiotic.
    Part 1 has gone full potato, to say the least. I don't care if it is for "study period" or not;

Part 2 would allow .40 S&W (which is a commercially available bullet of 10 mm diameter) ... even thought i doubt that is the intention.

Next question - Time is short.

One week from today and the session is over.

When do they vote?

If they wait until the last day or two and it gets voted down there is no time left for the conference committee to "fix it" again..

This likely gets voted on today or tomorrow or Thursday; It appears it will need to go to thru rules committee as well.
    The session ENDS 3/14 (Monday) as the last day - but I suspect that it will go Sine Die (Gavel Down) Thursday 3/10.
    Having followed the IGA a few sessions, they've worked late Wednesday / Thursday to wrap - rather than extend a few days.
    Plus they need time for the Speaker, President Pro-Temp and Pres (Lt. Gov) to sign stuff.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Why in the hell didn't they just specifically call out the 10mm auto as now legal (only exception to handgun spec)?

Or do same with .30-30 in rifle?

I could see one or two special allowances. But the way they have the rifle stuff written now, by calling out a handful of cartridges as legal...........most .30 cal and one 6mm.............is beyond stupid.

Should have been a min case length and min cal and that's it (with mention of cartridges that fit spec but lack power as illegal- like they did with handgun).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If using ANY detachable mag rig I'd at least have 2 mags on me.
    Never lost a mag, or dropped one afield...........but always prepare for Murphy.
    Why isn't a mag capacity limit specified and not worded as "possession limit"?

Tossing a box of .243 in your pack, even if running a Ruger #1...........puts you into trouble.

That's stupid.

MSR guys proly need two mags, each limited to 5 rounds (ah yes, I see where Magpul makes a -5 adapter for their 10 rounders).
    Hmmmm, blast Bambi with an FAL? Brownells shows 5 rounders for $25.

Last edited:

Hodi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Hey brotherbill3, any advice on finding out where things are stand from the source? Every time I try to look up HB1231, I just get the original language that doesn't even specify any rifle calibers or dimensions. A link would be great.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Hey brotherbill3, any advice on finding out where things are stand from the source? Every time I try to look up HB1231, I just get the original language that doesn't even specify any rifle calibers or dimensions. A link would be great.

The link is in post 317...

Hodi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Thanks. I guess my phone doesn't like that page. All I can get to is the "digest." Maybe if I try it on my PC it will let me look beyond that.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    By the list, the ".300" will be legal.....................but what .300?

.300 Savage, .300 Blackout. 300 Winmag, .300 H&H, .300 RUM, .300 RCM, .300 WSM...............or any wildcat with a ".300" designation ?

The list as written, may make some legislators feel like this will increment things slowly, have control over the issue.
    The lack of specificity, allows folks some room to play.

Maybe somebody is trying to help, or it's just by luck, they didn't call out a specific .300 cartridge.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    By the list, the ".300" will be legal.....................but what .300?

.300 Savage, .300 Blackout. 300 Winmag, .300 H&H, .300 RUM, .300 RCM, .300 WSM...............or any wildcat with a ".300" designation ?

Even if one is not in favor of HP rifle changes, man what a load of crap the way the bill is written.

All of the above...

Top Bottom