HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    As I understand the process, the currently-amended bill must pass the Senate on Third Reading tomorrow (Tuesday, March 1). It may pass or be defeated tomorrow. If defeated tomorrow it is dead. IF it passes it will go to a joint Senate/House committee to TRY to work out differences in the bills. Conference committees begin Wednesday, March 2 . IF differences are worked out the resulting compromise bill goes back to both the full Senate and full House for a vote. IF it fails to pass either the Senate or the House it is dead. Experts please feel free to correct any errors.

The 2016 legislative session is scheduled to end March 10.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Good info. So if it dies or lingers until march 10, its completely done for this session andbit has to start all over when they come back?

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    That is my interpretation if it is something done by the Indiana General Assembly. The IGA has only one session per year. I believe this year was the "short" session and next year would be their "long" session. Of course, the IDNR & NRC could theoretically do all or most of this through their usual rule-making process.

Texican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2016
    Portage
    So, could someone sum up this without me having to read 17 pages of forum posts?

Am I almost able to hunt with my .270 and .308, or is it not looking good?

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    That is my interpretation if it is something done by the Indiana General Assembly. The IGA has only one session per year. I believe this year was the "short" session and next year would be their "long" session. Of course, the IDNR & NRC could theoretically do all or most of this through their usual rule-making process.

And we know how long an Administrative Rules Process is.. If the DNR and NRC started today the earliest it would be legal to use a HPR would be the 2017-2018 season..

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    So, could someone sum up this without me having to read 17 pages of forum posts?

Yes. You are good to go. Get out there this weekend and put some whitetails down. I'll be out with my .30-06. Post some pics of anything you get.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012

Nothing has changed , yet. Hope still alive, lots of things added to it either out of ignorance, or out of intention to kill it. It still has a chance, and may pass even with those ignorant additions added. Read page 16 to see the summery of things added in red. Can't hunt until deer season anyway, so it will either pass or fail by then. If it passes, I don't know if it will go into effect this year or not. If it passes in any form, it will get better as the areas who are hunting with STANDARD hunting rifles see no increase of mass murders.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    However it passes, it will be used as an example of how it is perfectly safe and blood really didn't run in the streets. After a year or so, it will open it up to the whole state and we will use whatever areas are allowed as an example. I'm glad it may pass in some way, and glad the 10 mm is given the respect it deserves.

Exactly! This is clearly a step in the right direction and I really don't get the "law has to be exactly perfect or no change at all" mentality from some in this case. Removing the silly and unenforceable 10' rule was a step in the right direction. The "state land only" stipulation will likely be corrected but even if that is not the case, the law is a huge step closer to full legalization than where we are now. A north-south split rule is exactly what many proposed as a way for the DNR to overcome the objections of those in northern Indiana to full legalization of rifles, so it makes little sense to complain about that concept being included in this proposed law. If nothing else maybe the effort to pass this law will spur the DNR to at least take a step toward legalizing rifles.

I'm also fully on board with the legalization of the 10mm. I wish they would have thought to add the .460 Rowland too but I wouldn't jeopardize the law passing on account of that omission.

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Here is the link to all of the actual language in HB 1231, as amended by the Senate on February 29. This printing is dated today, March 1, which is the date that the bill goes to Third Reading in the Senate. The Senate proceedings should start around 10:30 AM with several bills to be considered besides HB 1231. If HB 1231 fails today it is dead. If it passes it goes to a conference committee of selected Senators and Representatives.

House Bill 1231 - Hunting and property management - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

You should be able to watch the live Senate Chamber webcast today:

Senate - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

Last edited:

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Here's my greatest beef with this whole thing, and every sportsman should feel the same (no matter your stance on HPRs allowed).

The DNR and even the NRC were formed by the State to organize and operate and run all Fish and Wildlife related things. Bag limits, seasons, regulations and such. Last year there was serious discussion about the inclusion of HPRs in a broader way than already allowed (which they are). In the end the DNR/NRC both concluded it was far too much of a split 50-50 subject with Indiana hunters...I bet if it had been more like 66% for we may have very well made it. I think they made the right call not going with a change no more are for than are against.

If bow hunters united and attempted to push firearm seasons be cut by 50% days wise, and it was split 50-50 I would hope for a similar response from them.

So now that the HPR fanboys did not get their way they are attempting to supercede the DNR by forcing it in legislatively. This is NOT something any sportsman should desire. If we are going to allow HPRs, so be it, but we need to do it the right way.

Many of our legislative servants know VERY little about hunting or fishing or the outdoors and that is why the DNR exists...so we do not have as great of an "ivory tower" syndrome occurrence in our regulations when it comes to hunting and fishing.

I for one hope it doesn't pass, but it has NOTHING to do with the bill or what is in it...it has everything to do with the avenue being taken.

Top Bottom