HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If there is a sudden increase in the price of hunting leases in southern Indiana after such a law passes then that will only encourage the use of rifles to expand in the very near future.

That'd be great. If the price of having rifles allowed is the inability of thousands of Hoosiers to hunt whitetail count me in. Only the rich or those with birthright access to land should be able to hunt.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If these rumors pan out, and they pass the law with the inane stipulations attached, it just proves their concern is NOT for herd management in this case.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    The more i think about this the more i get confused. After reading the amended bill i have to think that if this passes ALL rifles will be subject to the new regulations. Basically if your rifle is legal to hunt with in Indiana you will have to be 10foot off the ground to use it. So currently you can legally use your 44mag lever action while on the ground, but if this passes you won't be able to.

This isn't a step forward; it's a huge leap backwards!

You know if Indianapolis is that afraid, exclude Marion County and leave the rest of the state alone...we got it.

Does anyone know if this bill affects current legal "pistol cartridges"?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

That'd be great. If the price of having rifles allowed is the inability of thousands of Hoosiers to hunt whitetail count me in. Only the rich or those with birthright access to land should be able to hunt.

That's nice that you seem to feel entitled to land to hunt on with out making the decisions and sacrifices necessary to acquire it but the whole argument about legalizing rifles raising lease prices is a red herring.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That's nice that you seem to feel entitled to land to hunt on with out making the decisions and sacrifices necessary to acquire it but the whole argument about legalizing rifles raising lease prices is a red herring.

Feel better? I don't feel entitled to ****, I hunt on a lease now and work my ass off for the privilege. It would be nice if Indiana had more than 1.33% of the land owned by the state and available to the public but we don't. Plenty of other states have a hell of a lot more land available for public access hunting, sorry if you feel no one deserves to hunt who doesn't own land. I don't see increased leasing costs as a positive, I'll leave that to you and the greedy. Red herring or not, I didn't introduce it into the conversation.

Last edited:

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    The more i think about this the more i get confused. After reading the amended bill i have to think that if this passes ALL rifles will be subject to the new regulations. Basically if your rifle is legal to hunt with in Indiana you will have to be 10foot off the ground to use it. So currently you can legally use your 44mag lever action while on the ground, but if this passes you won't be able to.

This isn't a step forward; it's a huge leap backwards!

Before it's over, we'll all be in tree stands with NERF-tipped spears painted bright orange. And only allowed to throw them at 18 point bucks or bigger.

Or, we'll just all wise up and take our rifles to other states and hunt like a normal, free person.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I do not think that DNR will apply the rule of being 10 ft off the ground to other firearms. Pistol cartridge rifles should be treated the same as shotguns and muzzleloaders.

I think that this will pass and DNR will allow the use of HPR during the last week of gun season or another period that is later in the overall season. At least for the first couple of seasons

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    HB 1231 update:

Here is the link to HB 1231 as amended in the House and sent to the Senate.
    House Bill 1231 - Hunting and property management - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

HB 1231 is scheduled for Second Reading on the Senate floor sometime after 1:30 PM tomorrow, Feb 25.
    Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

Looks like the Senate has a pretty full agenda for the afternoon.

The clock is ticking (updated):

Deadline for Senate committee reports on HBs in Senate is February 25.
    Deadline for 2nd reading of HBs in Senate is February 29.
    Deadline for 3rd reading of HBs in Senate is March 1.
    Conference committees begin March 2.
    Deadline to adjourn 2016 General Assembly Session is March 10.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Someone care to explain in non-lawyer terms whats going on?

They have to read it so many times by those dates or it dies? Do they have to start it over again from scratch in the future? When is that?

thanks.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    There was a an amendment put forth to remove the north south boundary. IOW - Make it the whole state.

Might be some more forthcoming.. Hopefully removing the 10' rule.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Submitted my application for a patent on my 10', camo hunting stilts this morning. Gonna make a million bucks.

Nice!

I assume these are for a person? I ask because I've invented a 4-legged hunting blind with 10' stilts, controlled by levers. I didn't want to infringe.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nice!

I assume these are for a person? I ask because I've invented a 4-legged hunting blind with 10' stilts, controlled by levers. I didn't want to infringe.

We're good, no conflicts at all. Perhaps we should join forces and build the next billion dollar corporation?!?!?!

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    We're good, no conflicts at all. Perhaps we should join forces and build the next billion dollar corporation?!?!?!

Might want to go with "million" instead of "billion". After all, how many other states outside of Indiana would be stupid enough to go for this?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You guys are way behind on the Forest Redneck Rube Goldberg curve. If you want to pay for your new Hoosier "30 ought 12 magnum deer slayer" rifle, lease your land to Northern Wisconsin trophy hunters. They beg me all the time for connections.

Click on over winter density. If you want to kill a Wisconsin deer go where the numbers are high. If you want to hunt, go where they are low. We have 5 people per square mile but 13 deer. You may not get a deer, but you will hunt. Deer Abundance and Density Maps - Wisconsin DNR

Between Federal, State, County and paper company lands I have access. Deer here are smart. No dumb deer lives long in forests full of wolves, coyote, bear and snow.

Top Bottom