• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am able to sign in and select my form ok I can even get through the manufacturers verification. My trouble starts when I try to upload my trust paperwork. I get error message that the file is to large. any suggestions ?

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    How large is your file? The file I use to attach to e-files is 166kb. I scanned the paper form myself into a PDF file and to get it to this size I scanned Black/White at 150dpi. When you open the file it is not very high quality looking but is perfectly fine for the Form 1 E-file. I have other much higher resolution scans of the same document. I've gotten six Form 1 stamps back in the last five months using this upload doc.

The information below is from this web site that provides one individuals instructions for e-filing. Hope this helps.
    Visual guide: How to fill out a Form 1 using EFORMS - AR15.COM

From EForms bulletin:

Attachment Limitations
    The maximum size of a single upload for an attachment is 3 MB and the total size of the attachments cannot exceed 30 MB (with a maximum number of attachments of 10 at- tachment for the Forms 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, and 10). Forms 6 and 6A may contain a maximum of 10 line attachments per line item (the total submission cannot exceed 30 MB per submission).

Instructions NFA Trust Documents:
    We have been advised that, for NFA forms, the size of the trust or corporate documents may exceed the 3 MB limit. If you encounter this situation, we suggest that you split the document into 2 or more ‘packages’ (as needed). When the attachments are added, identify the packages as, for exam- ple, ‘XXX Trust 1 of 3,’ ‘XXX Trust 2 of 3,’ etc.

ETA 5/12/14: There's often a discussion about file size for attachments, and people having trouble getting their document scanned into a single file 3MB or less. I've always tried to point out that checking the settings is the key. B&W scans are significantly smaller than color, even if the document is nothing by black text. You also don't need extremely high dpi to make it readable.

I took a single paper Form 1 I had (so there is one small color section, the stamp itself) and scanned it on my Brother multi-function printer multiple times using every quality option I had available. Here are the results:

B&W 100dpi = 36KB
    B&W 200dpi = 77KB
    B&W 300dpi = 133KB
    Color 100dpi = 113KB
    Color 200dpi = 313KB
    Color 300dpi = 573KB
    Color 600dpi = 1,228KB

So, based on that sample, a color scan is 3-4.5 times the size of a B&W scan. My trust scanned in at ~7MB at the default setting of 200dpi color. I submitted a 200dpi B&W copy which was only 1.7MB.

CyberGuyPR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    NWI
    Are you scanning it or taking pics? Either way most scanners/cameras produce very big files way past the 3MB eforms limit by default. You may need to dial the resilution down a bit.

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    If you scanned to individual jpg files you will need to combine them into a single pdf and reduce the size of the file. You can download a copy of adobe pro and do this easy with a few clicks. It is a free 30 day trial.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    thanks for all the good info, hate to say it but I'm not a techy guy I barely get by just logging into this website. round two

The ATF's web site is anything but well designed. It's clear that it was another case of the low-bidder getting the contract. So don't feel bad, even experts have trouble with it.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    thanks for all the good info, hate to say it but I'm not a techy guy I barely get by just logging into this website. round two

Assuming you don't have your own scanner:
    Take the paper trust document to a Kinkos or similar place and ask them to scan it to a "PDF file" in "Black and White mode" at a resolution of 150 dpi (dots per inch) or no more than 200 dpi. You will either need to take a flash drive ("thumb drive") with you to store the electronic document or they can sell you one there most likely. They will scan it and save it on the flash drive. You can then take the flash drive home, plug it in to a USB port on your computer, and copy the file to a folder on your home PC and have it ready for upload to the e-file site.

Even a fairly large document that is text only (which a Trust will be) that is scanned at the settings I note above will end up being one simple to upload file that is a fraction of the size maximum allowed.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    rescanned my trust at 150 dpi and managed to get through the rest of the website with no issues and BOOM! my first form 1. could not have done without the help thanks a ton guys

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I kept getting kicked out of the system when I added a firearm then added the Trust paperwork. I fixed it by not adding the paperwork on the same page as the firearm. Added it on the next page and no problems.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I kept getting kicked out of the system when I added a firearm then added the Trust paperwork. I fixed it by not adding the paperwork on the same page as the firearm. Added it on the next page and no problems.

The link I supplied in post #2 goes through all of that. Very helpful for anyone's first time filing.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    The link I supplied in post #2 goes through all of that. Very helpful for anyone's first time filing.

I went through it then watched the video he linked to. The only real difference is where to upload the file so of course that's what I had trouble with! Thanks for the post.

Top Bottom