• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I understand this is perfectly legal, but somewhat confusing to me. I mom wants to get me a handgun as a gift since I have been talking about buying one from a private individual but I can't seem to find a deal on one I want on here. The prices are right but they are either unwilling to sell to someone under 21 or a non LTCH holder(which is my case here, both age and no LTCH) or they are way too far away so she just wants to go to the LGS and get one for me. I have my eye on the Shield 40 they have in stock. Would it raise questions if I went with her but she is the one with the money and filling out the form?

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    As long as you aren't giving her the money for the gun and she doesn't sell it to you, you are good to go. It's only a straw purchase if she is purchasing it with your money. Obviously this is all assuming that you are a "proper" person.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    As long as you aren't giving her the money for the gun and she doesn't sell it to you, you are good to go. It's only a straw purchase if she is purchasing it with your money. Obviously this is all assuming that you are a "proper" person.

Yes I am a "proper" person. I have bought rifles from shops so I can pass the background check with flying colors. I assume I'm good to go then?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

Q: May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(x)

That said, can the FFL choose not to sell if they think there is something unlawful going on? Yes, they can.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    When my son was legally able to purchase we went to legs and bought him his handgun. He filled out the 4473 and I paid. Since background check was in his name there was no issue with me paying for it. We asked prior to purchase and response was "his name as owner, he owns it, he is the responsible party. Doesn't matter who pays". I did show id as his "old man". Non issue.

Top Bottom