• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Ok we are looking at buying a house on some acreage and there is a flat clear area on the property that we are thinking about making a pond. The area is a little over an acre, it is mostly flat but does have a slight slope. This pond would be for fishing and swimming. Has anyone ever priced having this done? I have heard that it is not as easy as just digging a hole. To support fish you need to have a water source, like a well, in the summer to ensure the levels don't get too low. Also you need to making sure the soil is not too porous so the water does not just drain out. Does anyone have a good company in Indiana that does this stuff? I want it to be a quality pond and not just turn into a mud pit. I have never had a project like this done and I am trying to do some leg work. Any input is welcome.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I dont know if this is still relevant to you but, my father had a one acre pond dug and a well placed 10 years ago and I remember it was about $14k. I am sure it is much more now...

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Final grade does good pond work, Stacey's excavating, Firm Foundation, Wharf Excavating. . . Call any excavation company, we're all hurting for work. . .

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    there is a lot to it. first of all a 1 acre plot will only get you a 1/2 acre pond tops ( if done right ). there is a lot of rules ( dont quote me on the distances) but you have to be 60 feet from your well, 40 feet from all property edges, and 50 feet from the road. and that is to the front of the hill around the pond. so if you have a 12 foot wide hill the water would be 62 feet away from the road. and big thing here if you want a quaility pond dont let them try to take short cuts and dig you shallow banks. a lot of companies will do this so there is not as much dirt to take out and make is look like a bigger pond. but light penatrates like 20" into the water (dont quote me on the measurments here either) but that means weeds will grow till the water is deeper than that.
    now if you want the dirt halled away you can but they can get about 1 load an hour and the dump truck costs 75 dollars an hour so that will be about 20,000 dollars to get the dirt removed ( that was not an option for me I dont have that kind of money ) but for a half acre pond and a beach put it with rocks around it done the right way for me way going to be about 11,000 dollars

hope this helps

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    cheaper to rent the equipment yourself and do it in a weekend. Never had a problem finding a place to put clean fill...

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    cheaper to rent the equipment yourself and do it in a weekend. Never had a problem finding a place to put clean fill...

Ya then it leaks. then you have to pay twice the amount to get it fixed and clay brung in.

DO NOT TRY IT YOURSELF !!! ( inless you have done a few before)
    you dont just dig a hole and let it fill up as some people may think

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    To have it done right it'll probably cost closer to around the $20K range.You could rent the equipment and do it yourself but it would more than likely become more of a hassle for you than a project.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    pond

My excavator dug a test hole to check soil properties. This is only a indicator and not a guarantee pond will hold water. Spring or springs feeding into pond are best but if not available you will need proper surface runoff from a good source. Also i don't recommend running the overflow pipe through dam too much of a potential to leak. A naturual overflow over undisturbed ground not the dam have worked best for me. Always incorparate a emergency spillway in the event your overflow fails. They will fill in with time so make it as deep as possible. Very rewarding to watch the pond come to life. Best deal for me was to use locals to do the work the know the soil types in your area better than others. Make sure contractor runs a compactor over dam as it is built this will ensure dam is packed or has the proper hardness. Good luck

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    Ya then it leaks. then you have to pay twice the amount to get it fixed and clay brung in.

DO NOT TRY IT YOURSELF !!! ( inless you have done a few before)
    you dont just dig a hole and let it fill up as some people may think

:yesway: Or if you do "just dig a hole" atleast line it with good clay so you have a chance of holding some water.

swbster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    It was maybe 5 years ago but I got in touch with DNR here in Noblesville and they had someone that specialized in water retention(ponds etc.). At the time, there was quite a bit of knowledge and services that they would provide for free. No digging but they can tell you a lot about what they already know about your location from there databases and some of the science behind water retention a your location. I also remember that they were willing to help offset the costs because of the serious issue of not being able to retain enough water in central Indiana. Hope this helps you.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    we talked about doing one on our farm. it would be about 5 acres in all, but it was a gully that had plenty of natural springs. just build a dam and dig down to the clay to get the pond to seal. it would have run about 12 grand and is defintally not a weekend project unless you have experiance in this area

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    As a pond owner of six years (the pond was already here), I have a few comments:

-- Don't do it all by yourself
    -- Research your contractor and make sure they have experience in pond creation. Any old excavator IS NOT NECESSARILY QUALIFIED to dig your pond.
    -- Ponds are far more complicated to do well than you realize.
    -- Pond Boss is a great resource and they publish a magazine too!
    -- DNR can be a helpful resource.
    -- Plan your structure for the fish before you start to fill the pond.
    -- Build your dock before you fill the pond. :)
    -- Eventually enjoy watching your kids and grandkids catch bluegills! :yesway:

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    Just a thought.I remember a few years ago Ray Scott the former B.A.S.S. president had a dvd on pond and lake construction and management selling for around $30.It might point you in the right direction and is a cheap investment when you consider you will be spending thousands.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    All you need is a liner (clay or concrete) and an aquifer. Some excavation equipment and a home your spoils. Sounds like fun. Make it deep or your fish won't survive.:yesway:

Squirrel Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    A lot more than just digging a hole. You would think a pond will hold about any were but not really. A ton of money has went into many a dry hole. The farm accoss from me the owner has had three different excavation companies in all ready and poor guy still hasn't had much luck. He would have been much better off buying a property with existing lake or pond if he really wanted water.

Top Bottom